Do y’all think Tech can ever put it together ?

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Lots of good perspectives on this thread....

even with all the offensive innovation in football the last 20 years, I still see the primary (on the field) ingredients to championship football as being (1) the ability run the ball and (2) play smothering defense that stops the run. We do the former pretty well and are non-existent on the latter. And let’s not discuss special teams.

Our offense needs a real passing threat to keep defenses honest similar to the seasons we had with BeBe and Smelter. Fresh passing concepts/route combos/screens, etc. which get our A-backs more involved would be a good start. Teams over sold the run and dared us to throw last year...and we couldn’t.

We have been a defensive quagmire since Tenuta left and I hope our latest hire plus a renewed commitment from CPJ to take responsibility for this unit will make a difference. Our competition is too good to try to out score everyone.

That said, I do believe CPJ is an excellent offensive mind. We lost our 2 top b-backs and record setting QB and, for the most part, still ran the ball reasonably well. It’s just that’s all we could do! I really am pulling for CPJ to figure it out. Go Jackets!

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I predict we will see a new breakout QB before the 4th game of the season. TaQuon will deservedly try and hold his spot. But I think the moment he’s off kilter and missing passes and reads, someone else is coming off the bench. Someone chomping at the bits waiting for an opportunity. That’s my bold prediction

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
In 2015 I made the prediction that 2018 was "our year" to which I think attrition has lowered my expectations. I still expect 2018 to be competitive but with the new DC I have moved my "our year to win the ACC" to 2020.
If your prediction is right I’ll buy you a beer

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This has been an interesting read for me. I have often wondered why so many fans have such hyper-aggressive opinions on CPJ and think it may be this as the core issue.

I chose to go to GT because I believed that the school would best prepare me for life after graduation. The motto of progress and service spoke to me as a young man and rings even truer for me now, 11 years after graduating. I find myself in a career that affords me the luxury of time, and a mindset that drives me to spend that time helping others in both philanthropic and professional development scenarios. Ma Tech taught me that there was always someone smart enough or willing to work hard enough to be better than I was at any given time and that the solution was to strive for constant improvement. That focus and mindset has enabled me to find success in both my personal and professional life.

When I listen to CPJ, or players talking about CPJ, I truly believe he echos and enhances that message. Be good, try hard, rinse and repeat. Learn from your mistakes and use them to be faster and better tomorrow. There is importance in doing the right thing, in the right way, repeatedly. His offense is that same way. You have to make your block, over and over again, because the QB may pitch behind you. You have to drive your man off the line, over and over again, because the BBack May get the ball in his belly.

I believe CPJ prepares our players to grow and develop as young men. So to answer your question: yes. I do think we will see the team put it together. With the new blood on D I think we will see a resurgence on our offense as well. Guys playing looser and trusting us to get a few stops will make all the difference in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
2020. You can hold me to that.

I'm sure it seemed quite improbable thirty years ago coming off a 2-9 season in '87 that the Jackets would get to the top in 1990. It may seem a far off dream, but we're in much better shape than in '87 or '88. Number 7 just three years ago...it can happen.

Not saying it's likely, but if we can somehow get some blocking up front this year could be special. Looking forward to Clinton Lynch returning to form, and also looking forward to seeing what Xavier Gantt can do.

GT_EE78

Banned
We're winning the ACC this year.
this is an optimistic group.wish i could share your outlook but still there's upside. just a modest improvement could get them to 7 wins over the 3 non-P5's and the 4 mediocre acc teams which leaves 5 real gmes this season.Loui,Clemson,VT,Mia and GA. I think a good season would collect the 7 gimme's plus two of the tough 5. and if the two are VT/MIA and we get help from FSU we could win the tiebreaker and get to charlotte. 37% pass completion won't compete there but i'd be happy enough

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tech currently, reminds me a lot of 1980 when the program was in a real dumpster fire and they hired a) Home Rice and b) Bill Curry. Slowly, the money started coming in, facilities got rebuilt, and competitiveness and pride returned.

