DJ in the student section/something new for the team run-out

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
From a marketing standpoint.....the 404 is rather meaningless outside of the metro area. Add to that the overlay area codes and it becomes more meaningless. You venture outside of Georgia and you will likely have more familiarity with the 404 error code than an area code.

WRT DJ music....I guess it will depend on who it is done.........

Lol yikes. Did you just type with a straight face that 404 error code is more familiar that being Atlanta area code?

As for the bolded, it’s suppose to mean less, we want the ATL metro elite athletes to take pride in the city and “make it hot again” This is part of the recruiting message

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys go looking other people approval? 404 is where we(GT) are located, i mean it is no getting around that. The 404 is the last thing i thought would disappoint someone but i digress.

The livest GT atmosphere was 09 VT game and music in game played a huge part in that so I’m all for this
In this continuos entertain me selfie world, u see that when the piped in music starts many many people get up and dance to the music. They dance in the hope of being seen on the jumbotron.

IB is right about the legendary 09 game having great piped in music and fantastic use of the YELLOW -- GACKETS cheer.

The band was also magnificent that night .

As the game ended and the joyous fans emptied on to the field they gravitated to the north end zone where the band was playing Ramblin Wreck. They were playing Ramblin Wrek . They were playing ramblin wrek over and over as the gold post was pulled over, t boned and removed from the field. I bet they got a"" talkin to "" by the lawyers.

Ramblin WREK played in bds by our great band is a thing of beauty.

Animal02

Banned
Lol yikes. Did you just type with a straight face that 404 error code is more familiar that being Atlanta area code?

As for the bolded, it’s suppose to mean less, we want the ATL metro elite athletes to take pride in the city and “make it hot again” This is part of the recruiting message
Outside of the metro atlanta area....yes the error code will likely be more recognized.
As for recruiting......I have said for years that Tech needs to recruit nationally. The pool of recruits that A) Qualify at Tech B) Are willing to put up with the academics and C) Desire a major that is offered at Tech is quite small.
CPJ make the mistake of thinking he out recruit in Georgia, I think CGC is heading down the same wrong path.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Outside of the metro atlanta area....yes the error code will likely be more recognized.
As for recruiting......I have said for years that Tech needs to recruit nationally. The pool of recruits that A) Qualify at Tech B) Are willing to put up with the academics and C) Desire a major that is offered at Tech is quite small.
CPJ make the mistake of thinking he out recruit in Georgia, I think CGC is heading down the same wrong path.

Oh boy i dont at all. He will recruit all over. He has shown he can and has in the past. Certainly if he lands more highly rated kids close by great. But i dont share that concern at all. But he is correct in that gt used to get more local top talent than we have the past decade. So changing that would be nice. But i still think he will be looking everywhere

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
When I first saw 404 (on this forum), first thing that came to my mind was the page not found error and why was that being celebrated in association with GT... the humor is pretty obvious, at least from my perspective, and my cell number area code is 404. Actually, I'm mildly surprised if true that 404 is more recognized as Atlanta than the page not found amongst teens with how intrinsic the web is with this generation. Not to mention that the 404 area code has been used up (5+?) years ago; isn't it 770, 678, and 470 now?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On your computer when u type
" I think cgc " does it automatically complete it to say " I thing Cgc is heading down the wrong path"?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lol. I'm expecting some ATL rap...well at least if its player driven. Every time I hang out with the guys its always Lil Baby, Gunna, Young Thug, Lil Keed, etc on the aux.

At this point tho, it can be whatever as long as it gets them flying around on the field.
You know you’re speaking a foreign language to half the board right?

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Just going to say this again. Georgia Tech's phone number is 404-894-2000. The 404 branding is solely used to represent GT. It doesn't matter what area code they hand out these days. It's not meant to represent Atlanta as a whole, that's what "ATL" is for.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Collins isn't trying to out-recruit Georgia, though I'm sure he'd love to do so. He's trying to claw back to GT the kids from the area that would love to have a local option where they can play big time football where the kids WANT to play and think it's cool to play. That's not really the kids going to Georgia, though maybe here and there we might get one or two but I would highly doubt that CGC is counting on that group of kids. It's the ones that are leaving the state that could handle GT, and I believe strongly that there are more than you think (though I'm sure we'll agree to disagree on that and that's OK, we don't have to agree in order to have a good conversation) though it's certainly not as high a number as our competitors can recruit from, that he's targeting. We won't out-recruit Alabama or Auburn or Florida but some of the kids who might be looking there may give us a look or the kids looking at USCe or TAMU or others like that or the more academic schools like Stanford or Duke (the ones that we would want, not all of them) may turn their eyes back to their home 404.

I would say, as well, that there's nobody who understands better the ways to recruit nationally at GT specifically than Collins. He's done it at the highest level. Remember how he got himself into recruiting for GT was by browbeating George O'Leary into letting him recruit the rest of the country BESIDES the main areas we were already into. So he gets that. And I can say with near certainty that the message to those kids isn't "represent the 404 because it's your home" but rather "come down to the awesome 404/ATL where we have a great school that is unmatched, we will play top level football, and you will have the internships and life in the ATL that few top level schools can offer."

Don't look at the "404" as a way to exclude folks from outside the metro area. Look at it more as connecting GT to everything that is great about the city of Atlanta (of course I'm sure some won't like that we're in a big city but we are what we are, we aren't going to be a small college town so the kids that want that aren't right for this place) as a selling tool. I have a feeling that we're going to be fine from a recruiting strategy standpoint. We just need to show progress towards the goal of playing big time football again in order to keep that as the backdrop for the message.

I am baffled. But we are intrinsically a dork school. So.....
Maybe that's part of the problem when it comes to tradition. I think rednecks are probably much more tradition-oriented than dorks are. And since a not very high percentage of dorks support athletics anyway, it just proves more than ever that we need to start reaching out to the rednecks in the area. There were plenty of redneck supporters of the Jackets up until the 60s; we need to get them back.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
My first impression is negative as I do not like piped in music at football games. What the game & the band are not spectacle enough anymore? I am a little disappointed in some of the hype the new coach is bringing in particularly the "404" thing as opposing fanbases are already responding with " 404 file error no football team found" which is a clever retort I think/ I hope he is successful & becomes the winningest coach in GT history but it is time for football not marketing. Just want to say I have been a Tech fan since about 1960 & will always be.
We need this marketing and more SO bad it’s not even funny