Duke/Miami - Who to root for as GT?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
To my eye, I think our DL is bigger and faster than Duke's. What's your opinion?

Also, I think Duke J will have a hard time working as much next week as he did yesterday. 25 carries for 155 yards is a load especially given his running style and the hits he took.

It should be a very good game if we can play disciplined with a positive turnover ratio and few penalties.
Dook not bad football team but no doubt the folks they play has helped them won loss wise.They do play hard but yeah......they need some more athletes to really get the thing going on...It will be tough but we should be able to handle.them.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What I'm hoping–and I bet it happens–is that it is da U's game against Nebraska that's more indicative then what we saw last night.

The Huskers run a combination of the pistol and the spread. They had no trouble with Miami's D, though they do have that Abdullah guy. I think we'll do ok against them; they've never seen a QB as fast as JT (most nobody has since J. C. Watts) and I bet they have a time with him.

The main thing, as usual, is how well the D plays. If we do as well as we did against VT, then we should be slightly favors to win. If not, we will have problems. Aa an aside, it doesn't appear that Duke is as fast as he was before his broken ankle. He's as effective because he knows how to run and he has talent. He reminded me a lot of Choice last night; the speed burst he had before isn't there, but the sheer skill is.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think Duke beat Miami without Duke Johnson last year if I remember correctly.

@Whiskey_Clear Perryman is an ILB, he is usually one of our reads when the TO play is ran to his side. I agree we will have to block him on non TO plays, but I like to think we can scheme around him if we can't block him 1 on 1.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Duke Johnson might have got dinged up his knee in his last play against Duke. If you pause it you can see he gets a helmet to the knee that causes the flip. He limps off the field following the play and does not return (game was over by then anyways).

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Cool flip! The way he landed on the Duke player's legs that was almost be one of those weird plays where the runner doesn't make ground contact; can getup and keep running.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I think Duke beat Miami without Duke Johnson last year if I remember correctly.

@Whiskey_Clear Perryman is an ILB, he is usually one of our reads when the TO play is ran to his side. I agree we will have to block him on non TO plays, but I like to think we can scheme around him if we can't block him 1 on 1.

He will line up 6 yards deep like every other MLB and scrape to the motion side every time. He will be a tough blocking assignment for our A backs. I think we may see some misdirection to keep him from pinning his ears back. I also expect Miami to play us more "straight up" alignment wise, so if they aren't heads up on Burden, we may have a chance to run some midline.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
He will line up 6 yards deep like every other MLB and scrape to the motion side every time. He will be a tough blocking assignment for our A backs. I think we may see some misdirection to keep him from pinning his ears back. I also expect Miami to play us more "straight up" alignment wise, so if they aren't heads up on Burden, we may have a chance to run some midline.
Agreed and folk forget that Miami linebackers can run......faster than anybody we have played yet............I think they play head up on our OL and key on JT ...the pitch guys may make hay this weekend.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think he was hurting but not injured. Like I always say, go out there and try to hurt the person lined up across from you but don't try to injure them.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The knee is a funny thing. I can remember getting whacked there (against catcher's shin guards) and barely being able to walk off the field, only to be totally fine 2 minutes later. I have also experienced the opposite where I played through something that seemed minor at the time only to barely be able to walk down stairs the next morning. So, you never know.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke is knicked up. He'll be less effective the more he is played. But he is their go to guy and a great running back. I'm glad Duke and not Miami got the bye week before us.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
The knee is a funny thing. I can remember getting whacked there (against catcher's shin guards) and barely being able to walk off the field, only to be totally fine 2 minutes later. I have also experienced the opposite where I played through something that seemed minor at the time only to barely be able to walk down stairs the next morning. So, you never know.
Of course age has or shoudl I say youth has much to do with it but can remember getting leg whipped or hit low on ankles on Friday fifty years ago.......go to local slopshoot and hang out and then..........on Saturday morning wondered what truck had hit me on the legs.............yeah ole Duke will be ready .

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Duke is knicked up. He'll be less effective the more he is played. But he is their go to guy and a great running back. I'm glad Duke and not Miami got the bye week before us.
Yeah like I said if they start off fast ole Duke will not have to do so much running........stop them or him early and let the hair flow with the hide.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Why all the Corn Elder hate? He chose Miami over us but was never committed to GT.

Antonio Crawford, I could understand as he flipped about a week before NSD.