Do y’all think Tech can ever put it together ?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Is it possible for Tech to ever have a decent defense and a good/great offense in the same year? Much like the 2014 season but those 2 close losses flipped and turned out to be wins?

Part of what has been so frustrating for me, personally, is over the last 10 years either the O is really good and the D is porous. Or the D is decent and the O is non existent. Orrrrr like last year when both sides of the ball (and special teams) desperately needed work. Could this year be one of those seasons that reminds us why being a Tech fan is so agonizing? Or will it be a season to remind us why being a Tech fan is awesome? Or it could very well be a “meh” kind of season, but let’s face it...another meh season would be equally as bad as a terrible season at this point.

What are y’alls thoughts for the upcoming season(s)?

Is it possible for Tech to ever have a decent defense and a good/great offense in the same year? Much like the 2014 season but those 2 close losses flipped and turned out to be wins?

Part of what has been so frustrating for me, personally, is over the last 10 years either the O is really good and the D is porous. Or the D is decent and the O is non existent. Orrrrr like last year when both sides of the ball (and special teams) desperately needed work. Could this year be one of those seasons that reminds us why being a Tech fan is so agonizing? Or will it be a season to remind us why being a Tech fan is awesome? Or it could very well be a “meh” kind of season, but let’s face it...another meh season would be equally as bad as a terrible season at this point.

Never having been a Roof fan, I personally believe that the D will show results immediately. Now that doesn't mean that we are going to start winning games on D, but as far as I am concerned, I would rather go down attacking than go down reacting, and I believe that that style of D play will continue to improve, producing better and better results and more wins in which the D plays a significant part. As far as the O goes, I trust Johnson to fix it. There were obvious problems last year, and there are probably quite a few hypothetical solutions to those problems. I believe we have the coaching overall to make at least some of those hypothetical solutions real solutions. The question is do we have the talent or the TEAM LEADERSHIP to do that. Time will tell, but in answer to your question, I DO believe it is possible.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Never having been a Roof fan, I personally believe that the D will show results immediately. Now that doesn't mean that we are going to start winning games on D, but as far as I am concerned, I would rather go down attacking than go down reacting, and I believe that that style of D play will continue to improve, producing better and better results and more wins in which the D plays a significant part. As far as the O goes, I trust Johnson to fix it. There were obvious problems last year, and there are probably quite a few hypothetical solutions to those problems. I believe we have the coaching overall to make at least some of those hypothetical solutions real solutions. The question is do we have the talent or the TEAM LEADERSHIP to do that. Time will tell, but in answer to your question, I DO believe it is possible.
Right on. I remain hopeful that it is possible. Even with these new changes in D being new I’m excited. The players sound excited. I don’t recall anyone on D sounding excited when Roof was here.

8 SCREEN PASSES IN A ROW?!?!?!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we can depend on anything more then the decent performance we got last year on D. I think the final results will be about the same due to unfamiliarity and more big plays by the opposition. Like people said when Jerry Glanville was coach for the Falcons, "You live by the blitz, you die by the blitz." Oth, I expect that we'll probably have more negative plays and turnovers (a little improvement on that will look great).

I think that the O will be improved, however. That'll be almost solely due to more experience at the skill positions, especially QB and BB.

Then there's the factors we can't control: injuries and the weather. I really want to keep the same OL on the field for most of the season. That would be huuuuuge. And it sure would be great to have the Football Gods hold off on the deluges this year. If there was a temple handy, I'd go over and sacrifice a sacred chicken, but no such luck.

What is interesting is that in the Gailey years we had a very moderate offense. Even 2006 we were not nearly as explosive as we are now. But our defense was ranked in the top 20 and lets face it, Tenuta was the reason. Now we lived and died by the blitz and Matty Ice Ryan destroyed us with big plays but we had a defense. Now it seems that Woody is of the same vein so I am encouraged.

What is interesting is that in the Gailey years we had a very moderate offense. Even 2006 we were not nearly as explosive as we are now. But our defense was ranked in the top 20 and lets face it, Tenuta was the reason. Now we lived and died by the blitz and Matty Ice Ryan destroyed us with big plays but we had a defense. Now it seems that Woody is of the same vein so I am encouraged.
Hopefully Woody will be a little more consistent than Tenuta was, as well as saner.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
It could happen. Like the OP said, we were lose in 2014. Flip 2 losses. But one of those flips would have to be in the ACC Championship against FSU to get in playoffs. (maybe not even then). But thee were some too close wins that season too. I would be alright with having a 2014 season every 2-3 years with a 2016 season 3 out of 4 years.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Possible but not likely given the current recruiting restraints. Want to develop depth on both sides of the ball? Want to be good on both sides of the ball? Want to be consistently good to occasionally great over the years? Recruit better. Simplistic but then football is a pretty simple game most of the time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Possible but not likely given the current recruiting restraints. Want to develop depth on both sides of the ball? Want to be good on both sides of the ball? Want to be consistently good to occasionally great over the years? Recruit better. Simplistic but then football is a pretty simple game most of the time.

I am not convinced that recruiting is the issue and not just D scheme etc

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
My point is that it is not just defense for a change. It could be argued that we may have more talent on the defensive side now than on offense. My concern is the lack of play makers on the outside on offense but maybe they will get better. We will see. I am pretty sure that recruiting rankings matter over time and we have been stuck in the 40s and 50s for a while. That will not get it done in today's ACC.

GTFLETCH

Banned

Yes... we will have 2 to 3 year window with Tobias Oliver at QB and the Swilling brothers on Defense to make it to the CFP...after that probably ACC title game and OB like 2014 will be the best we can hope for in most years..

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't sleep on Lucas Johnson or the true frosh kid who enrolls in fall.
I’m really high on LJ. Really impressed with his performance last year during the spring game. Was baffled as to why he didn’t get more playing time last year. Especially with TaQuons unfortunate late season decline.