Duke/Miami - Who to root for as GT?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I dont believe Duke is as good as they were last year, but they have the easier schedule. Also they have the most experienced QB in the coastal. I REALLY hate to cheer for Miami, but they are in shambles right now IMO. They will more than likely lose 2 or 3 more games this season. Duke... im not sure if i can say the same. So im going to hope that Miami wins this one and then loses the next one. IF GT keeps improving... We should control our own destiny. N if we beat Miami AND Duke ,while getting through without injuries... book tix to Charlotte.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll book tickets to Charlotte if we are undefeated going into Clemson. (We'll have beaten everyone one in Coastal.) There is no-one in Coastal who is a cup cake for us. (IMHO only)

Actually, I have talked to my wife and we will drive and stay for a few days and do some hiking too. I really like the ACCCG in a more central location to ACC schools! Only 4 hours away from us.

I see the advantages to either team losing and won't be upset regardless. It is going to be a fun game to watch.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Our team has a history of not taking opponents seriously. A 7:30 pm start and recent history, I'm not worried about that for Miami. I want Duke to win so our team takes the game seriously.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'm rooting for Duke. Duke hasn't even played an ACC game yet. We don't know how much of a factor they are going to end up being or if we should be that worried about their record before they even enter conference play. I would rather they take care of Miami than have Miami build momentum going into our game. Plus, it's way more fun when Miami loses than when Duke loses.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hate Miami, but I hope they win. Duke is good and has an easy schedule, if they win the hard ones it means we have to be perfect to win the Coastal. Since we were a hair away from being 2 and 2, I doubt we'll be perfect. Go Canes!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't root for either team under any circumstances.

Besides, it doesn't matter what happens in this game. It's what Tech does in the next two weeks that counts. Win both and we waltz to the title game, imho.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't root for either team under any circumstances.

Besides, it doesn't matter what happens in this game. It's what Tech does in the next two weeks that counts. Win both and we waltz to the title game, imho.
Uva and Pitt will have something to say about that. Heck, VT isn't out of the picture yet, either, but I'm sure glad we have the tie breaker on them.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Our team has a history of not taking opponents seriously. A 7:30 pm start and recent history, I'm not worried about that for Miami. I want Duke to win so our team takes the game seriously.

Our team wants Duke...I am not saying we won't look over teams...But it wont be Duke.

bdsboy

Georgia Tech Fan
As it currently stands, it would probably be better for Tech if Duke loses to Miami as they would both have a conference loss. On the other hand, Miami has QB Ryan Williams who has apparently recovered from his knee surgery and will be challenging the freshman, Kaaya, for the starting job. They also have greater depth, while Duke is probably one injury away from losing their competitiveness. It might be better if Miami takes another loss in case they come together and start a win streak. Duke is less likely to improve much down the road, and there are a few teams that are looking for some payback from last year. We match up better against Duke anyway.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As it currently stands, it would probably be better for Tech if Duke loses to Miami as they would both have a conference loss. On the other hand, Miami has QB Ryan Williams who has apparently recovered from his knee surgery and will be challenging the freshman, Kaaya, for the starting job. They also have greater depth, while Duke is probably one injury away from losing their competitiveness. It might be better if Miami takes another loss in case they come together and start a win streak. Duke is less likely to improve much down the road, and there are a few teams that are looking for some payback from last year. We match up better against Duke anyway.
Miami has FSU on the schedule, chalk that up as a loss. They also have VT(at VT), Pitt and Uva(at Uva). All of those are potential losses, too. Duke plays the latter 3, too, but at opposite venues.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Miami is the more dangerous team. Got to hope for a Duke win. Put Miami out of their misery, put Golden on the hot seat, kill their recruiting if they lose to DUKE two years in a row. How can you swagger and be a thug when DUKE is kicking your butt. Even if they should then beat us, Miami will still have two loses with FSU coming, so they are out of the race.

We can take care of Duke in Atlanta. We lose to Miami, then we come out PO'ed and stomp them. We beat Miami and are 5-0, the boys begin to see what is possible if they Duck Fuke. Duke is better, but they aren't the Iron Dukes yet.

I still think VT might make some noise in the Coastal before it's over. Glad we've got the tie breaker.
This makes the most sense to me.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
My concern this off week is not having a repeat against Miami of the way the VT game at Bobby Dodd played out last year. By that I mean everything seemed lined up for Tech to be pumped for that game. We had all those All Americans back, signing autographs and being honored, big night game, tons of festivities, throwback jerseys. Huge divisional opponent at home. And then they just made terrible play after terrible play and penalties, mistakes, weak turnovers. It was such a depressing loss and the one game that most truly "got away" last year. We looked so much better than VT on the field and yet could just not play like it. Those kind of home games are brutal losses.

This team really can prove so much about what they are made of at home next week against Miami. It will have all those aspects of last year with it being a Whiteout game, big night game, ESPN, lots of excitement and buzz for it, coming off a huge road win. Some teams relax at home and then play really motivated on the road. The Jackets have a great chance to make a statement about their goals and maturity as a team next week. I am ready to see a Tech team play a motivated and inspired game at Bobby Dodd against an evenly matched or possibly stronger (talent-wise) opponent.

One thing I know in advance I can be pleased about as compared to last year's VT game is not having to learn after this one about sh-- written on a few players wristbands and having a poster child for some advocacy group come out of the game.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our team wants Duke...I am not saying we won't look over teams...But it wont be Duke.

Why do you think our team wants Duke so bad? I understand our team wanting all other teams. But Duke hardly seems special in past history. Has something been said that is especially bulletin board worthy?

As I posted earlier, the Tulane @ Duke game had 20,000 people (which probably includes paid no-shows). Their fan base doesn't seem energized yet .......

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I have thought about this one for a bit and while strategically it makes sense for us to give Duke another loss, I'd be a lot happier taking on an undefeated and ranked Duke team. VPI f'd up our quality win by losing to ECU and getting unranked. The only other team who might be ranked when we play them other than UGA is Clemson who probably won't be. Duke certainly will be if they beat Miami (already ranked in one poll.) I know @Eric says we won't sleep on Duke, but having them ranked will ensure that. Either way it's a good thing one of them will get a loss, let's hope for an 8 overtime dead leg shootout

Animal02

Banned
Why do you think our team wants Duke so bad? I understand our team wanting all other teams. But Duke hardly seems special in past history. Has something been said that is especially bulletin board worthy?

As I posted earlier, the Tulane @ Duke game had 20,000 people (which probably includes paid no-shows). Their fan base doesn't seem energized yet .......
I think it is from the lack of respect. Duke had the stars align last year and all of a sudden they are a respectable team. Tech was a play or two away from a far better season last year......yet was ranked 13 in the ACC by espn.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Duke plays WF and @Syr, 2 likely wins. D'oh U has Lou and Fsu, 2 likely losses (1 already).

If Miami loses, they'll be shaken. I think that helps us for our game. However, if Duke wins, their road looks easier.

So, I don't care.