I don't think CPJ will take us to the Promised Land. I do think he's a great coach and a good fit for Tech. But it will take another 3 -5 years to get the legacy financial costs out and finally start reinvesting in the program at a competitive level. We can get there and I think the team and direction TStan is moving is the right direction.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Tech currently, reminds me a lot of 1980 when the program was in a real dumpster fire and they hired a) Home Rice and b) Bill Curry. Slowly, the money started coming in, facilities got rebuilt, and competitiveness and pride returned.

I don't think CPJ will take us to the Promised Land. I do think he's a great coach and a good fit for Tech. But it will take another 3 -5 years to get the legacy financial costs out and finally start reinvesting in the program at a competitive level. We can get there and I think the team and direction TStan is moving is the right direction.

Wow, like 1980? Really????? Not even close in my opinion, the overall state of the athletics at Tech now is so far above where it was in 1980. Jeez

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

Absolutely no comparisons at all. We are in SO much better shape than then. There were serious talks of dropping down a level in football.
Now we complain because we can't beat the best in the conference.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely no comparisons at all. We are in SO much better shape than then. There were serious talks of dropping down a level in football.
Now we complain because we can't beat the best in the conference.

Not quite and not my point. Our facilities are way below others and we are saddled with a lot of legacy debt. No, we aren't in danger of closing the program down a la 1980 ... but we are in a phase of having to "catch up" and that won't happen until after the legacy costs roll off. So, I expect that a new enthusiasm will occur a) when those legacy costs roll off and we can reinvest at much faster rate than today and b) when the next coach comes in in 3-5 years. Both events will happen concurrently.

I'm not negative. In fact, I'm very optimistic that the program appears to be heading to a very good state. It just isn't going to happen as fast as everyone likes.

Not quite and not my point. Our facilities are way below others and we are saddled with a lot of legacy debt. No, we aren't in danger of closing the program down a la 1980 ... but we are in a phase of having to "catch up" and that won't happen until after the legacy costs roll off. So, I expect that a new enthusiasm will occur a) when those legacy costs roll off and we can reinvest at much faster rate than today and b) when the next coach comes in in 3-5 years. Both events will happen concurrently.

I'm not negative. In fact, I'm very optimistic that the program appears to be heading to a very good state. It just isn't going to happen as fast as everyone likes.
It's not JUST the "legacy costs," it's the fact that we had a string of incompetent AD's. Braine-dead and MBob did Tech no favors whatsoever, and even DRAD, who did do some good things, really didn't take care of the most pressing needs we had and still have. TStan at least seems to be attempting to offer a new approach to running things.

I've never understood the hate for Drad. He knows bigboy football...he won a natty at Clemson, and he hired CPJ. He left cause we wouldn't give him bigboy resources imo. I can't hate on him.
He also wouldn't give the football program the resources it needed, choosing instead to go after the big bucks to build. Clemson fans think the same of him, BTW, at least the Clemson fans I know.

Milwaukee

Banned
I'm not sure that even makes sense. So we gave him bookooh's of money and he refused to funnel it to football? I've been out of town since 09-10 so you may know things close to the program that I don't.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Do I think that Tech has a chance to be a really good team and finish in the Top 10? Yes I do. Maybe not year in and year out, But I do think they could be a regular Top 25 team and compete for the ACC on a regular basis.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I've never understood the hate for Drad. He knows bigboy football...he won a natty at Clemson, and he hired CPJ. He left cause we wouldn't give him bigboy resources imo. I can't hate on him.

Johnson was not Radakovich's choice as head coach. The old fart board wanted Johnson. Clough told Radakovich that he would support Radakovich's choice, then stabbed him in the back and went with the old fart big donor board.

I knew Radakovich would be looking for a job after that happened. It was his first big hire, and the President and the Board overruled him. I do not blame him for leaving.

The decline in Tech athletics can be directly traced to the leadership vacuum that has existed since Kim King got sick and subsequently passed away.