Dedrick Mills

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate to add on here, but alcohol is 100% more dangerous than pot... and it's not even close. Move on.
A kid shouldn't be kicked off a team because of it either - at least 1/2 of kids at Tech, or any school, smoke and they aren't taking drug test randomly before a class or exam. If I had a kid, I'd be wayyyyyy more concerned about pills and alcohol when they are in college.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
My point is that statistically, marijuana usage is safer than alcohol. The cigarette and alcohol lobby is quite strong though.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When’s the last time someone got really high and committed domestic violence? Or when is the last time someone got high and drove under the influence and hurt someone? Not sure what point you are trying to make here but the fact that Mills failed two drug tests does not somehow make it any more dangerous or problematic than alcohol or cigarettes.
Totally missing the point. The violation is the issue, not what the violation was about. The fact that he wouldn't/couldn't choose to change his social habits knowing the negative outcomes it would cause for both him and his teammates suggests he's either an addict or very selfish. I believe the point being made was that his actions do not reflect a team-first attitude.

Anyone that can't separate "pot shouldn't be illegal" or "he should have never failed the drug tests because weed shouldn't be tested for" from the fact that he violated school and team policy multiple times doing the same thing should stop and reflect on that fact. He was kicked out for violating the same GTAA policy multiple times.

Now, I haven't read the two pages of comments after the original post, so someone else may very well have addressed these points already. Sorry if I'm repeating.

Animal02

Banned
Totally missing the point. The violation is the issue, not what the violation was about. The fact that he wouldn't/couldn't choose to change his social habits knowing the negative outcomes it would cause for both him and his teammates suggests he's either an addict or very selfish. I believe the point being made was that his actions do not reflect a team-first attitude.

Anyone that can't separate "pot shouldn't be illegal" or "he should have never failed the drug tests because weed shouldn't be tested for" from the fact that he violated school and team policy multiple times doing the same thing should stop and reflect on that fact. He was kicked out for violating the same GTAA policy multiple times.

Now, I haven't read the two pages of comments after the original post, so someone else may very well have addressed these points already. Sorry if I'm repeating.
It is part of the win at all cost mentality.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It is part of the win at all cost mentality.

We all get that DM broke the rules as written. He should have known better. But, there is no reason GT should have had the toughest drug policy in the country. It is not a religious institution nor a service academy. TStan recognized the policy was outdated and helped get it changed. CPJ praised those changes. Its not "win at all cost". Its just having a realistic, scientifically sound policy based in the 21st century. Not handicapping ourselves for stupid reasons doesn't equal "win at all costs".

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Talk about snake bit at the position. Your prized back smokes out of school, but that’s OK, you’ve got just as good a running back behind him, but wait, he’s already taken his football and gone home because he wasn’t getting enough snaps. But then you got a pretty good guy behind him... not so fast, he blows out his knee a couple weeks into the season.

Any of those three guys, but especially the first guy, were game changers for the offense. If you have a guaranteed 3 yards up the middle, it opens up the offense tremendously. We would’ve seen a whole heckuva lot less of the forced quarterback keeper. Defenders would have been focused on stopping the dive and not so much the alleys.

Truth. losing Mills cost us multiple wins imo. He was the perfect backbreaking BB that kept the Offense on schedule and wore out defenses. Him and Marshall were just a perfect 1-2 punch at BB.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We all get that DM broke the rules as written. He should have known better. But, there is no reason GT should have had the toughest drug policy in the country. It is not a religious institution nor a service academy. TStan recognized the policy was outdated and helped get it changed. CPJ praised those changes. Its not "win at all cost". Its just having a realistic, scientifically sound policy based in the 21st century. Not handicapping ourselves for stupid reasons doesn't equal "win at all costs".
There is nothing "sound" about using marijuana.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

racism was legal. your point is meanless. not all laws are just!

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

something wrong with what i said? you dont remember separate drinking fountains. 'we dont serve n.... here.' lynchings. etc? how old are you that you dont remember any of that.

it was legal to segregate. you dont remember?

"Sep 12, 2018 - The 15th Amendment, granting African-American men the right to vote, was adopted into the U.S. Constitution in 1870. Despite the amendment, by the late 1870s discriminatory practices were used to prevent African Americans from exercising their right to vote, especially in the SOUTH."

point being that not all laws are ethical or fair or just. not sure how to make it any plainer for you to understand. sometimes i cringe at the crap that comes from this board. it is cringe worthy.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
the same could be said about 100s of things kids come into contact including religion poor parents and crappy uniformed teachers!
NO NO not same. Pot affects adolescent brain development and chemical balances, even those under 25. Crisis building in the 20 to 25 year old population because of early age smoking and developmental effects. Pot today much stronger than that of 20 to 30 years ago.

rhino gold

Georgia Tech Fan
Fair enough. Georgia tech has a hard way of teaching personal responsibility. I nearly failed out my first qtr and had to make serious changes in my study habits to get out.
Not only Georgia Tech, but it also seems the community college too. If the young man smoked weed at Tech, he was smoking weed there too. Smoke too much weed, and you don't want to study, much less go to class. If you drink too much beer, you don't want to go to class or study either. The problem isn't Tech, it's the young man.