Duke/Miami - Who to root for as GT?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Well neither team looked stellar tonight. Miami gets the win, but both teams had a lot of unforced errors. Miami is beatable, but it won't be easy. We need to play our best game of the season next Saturday to being home the win.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Miamis offense was not very impressive. But the dline got a ton of hits on the qb...we need to bring our a game on the oline to keep jt in 1 piece. I like our odds more given the extra week of prep time.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
17 and 52 will be a handful. Chickalo didn't really stand out. Their corners look tiny.
OL lost a few guys. Hopefully they keep with the pass happiness. They averaged 6 plus per carry on the ground. We have our hands full in the trenches.

On Duke's side they have Cash and that's it on D. I think they have comparable talent to GSU on D. They miss their MLB.
Boone looked eratic, and Duke has no skill talent besides Crowder.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think both Duke and Miami looked fairly good against each other. Seemed like an even matchup honestly. I'm impressed with Muami talent on O. Like UGA, they don't run often enough IMO. Huard is a tool but was right about that. Miami is big and strong on the front 7 on D. But they still look big n slow to me. We shall soon see what is what.
Go Jackets!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Both teams were very sloppy IMHO. 16 penalties (which were accepted) and 5 turnovers. Combined 4 for 29 on 3rd down conversions (total of 2 for each team). But there was a heavy rain in the 3rd qtr. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400547754

Duke J was a beast - got 75% of their rushing yards 155 yards in 25 carries. How healthy he is will affect our game.

I ended up rooting for Miami because the Duke love is undeserved IMHO - mostly the ESPN hype machine probably. We just have to take care of our business.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Both teams were very sloppy IMHO. 16 penalties (which were accepted) and 5 turnovers. Combined 4 for 29 on 3rd down conversions (total of 2 for each team).

I did something I rarely do - watch an ACC game not involving GT. Neither team was impressive. I fell asleep. The key to our game with Miami is limiting their running game and getting some stops. Their FR QB was not real sharp.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If one thing encourages me about the Miami game, it is this: they looked like they could have rammed it down DUKE's throat running the ball but they seemed to have no inclination to do so. They kept shooting themselves in the foot taking shots down field. I hope they do the same against us. They are a talented team, but they have issues too. It should be a good game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If one thing encourages me about the Miami game, it is this: they looked like they could have rammed it down DUKE's throat running the ball but they seemed to have no inclination to do so. They kept shooting themselves in the foot taking shots down field. I hope they do the same against us. They are a talented team, but they have issues too. It should be a good game.

this is what concerns me. I recall Ga. beating us like this a few years back at BDS when we were favored by simply handing off to the TB on almost every play. I think Miami has the size up front and speed in the backfield to do just that. That is, imo, the worst kind of beating - when you know what is coming but simply cannot stop it.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Ok, Miami is favored by 5 to 7 points in Miami. http://www.thepredictiontracker.com/predncaa.html http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Noon ESPN game.

Ok, Duke has played ****ty competition* but they have taken care of business and easily won. The only opponent adjusted stat out there I know of (before 7 games into the season) it S&P Offence at Football Outsiders. Overall, Duke is 53rd and Miami is 12th http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaoff (We are 13th!)

But if you go to the raw stats, Duke is 30th and Miami is 84th in overall offense. http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category10/sort01.html Shows the importance of who you play. Alabama or Alabama A&M make a difference. On defense, Miami is 22nd and Duke is 46th (See ****ty *).

Who do WE want to win?
  • The advantages for us of Miami winning is it shows Duke 2013 was a fluke. Then they have a week to realize they are pretenders. That's about it.
  • But Duke winning would demoralize the bullies at Miami the week before they play us and make them even less disciplined. Plus Miami has a lot more talent and could get it together so Miami is more dangerous overall. A Duke win against a real team could give them a lot of confidence.**
Probably more of a benefit for us if Duke wins since I think we will run on them all day. I think the Duke/Miami game will be a close game (less than two scores difference).

But Vegas is right 80+% of the time so it's probably Miami which really doesn't matter much.

GT has control of our destiny. Last time that happened was in 2009 when we beat VT. We lost to Miami that year (only ACC loss of the year). But that discussion is next week.

* ****ty competition is defined by Elon, Troy (away), Kansas and Tulane.
** Duke fans don't have a lot of enthusiasm. Look at how their home game attendance has gone down ... was only 20K for Tulane last week. Beating them before they get going is important. http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/193/index.html
Watched some of the game yesterday and Miami decided it wanted to play and it did.Dook hangs in there but no question that when right Miami can play with all most anybody.We are in for a fight with the Canes but they are head cases so who really knows who will show up but.........we better be ready to play !

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe they were trying to use Duke Johnson sparingly due to ankle sprang?

Duke passed a lot more than normal.

Animal02

Banned
Watched some of the game yesterday and Miami decided it wanted to play and it did.Dook hangs in there but no question that when right Miami can play with all most anybody.We are in for a fight with the Canes but they are head cases so who really knows who will show up but.........we better be ready to play !
Every game left will be a fight......there are no pushovers on the schedule.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The strange thing to me was that Duke seemed to be able to run the ball against Miami. When they tried they had some success. Miami usually only rushed 4 and tried to take away some throws, but Duke was able to move the ball when they didn't fumble.

Miami will be a tougher game for is to win than Duke IMO.

The scary thing for me is that we will have to bring 5 or 6 to get pressure on the Miami QB. That may expose our young secondary. I will be interested to see what Roof's gameplan is for this one.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Miami as usual as good size/speed on defense, I believe next week we'll have to have a passing threat to slow them down.
First time I saw Duke play this year, based on that and looking at their previous schedule, I still don't see what all tthe hype was about ??

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

To my eye, I think our DL is bigger and faster than Duke's. What's your opinion?

Also, I think Duke J will have a hard time working as much next week as he did yesterday. 25 carries for 155 yards is a load especially given his running style and the hits he took.

It should be a very good game if we can play disciplined with a positive turnover ratio and few penalties.