Do we lose any coaches

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Some of you just don’t get it. None of us matter to GT football so who we wanted or what we want means nothing. Collins IS a hype man because he’s worked at the factories and knows the entire business of college football is all kabuki theatre in order to get 17 year olds to buy your version of the “hype”. We might be 1-5 but UGA’s recruiting took more of a hit today than ours has all season. That loss by UGA and the “choke mantra” has probably cost them big time with big time recruits. Meanwhile our hype man is able to sell playing time and hope. Right now the product stinks, but that’s part of the theater.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
It’s just puzzling to me when you look at who Collins has been around that some people think he doesn’t know what it takes.
This guy was here when we were rolling with O’Leary, brought him back in 2007 and he recruited so well that Saban hired him in 2008. Was at Miss St when they had their best season of the decade, then went and dominated at Florida.
I don’t get why you guys are questioning his football smarts when he’s been around Saban and O’Leary for a number of years. It’s gonna take time, and yea it sucks, there’s nothing worse then watching Tech lose this time of year but we gotta stay patient. Even if CGC isn’t the guy, they next coach will fail too if we continue to not support the team and the money falls off again.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It’s just puzzling to me when you look at who Collins has been around that some people think he doesn’t know what it takes.
This guy was here when we were rolling with O’Leary, brought him back in 2007 and he recruited so well that Saban hired him in 2008. Was at Miss St when they had their best season of the decade, then went and dominated at Florida.
I don’t get why you guys are questioning his football smarts when he’s been around Saban and O’Leary for a number of years. It’s gonna take time, and yea it sucks, there’s nothing worse then watching Tech lose this time of year but we gotta stay patient. Even if CGC isn’t the guy, they next coach will fail too if we continue to not support the team and the money falls off again.
you do understand that Saban and O'Leary were the coach not the salesman
I know what it takes to win but that don't make me a coach

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s the right answer, 2 years in a row it took CDP multiple weeks to find the QB.

At temple it took him time the first year to find the right guy because they lost a multi year starter and none of the options had much going for them. Year 2 he started the same QB that played pretty well the year before, and made the switch when the starter wasn't getting it done. I don't get why people see that as a negative. There are many coaches who are too loyal to starting QBs.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
At temple it took him time the first year to find the right guy because they lost a multi year starter and none of the options had much going for them. Year 2 he started the same QB that played pretty well the year before, and made the switch when the starter wasn't getting it done. I don't get why people see that as a negative. There are many coaches who are too loyal to starting QBs.
Just don’t understand how he could watch Graham vs Tobias for a full summer and not see the difference. I wonder if TO was throwing better in Fall Camp then he did during games.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We have exactly what we need for next few yrs, recruiters. I remember talking with a couple of knowledgeable CFB people right after CPJ announced he was retiring about what we needed at GT for coaching and all agreed, "recruiters", just don't think many of our people had any idea how depleted we had become. I too wish we would just quietly go about rebuilding our program, do the 404 stuff etc with the kids and their families etc., but mainly do what you need to do(within rules) to build a winning program, all IMO of course. Do we have the right coordinators etc., I have no idea at this point and probably won't have any idea for a few yrs, don't believe there's any way to tell at this stage or for a couple more yrs. Recruit baby, recruit , that has been my song since we hired new staff and will continue to be. What is happening now is not surprising me at all. I'm currently worried about our front 7 recruiting, especially LB and DT. We don't seem to have many prospects there for this '20 class. Hope I'm wrong and it all works out there for this class, we shall see. I might remind people GOL did not hire the "Fridge" until after he had recruited a few classes to fit where they wanted to go. I remember the first GOL class had something like 10 OL recruits. GOL inherited a pretty good group of defensive players incl the 2 LBs.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We out gained Duke today in total yards and had 0 turnovers. That is improvement, you can ignore it if you want to. Funny you question improvement when Tech had two of their worst seasons towards the end of Paul’s time. I’m not trying to make this a Paul vs Geoff debate either, just wished your expectations were consistent.
Did they change the rules , can you win on yards now and not points ? Glad you trust him cause few do, I have not seem improvement as a team . Our offense is below average and now our defensive is a joke. Either the play don't listen to him or the coaches can't coach. Some got tired of 7 wins and wanted something else , well they got it. The 1981 was better than this and they were 1-10.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Did they change the rules , can you win on yards now and not points ? Glad you trust him cause few do, I have not seem improvement as a team . Our offense is below average and now our defensive is a joke. Either the play don't listen to him or the coaches can't coach. Some got tired of 7 wins and wanted something else , well they got it. The 1981 was better than this and they were 1-10.
You asked about improvement and I pointed out that we clearly did improve.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
You asked about improvement and I pointed out that we clearly did improve.
When interviewed at halftime, Cutcliffe said "unless they hit big plays I don't think they'll be able to consistently score" (not exact quote but of that nature). I think Duke knew if they played ball control on offense, and prevented big plays on D, they already had the game in the bag. I think they were fine giving Tech yards and running clock in the second half. So, I wouldn't necessarily correlate the offensive #'s solely to improvement.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
A guy can be a great salesman, that doesn't mean I want him being C.O.O or even a mechanic.
What is really puzzling is that people think he will be a great head coach solely on his two average years at a G5 school.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
Duke has outrecruited Tech ever since Cutcliff went there and in the last 4 or 5 years he has had some descent classes.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The proof has been on the field for the last few years.

And in the draft. He had a top pick last year.

Recruiting rankings are one measure. But not end all be all. Players drafted and in nfl says alot too. There are many classes similar ranked but clearly one is better than the other.

So yes. U have to look on the field and the eye test.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Some of you all act like children who would take one marshmallow now over three in two minutes.

Patience is going to be required as we switch systems. No one likes to see their team get beat, but it is what it is this year. We are building the foundation for the next few years. We are playing multiple walk ons on our offensive line for a majority of the snaps. Get a grip people.

We have settled on a QB for this season, have found a way to get TO involved at WR, and are navigating costly injuries as key skill positions. The offense was going to be offensive this year even if we have Bellicheck on the sidelines. Give it time. Enjoy the cool weather. Crack a beer, sip a whiskey, throw another log on the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Some of you all act like children who would take one marshmallow now over three in two minutes.

Patience is going to be required as we switch systems. No one likes to see their team get beat, but it is what it is this year. We are building the foundation for the next few years. We are playing multiple walk ons on our offensive line for a majority of the snaps. Get a grip people.

We have settled on a QB for this season, have found a way to get TO involved at WR, and are navigating costly injuries as key skill positions. The offense was going to be offensive this year even if we have Bellicheck on the sidelines. Give it time. Enjoy the cool weather. Crack a beer, sip a whiskey, throw another log on the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We also have 11 seniors on the roster..... 11!!!! And 3 of those guys are out for the year. Extremely young teams make inexperienced mistakes, but that gets fixed with reps and patience.