Dedrick Mills

GTFLETCH

Banned
Former Georgia Tech RB Dedrick Mills needs GPA bump to transfer to Nebraska

While Mills has already graduated from Garden City Community College, he did not participate in spring practice with the rest of his future Cornhusker teammates. Monday, Mills’ junior college head coach explained to the Lincoln Journal Star that the standout running back needs to bump-up his grade point average in order to enroll at his new university. “[H]e’s there [at GCCC] trying to get his GPA up,” Jeff Sims told the Journal Star. “The issue isn’t needing credits. The issue is GPA. You have to have a 2.5 to transfer to Division I. It’s not like back in the day when you needed to just graduate.

“He’s working to raise that GPA. The problem is, the more classes you take, the better grades you have to get.”

Link
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...mills-needs-gpa-bump-to-transfer-to-nebraska/

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
My word, Dedrick just doesn’t learn. Every time a door opens, he seems to close it on himself. He’s got a C average at Garden Community College? COME ON MAN.
He should have went to Ole Miss or North Carolina,they would have found a way to get him in school...........................................if you know what i mean;)

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Kind of makes you wonder if he would have lasted much longer at Tech regardless of his other issues.

If you have less than a 2.5 GPA at a CC you either 1) just mentally struggle to learn the required material in an academic environment (I tried to phrase this nicely) or 2) aren’t trying very hard.

And you would think at this point he’d be giving his best effort with the opportunity presented to him.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Dedrick is a prime example of a great football talent that does not fit into the traditional model of collegiate athletics. It would be great if there were a minor league professional football system for young men like Dedrick to forgo college and play the game at an entry developmental level. It would allow them to earn some money, hone their skills and work toward landing a position in the league. Of course this would gut a lot of the football factories so the entrenched system will fight this tooth and nail. If we were honest about things, a very high percentage of the young men participating in the college football system have little or no desire for the college experience other than playing football in the hope of achieving professional status. I think things will evolve to a system where guys like Dedrick have a place to play the game without the worry of having to make a certain GPA.

Go Jackets!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Deddrick - some non nuclear families and hs coaches are better than others. The hs coach should have been involved in process.

Love the " u are your brother's keeper" video on grmt twitter the strength coach is teaching. we do our thing for each other - when brother falls down....

I hope we can be a program that can get a few less than perfect background kids to graduation. Roommate selection....

GTFLETCH

Banned
Dedrick is a prime example of a great football talent that does not fit into the traditional model of collegiate athletics. It would be great if there were a minor league professional football system for young men like Dedrick to forgo college and play the game at an entry developmental level. It would allow them to earn some money, hone their skills and work toward landing a position in the league. Of course this would gut a lot of the football factories so the entrenched system will fight this tooth and nail. If we were honest about things, a very high percentage of the young men participating in the college football system have little or no desire for the college experience other than playing football in the hope of achieving professional status. I think things will evolve to a system where guys like Dedrick have a place to play the game without the worry of having to make a certain GPA.

Go Jackets!
XFL

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't doubt that our tutoring system at Tech is not duplicated at Garden Community College. I also don't doubt that Dedrick will do well enough this semester to transfer; often all that is needed is a slight kick in the pants and an advisor that will find the right courses (i.e. the guts). I also don't doubt that the Huskers will be pretty glad he's on the field when he gets there.

Too bad Tech's policies then aren't like they are now. Dedrick would have been running over people for two years now. Ah, well. At least, the players we have now won't be contending with the same purely administrative obstacles.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't doubt that our tutoring system at Tech is not duplicated at Garden Community College. I also don't doubt that Dedrick will do well enough this semester to transfer; often all that is needed is a slight kick in the pants and an advisor that will find the right courses (i.e. the guts). I also don't doubt that the Huskers will be pretty glad he's on the field when he gets there.

Too bad Tech's policies then aren't like they are now. Dedrick would have been running over people for two years now. Ah, well. At least, the players we have now won't be contending with the same purely administrative obstacles.

Dedrick didn’t have academic issues at Tech, we were getting him through class fine.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The fact that he was academically qualified at Tech but is failing out of a community college shows that those excuses about our academics being too hard are a bunch of bs.
A. He isn't failing out. I'm not sure where you got that.

B. Tech has dynamite support system for our athletes and the coaches are careful to recruit players who can stick once they get to Tech (and The Hill won't let in anybody else). Because the academics are hard.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
A. He isn't failing out. I'm not sure where you got that.

B. Tech has dynamite support system for our athletes and the coaches are careful to recruit players who can stick once they get to Tech (and The Hill won't let in anybody else). Because the academics are hard.

You're right, technically he didn't fail out so I'm sorry for any confusion I caused. But right now his low GPA doesn't allow him admission to the academic powerhouse that is Nebraska yet we allowed him in and he never failed out after being in school for 1+ year. My only point is that academics shouldn't be used as an excuse as much as it has been.