Do y’all think Tech can ever put it together ?

I might be delusional but I'm waiting for the big shift in college athletics where the 4-5* SA's realize the factories are just using them and they decide it's best to get a solid education along with playing D1 sports ...
Not sure how the college bball scandal will sort out, but maybe it'll get someones attention enough to level the playing field in all college sports.
And sign me up for YES we will put it all together ... "Together We Swarm is eternal !!
I personally don't think that will ever happen. But what I do think will eventually happen is that the 4-5*s will skip college altogether with some kind of direct route to the pros being opened for them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I might be delusional but I'm waiting for the big shift in college athletics where the 4-5* SA's realize the factories are just using them and they decide it's best to get a solid education along with playing D1 sports ...
Not sure how the college bball scandal will sort out, but maybe it'll get someones attention enough to level the playing field in all college sports.
And sign me up for YES we will put it all together ... "Together We Swarm is eternal !!
Not likely to ever happen. Most of these guys don't care about an education, the whole going to class thing is a "necessary evil" for playing college ball. All they want is a 2 or 3 year tryout for the NFL and to increase their draft value as much as possible before going pro. They all think they're going pro and don't need an education other than what might be learned from their coaches.

I've often thought that if it's the job of colleges and universities to provide career training, why not just create majors in pro athletics and drop the whole pretense of educating these guys in the traditional sense. They get their career training and a little bit of other stuff that might translate to the real world. Not much different than students who major in fine or performing arts if you ask me.

*edit: from nfl.com:

Percentage of college football players that make the NFL
In the materials distributed to college athletes and coaches, the league noted that for players who do make an NFL roster, an average playing career lasts 4.74 years, and that only 1.6 percent of college football players make it to the pros.

me: Every college football player thinks they are in that 1.6%.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
We finished 2014 ranked #8 without sacrificing academics. In fact, we were very close to having a one-loss season and we beat the Dwags. While academics may present an extra hurdle, it does not make things impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true, but my point is that Tech has some serious obstacles that other schools don't have to put up with, and in today's climate of college football just makes things harder than they need to be if you really want to win big. On top of that, that was one of our best finishes in the past 50-60 years.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It will never happen under the current NCAA model. The athletic departments are running the top football and basketball schools. They produce money and publicity for the schools. TV has basically changed the equation with money and exposure.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Can Tech put it all together again? Yes, but it's not easy. A non-factory school like Tech has to put together a team with the following techniques:
  • Strategic red-shirts - an extra year to grow and learn
  • Experience - a lot of 3 and 4 year players
  • Talent - 2-3 young, but exceptionally talented players
  • Luck - both in the injury department and in games
That's how Ross put it together in '90, that's how CPJ put 2014 together. It's not easy to do and a couple of key injuries can blow up your plan. The downside of this method is it doesn't build year to year consistency, but in the current environment at GT, we don't have much choice.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
He was encouraged to leave because he turned minor violations into full-blown probation by being uncooperative with NCAA investigators.
This is one of the two reasons for my dislike of DRad. The other, as has been alluded to, was his insistence on building facilities, to the detriment of the personnel side of the AA equation. It was under his watch that the rest of the ACC passed us by in recruiting (and other) staff, because he was unwilling to spend any $$ to hire people who were necessary to keep the program competitive.

I like that the first significant new funding drive under TStan was to fund new hires in the AA, and I was happy to pony up a real chunk of cash to help make it a success.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not likely to ever happen. Most of these guys don't care about an education, the whole going to class thing is a "necessary evil" for playing college ball. All they want is a 2 or 3 year tryout for the NFL and to increase their draft value as much as possible before going pro. They all think they're going pro and don't need an education other than what might be learned from their coaches.

I've often thought that if it's the job of colleges and universities to provide career training, why not just create majors in pro athletics and drop the whole pretense of educating these guys in the traditional sense. They get their career training and a little bit of other stuff that might translate to the real world. Not much different than students who major in fine or performing arts if you ask me.

*edit: from nfl.com:

Percentage of college football players that make the NFL
In the materials distributed to college athletes and coaches, the league noted that for players who do make an NFL roster, an average playing career lasts 4.74 years, and that only 1.6 percent of college football players make it to the pros.

me: Every college football player thinks they are in that 1.6%.

So the question is begged - what happens to those 98.4% others from all the schools?

Yes these kids all may dream of the NFL, but they all are not stupid either.

Perhaps as much as APR, the NCAA should institute some sort of "after action" report on previous players 4 or 5 years after they leave school. A scholarship being legally contingent on their cooperation with such a review.

