Duke/Miami - Who to root for as GT?

DA U needs to beat DaUKE.

Gives us the best opportunity to win Coastal Division. Of course that assumes we played well the rest of the season and win many more games:D

Miami beats Duke, we beat Miami, then we beat Duke. Once we are 3-0 in the division with the tie breaker against all three, we can let the natural attrition play out among Pittsburgh, UNC, and the rest.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
As stated above, Miami will likely have 2 Atlantic losses on the season with FSU still to come, and Duke will likely have two Atlantic wins with WF and @Cuse on the schedule. That means we need Miami to knock them off here. That's also why I think we could survive a loss to Miami, but not Duke based on tie-breakers at the end of the season. The Miami loss to Louisville was big to start the season. You'll have to be at least 5-3 (probably 6-2) to win the division and they are looking at needing to go 5-1 or 6-0 in the division (assuming an FSU loss).

If Duke wins their next two games (@Miami, @GT) they have smooth sailing to finish at least 6-2 and win the division.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Miami beats Duke, we beat Miami, then we beat Duke. Once we are 3-0 in the division with the tie breaker against all three, we can let the natural attrition play out among Pittsburgh, UNC, and the rest.

Yeah, if we win the next 2 I'll probably book my hotel for Charlotte. But that's a tall order. I have us 55% to beat Miami and 70% to beat Duke, so that's still only ~35% to win both.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My hope is more specific. I am rooting for a 5 overtime win by Miami despite the loss of Johnson and Dorsett with twisted ankles which put them out for 2weeks. Their quarterbacks throwing hand injury was not serious, allowing him to be 70% as accurate as usual for the Tech game. Dukes valiant losing effort comes despite 5 starting linemen experiencing mild concussions and the quarterback tweaking his shoulder which will keep them all out for the Tech game. That should do it.
Well done. Since our preference would be that both teams lose on Saturday the next best thing is a game in which we are helped in the standings by a Duke loss but both teams come out of the game spent for the season.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
yeah I've changed my desire to a Miami victory and subsequent whole team arrest due to running an underground dogfighting ring in the locker room, and Anthony Boone and some other key players for Duke get non-career threatening injuries that take a month to heal. Maybe like all break their collar bone or something.

Wrecker1990

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah, if we win the next 2 I'll probably book my hotel for Charlotte. But that's a tall order. I have us 55% to beat Miami and 70% to beat Duke, so that's still only ~35% to win both.
I can never hear probabilities of dependent events without thinking of this:

"Doctors say that Nordberg has a 50/50 chance of living, though there's only a 10 percent chance of that." Ed - The Naked Gun.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Considering Duke Johnson's skill, I'd imagine we'll get to see how well Duke's D can defend the run.

It's nice to have very up-to-date tape to review before we play both teams. It's a win/win IMHO, but...
1. I hate miami
2. see #1

rooting for puke this time.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think I'm just going to root for GT to beat both Miami and Duke so I don't have to worry about this. Miami beats Duke helps us out for, but if we keep winning our games it won't matter. Miami not getting any momentum would be good for us too.
Then on the flip side Miami loses and then comes into our game in a "must win scenario." You know they probably have a L penciled in for us against Clemson and maybe even Pitt and probably assume 5-3 is good enough for the division.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I will root for Duke. I don't like daU, and with their talent level, I think they are more likely to get it going and win 6-7 or the last 7 ACC games than Duke. I will be surprised if 6 wins isn't enough to win the coastal. With Duke winning (probably won't) and FSU beating daU later this year, they could only have 5 wins...

We will outscore Duke again this year, and I don't believe they will beat both daU and VPI anyway.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Duke was not a fluke last year. I think their bowl game really proved that. Miami lost to Nebraska and will be circling the wagons at bome which is a large reason they are favored. CFB is super emotional.

Usually I'd want Duke to lose so Miami wouldnt be coming off a loss and psychologically out for blood. But sometimes when a team loses 2 in a row like this it can be demoralizing. Nonetheless I'm going to pull against Duke as I think in the end they will be vying for the coastal and Miami wo t.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
team arrest due to running an underground dogfighting ring in the locker room
seinfeld.gif

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
Miami easy for me.

Need Duke to climb back in their hole and go back to sleep for another 30 years.

Do not need an 0-2, desperate Miami visiting Bobby Dodd.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I can't personally root for either.

If you press me I don't truly believe that my rooting for a team or other superstitions effects the outcome of a game. However, if in fact I am wrong and the universe is formed in a manner where such things have any impact at all then I am only going to root for Tech. No reason to risk losing any superstitious "mojo" that might emanate from my aura or whatever for any team other than Tech.

I will be an interested spectator to this game to learn what the Jackets need to do to be ready to beat them both and to "control their own destiny". . . superstitions be damned!

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
For me "rooting" for or against a team gives me the reason to have interest in a game, such as "rooting" against all SEC teams.
One of my favorite bowl games is the Chik-Fil-A Peach Bowl because its ACC vs SEC.
I can "root" for anybody, including UGA, if it helps GT.
Even with Miami having a loss, I might pick Duke, because I think we can run all over their defense.
And "god forbid" a GT loss to Miami, we would still have the tie breaker over a tw0-loss Miami team.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
If we just continue winning (As the chant in Meatballs) "It just doesn't Matter". I think the best way to look at this is to ask who is more likely have the tie breaker on us? I don't believe the hype with Duke just like everybody saying we were the next to worst team in the ACC. I think Duke at least will lose to VT, Pitt, and GT. So I say root for Duke to add another L to UM. I know everybody has marked it down as L for UM against FSU, but they will be up for that game and anything can happen. Plus not 100% sure Winston doesn't do something stupid between now and then and gets kicked off the team.;)