Deion/ GT having discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ah. So they were - how shall I put it? - fools. His record at UF was - let me check - 34 - 15 with 3 bowt appearances in 4 years and 2 wins plus 3 years in the top 20. And that doesn't include his years at MSU. He was 69 - 46 there with 8 bowl appearances in 9 years with 3 years in the top 25. Then he goes 5 - 6 and they fire him? I mean I knew the Gator fans were fickle, but firing Mullen was easily the worst mistake in UF football history.

Ah, well. Their loss could easily be our gain. I don't care if the alums or the media like him. All I care about is whether he would win. I don't see much to say he wouldn't if Tech hired him, but let's see how Collins does this year first.
Yes, well I would tell them that "We should have such problems" and they would sniff sympathetically and say something like "In the SEC, mediocrity cannot be tolerated..." He won plenty of games just not the ones they wanted. I tried to tell them but they would not listen. Anyway, maybe Billy will be the savior they have sought for lo these many years. Can't be worse than Champ and McElwain. Just don't get them started on those two characters.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ah. So they were - how shall I put it? - fools. His record at UF was - let me check - 34 - 15 with 3 bowt appearances in 4 years and 2 wins plus 3 years in the top 20. And that doesn't include his years at MSU. He was 69 - 46 there with 8 bowl appearances in 9 years with 3 years in the top 25. Then he goes 5 - 6 and they fire him? I mean I knew the Gator fans were fickle, but firing Mullen was easily the worst mistake in UF football history.

Ah, well. Their loss could easily be our gain. I don't care if the alums or the media like him. All I care about is whether he would win. I don't see much to say he wouldn't if Tech hired him, but let's see how Collins does this year first.
You do understand that the perfect season for Florida fans is as follows: Go 12-0 during the regular season. Call timeout to run the score up on Georgia like the HBC once did. Stomp the living daylights out of Alabama like the HBC once did. Beat Notre Dame for the national championship in the Orange Bowl then fire the coach under the goal posts after the game.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
34 - 15. To repeat: 34 - 15. Or let me put it differently:

34 - 15.
2-6 in the SEC ain’t gonna cut it at Florida, my man. 34-15 isn’t great anyway. Especially not when you’re getting paid $7.6M a year.

At UF you have 2 jobs: beat Florida State, and win the SEC East. He did the former, but couldn’t beat Georgia and win the East outside of the Covid year. It’s really not all that surprising he was let go.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Imagine being a GT fan scoffing at a coach that went 34-15 coaching in the SEC as UF's coach. He finished first in the SEC East once, second twice. What a time to be a GT fan...
Imagine thinking the expectations at Florida and Georgia Tech should be the same. God, there can’t even be any discussion on this board without somebody jumping in and pointing out the obvious.

No s**t, 34-15 for Georgia Tech would be a wonderful change of pace right now. But that’s not what we were talking about. If Deion came to GT and went 34-15 that would be sick.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yes, well I would tell them that "We should have such problems" and they would sniff sympathetically and say something like "In the SEC, mediocrity cannot be tolerated..." He won plenty of games just not the ones they wanted. I tried to tell them but they would not listen.

Didn't we essentially do the same with Chan Gailey? He won but just not the right games and we went bowling every year. However, his personality didn't sit well with the fans and he couldn't/wouldn't solve his issues with the O. We haven't been a consistently winning program since despite the occasional flash in the pan seasons.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Didn't we essentially do the same with Chan Gailey? He won but just not the right games and we went bowling every year. However, his personality didn't sit well with the fans and he couldn't/wouldn't solve his issues with the O. We haven't been a consistently winning program since despite the occasional flash in the pan seasons.
Depends on how you define consistently winning. I thought we were pretty successful not that long ago.

Chan was let go because he never won anything of substance. His best season was 9 wins.

slugboy

Staff member
Didn’t Chan also lose an ACC championship game to Wake Forest with Calvin Johnson on the team?
In the rain and mud, and I don’t think Wake could stop the run that day. Some back named Tashard Choice. If we’d had a stronger offensive strategy, we’d have won that game—that team was talented. 2006.

We also lost in the Gator Bowl to WVU 38-35 in a shootout.

Yeeesh, Reggie’s stat line:
Pass
PlayerSchoolCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
Reggie BallGeorgia Tech92931.01294.41.30254.6
Riley SkinnerWake Forest142556.02018.08.000123.5

RushReceScri
PlayerSchoolAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
Tashard ChoiceGeorgia Tech211004.80211004.80
Reggie BallGeorgia Tech15463.1015463.10
Calvin JohnsonGeorgia Tech2-3-1.50811714.601011411.40
James JohnsonGeorgia Tech11212.0011212.00
Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 9/10/2022.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Imagine thinking the expectations at Florida and Georgia Tech should be the same. God, there can’t even be any discussion on this board without somebody jumping in and pointing out the obvious.

No s**t, 34-15 for Georgia Tech would be a wonderful change of pace right now. But that’s not what we were talking about. If Deion came to GT and went 34-15 that would be sick.

Lol. Imagine being an adult who gets on a message board and has to cuss to get his point across. Have at it cowboy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Your rebuttal is that he "cussed"?

The point of my rebuttal is when a keyboard cowboy starts getting angry over a message board discussion, it's better to just laugh it off and move on. If you're familiar with certain fonts, you know their posting patterns. Some fonts want a rational discussion, others just want to get angry. I'd rather enjoy a day of college football than have a petty argument on an internet message board. To each their own.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
In the rain and mud, and I don’t think Wake could stop the run that day. Some back named Tashard Choice. If we’d had a stronger offensive strategy, we’d have won that game—that team was talented. 2006.

We also lost in the Gator Bowl to WVU 38-35 in a shootout.

was at that WVU game. Worst fans in the world. Still hate that whole stinking state as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.