Find it hard to believe that a majority of these guys, regardless of school, are homeless bums.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
And I think that meager increase in recruiting staff is gonna pay off big time. The new lockeroom will as well as will the new uni provider. We have a new DC as well. There are lots of steps being made to improve the program that I believe will pay big dividends on the field.
I agree and would like to add the improved chances for landing d tackle that can go to nfl in 3 years.

(I know we can make do with a 3 star in that position ).

A man-child dt kid that can sit and wait to play the conservative SEC type defense would KNOW he come to gt and get espn high lights. Give us 1 stud dt!!

This is one of the two reasons for my dislike of DRad. The other, as has been alluded to, was his insistence on building facilities, to the detriment of the personnel side of the AA equation. It was under his watch that the rest of the ACC passed us by in recruiting (and other) staff, because he was unwilling to spend any $$ to hire people who were necessary to keep the program competitive.

I like that the first significant new funding drive under TStan was to fund new hires in the AA, and I was happy to pony up a real chunk of cash to help make it a success.
Nice seeing you again last Friday. Good to see we are in agreement on this, both about DRad and TStan.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I wonder where Tech football would be today were the $$ frittered away on installing empty seats in BDS had been spent on recruiting instead. I wonder if it would have paid off by, in the long run, generating the revenue to add seats with actual butts in them. Seems he put the cart before the horse.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I think you and I mostly agree about most things. You care about colors more than I.

@jacketup made a post about lazy DRad and CPJ that I considered beneath you.

Johnson was not DRad's choice. My inside contacts at that time were greater than yours have ever been--I promise you. And you don't seriously believe that there would be public information that the AD disagreed with the coaching selection, do you? Your "post a link" comment is laughable. My source is now deceased, and you would not know him anyway. Unfortunately, the contacts that I made from being involved with the GTAA in the late 80's have passed away or have moved on.

I have confirmed with a former GTAA employee that, compared with his predecessors, Johnson does not work as hard. He doesn't want his name on a message board for obvious reasons.

But accuse me of lying and keep believing only what you see in the media. And keep believing that the last 8 years of essentially .500 football are the best we can do. I don't know why I continue to cast pearls before the swine that prefer excuses to facts and who embrace mediocrity.

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
The answer is yes. Tech is gonna have to....
1. Recruit excellently, meaning finding the "diamonds in the rough" to keep up with the "big dogs".
2. "Get old stay old model", Coach Pastner is putting together for our basketball program, and hope every 3 to 4 years we can compete.
3. No transfers, injuries, or academic dismissals.

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
The answer is yes. Tech is gonna have to....
1. Recruit excellently, meaning finding the "diamonds in the rough" to keep up with the "big dogs".
2. "Get old stay old model", Coach Pastner is putting together for our basketball program, and hope everything 3 to 4 years we can compete.
3. No transfers, injuries, or academic dismissal

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Johnson was not DRad's choice. My inside contacts at that time were greater than yours have ever been--I promise you. And you don't seriously believe that there would be public information that the AD disagreed with the coaching selection, do you? Your "post a link" comment is laughable. My source is now deceased, and you would not know him anyway. Unfortunately, the contacts that I made from being involved with the GTAA in the late 80's have passed away or have moved on.

I have confirmed with a former GTAA employee that, compared with his predecessors, Johnson does not work as hard. He doesn't want his name on a message board for obvious reasons.

But accuse me of lying and keep believing only what you see in the media. And keep believing that the last 8 years of essentially .500 football are the best we can do. I don't know why I continue to cast pearls before the swine that prefer excuses to facts and who embrace mediocrity.

You are absolutely correct. We are not worthy of your contribution. It would definitely serve us right if you never posted here again. That would show us and give us what we deserve.

slugboy

Staff member
Can Tech put it all together again? Yes, but it's not easy. A non-factory school like Tech has to put together a team with the following techniques:
  • Strategic red-shirts - an extra year to grow and learn
  • Experience - a lot of 3 and 4 year players
  • Talent - 2-3 young, but exceptionally talented players
  • Luck - both in the injury department and in games
That's how Ross put it together in '90, that's how CPJ put 2014 together. It's not easy to do and a couple of key injuries can blow up your plan. The downside of this method is it doesn't build year to year consistency, but in the current environment at GT, we don't have much choice.

I think he had that plan years ago, and let it go. Strategic red-shirting works a lot better when our linemen don’t graduate after 3-3 1/2 years. We already lose players early—losing them after giving up a year of eligibility is even harder. We’re lucky when we have seniors playing. I haven’t seen too many red-shirt seniors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk