Do we lose any coaches

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I expected to see improved performance from game to game. I have not seen anything indicating improvement.

To say fans should not be frustrated with this coaching staff are looking through gold colored glasses.

Tech is dead last in the ACC in total offense.

Tech is dead last in points allowed, 3rd to last in yards allowed, dead last in rushing yards allowed.

Special teams is not all that special. Harvin is mid pack in punting.

This type of performance cannot be blamed on CPJ. As has been shown in recruiting numbers above, Tech is not deal last in talent.

I hope to see some kind of improvement in the second half of the season.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Well if you want to look at it like that I'll call the AD Monday and see about giving him 3 more years on his contract.
Do you honestly not think that stuff doesn't matter? Serious question, nor trying to argue.

Temple isn’t a “reload” program, a QB and RB duo like that can easily be 2 extra wins imo. I think it’s obvious that CGC is a good coach from an X‘s and O’s stand point. When it comes to on field management, I think that’s still to be see . Imo the situation he’s in is kinda hard when you are wanting to win, you kinda need to take some chances with stuff unfortunately. I’ll wait to give my opinion on if he’s a good game manager. There’s been good and bad imo.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You can pick between the times he had Flordia’s defense ranked 11th and 6th in the nation and playing in SEC titles or when he had Miss St’s defense in the top 20 and leading their team to their highest AP ranking this decade.
That was as a defensive coordinator not a Head Coach. Not all good coordinators make a good Head Coach.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
That was as a defensive coordinator not a Head Coach. Not all good coordinators make a good Head Coach.
Exactly. Good head coaches recruit good players and good coaches and let their coaches coach. We know CGC can recruit players, question remains if he can assemble a staff that can coach P5 football, in my opinion.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Good head coaches recruit good players and good coaches and let their coaches coach. We know CGC can recruit players, question remains if he can assemble a staff that can coach P5 football, in my opinion.

3 of the assistant coaches have been Broyles award winners, Choice was named best RB coach last year (IIRC) and the strength coach was named the best in the country. He assembled a good staff and the only real question mark is the OC.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
3 of the assistant coaches have been Broyles award winners, Choice was named best RB coach last year (IIRC) and the strength coach was named the best in the country. He assembled a good staff and the only real question mark is the OC.
I agree I have no problem with the other coaches but P'nut is a big question mark. And I want to see more out of the defense like we did in the USF game not what we have seen the last 3 games.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I agree I have no problem with the other coaches but P'nut is a big question mark. And I want to see more out of the defense like we did in the USF game not what we have seen the last 3 games.
The lack of a stud DT and no pass rush is really killing the defense. He is trying to bring some blitzes and stunts, but they are slow developing.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Bill Lewis had 3 years... I suspect Geoff Collins gets three years... It will be interesting to see how this plays out! But I do not see any coached being dismissed after this season, CGC seems to be filled with to much PRIDE... Now to save his hide in year three maybe...It will be interesting.

Last edited:

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Do we though? How many 4 and 5 star players are currently committed? Is this recruiting class really any better than the past?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Do we though? How many 4 and 5 star players are currently committed? Is this recruiting class really any better than the past?

Yes. We have more guys with a national and state ranking. Also look at the size of the players and you will see what we are trying to do.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. We have more guys with a national and state ranking. Also look at the size of the players and you will see what we are trying to do.

We don't need guys who are 3-5 inches taller on the OL or DL, we need guys who are better football players. If we get a bunch of bigger guys who still had G5 to lower P5 offers not much will change from the 6-7 wins plateau.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I didn’t graduate from Tech or anything but i’m counting 3 years where they outrecruited us....
Well done, sir.

I honestly don’t think the recruiting services can distinguish well at the lower levels. Now, they can tell the difference between 50% of your recruits being 4* and 10%. It’s pretty clear we’ve never recruited a 5* so for now Top 10 recruiting is completely off limits to GT.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We are also trying to run the same schemes as everyone else.

Just because we will have bigger players, doesn't mean those players are more talented.

Btw I'm not saying this class doesn't have talent, some is there, I just don't think it's some huge leap from where we've been. I also see some of our top "commits" being poached late. Hope it doesn't, but I think it's likely given the state of the program this season.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Just don’t understand how he could watch Graham vs Tobias for a full summer and not see the difference. I wonder if TO was throwing better in Fall Camp then he did during games.

Was Graham out last spring? Or was it someone else?

How much can the coaches “watch” the players in summer?

Idk.

mcsoxxnation

Georgia Tech Fan
Some Coordinators aren't cut out to be Head Coaches. CGC had a nice resume at Miss St and Florida as DC, but was less than impressive as HC at Temple as they lost home games last year to FCS Villanova and Buffalo. Then he loses to Citadel, the offense gets shut out by Temple the week after a BYE, and week after week they continue be out of the game by halftime. Just give me something to feel good about......This team definitely has enough talent to not produce these results. This brand of football will do damage to recruiting that HYPE may not be able to overcome. If we have to recruit exactly the right players to fit any system and can't make a good D-1 athlete into a quality player, it's going to be a long ride......

Milwaukee

Banned
Some Coordinators aren't cut out to be Head Coaches. CGC had a nice resume at Miss St and Florida as DC, but was less than impressive as HC at Temple as they lost home games last year to FCS Villanova and Buffalo. Then he loses to Citadel, the offense gets shut out by Temple the week after a BYE, and week after week they continue be out of the game by halftime. Just give me something to feel good about......This team definitely has enough talent to not produce these results. This brand of football will do damage to recruiting that HYPE may not be able to overcome. If we have to recruit exactly the right players to fit any system and can't make a good D-1 athlete into a quality player, it's going to be a long ride......

You posted this exact post in a completely different thread last month. Trolling attempt? You signed up when Collins was hired hmmmm...

I guess it's easier to convert to "option" than to convert to "modern"

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
My comment was based on the coordinators at this point. We will not know if they will be successful as coordinators in P5 until we get some more P5 players since they have never been coordinators in a P5 conference, as far as as I know. And if not, will CGC be willing and able to find a suitable replacement? Questions for the future, certainly won't be answered this season.