Dedrick Mills

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not only Georgia Tech, but it also seems the community college too. If the young man smoked weed at Tech, he was smoking weed there too. Smoke too much weed, and you don't want to study, much less go to class. If you drink too much beer, you don't want to go to class or study either. The problem isn't Tech, it's the young man.
Perhaps the best things I learned in college were self discipline and personal responsibility. Maybe you can get a GT degree without them, but life afterwards is impossible if you don't. It seems that he is possibly still struggling with one or both.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
NO NO not same. Pot affects adolescent brain development and chemical balances, even those under 25. Crisis building in the 20 to 25 year old population because of early age smoking and developmental effects. Pot today much stronger than that of 20 to 30 years ago.

Why is pot stronger now? Quality competition among cartels?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
When’s the last time someone got really high and committed domestic violence? Or when is the last time someone got high and drove under the influence and hurt someone? Not sure what point you are trying to make here but the fact that Mills failed two drug tests does not somehow make it any more dangerous or problematic than alcohol or cigarettes.
Watch the news... It happens. I know a person that went bat sh!t crazy after eating her special brownies. She "knew" someone was there"to get them" and was going to put a hole through them before they touched her. It wasn't a pretty scene. We had to restrain her.

Do you really want someone driving around you, doing your surgery, etc. while they are high or just come off a high?

And I he BS that MJ isn't a gateway is just that. I know people that are addicted and are busting their butts every day/minute to stay sober.

And yes I know someone arrested for domestic violence when they were high.

Milwaukee

Banned
Watch the news... It happens. I know a person that went bat sh!t crazy after eating her special brownies. She "knew" someone was there"to get them" and was going to put a hole through them before they touched her. It wasn't a pretty scene. We had to restrain her.

Do you really want someone driving around you, doing your surgery, etc. while they are high or just come off a high?

And I he BS that MJ isn't a gateway is just that. I know people that are addicted and are busting their butts every day/minute to stay sober.

I wanna party with you Cowboy. Not even joking.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

This reads like old school reefer madness silliness. All of these things are just as true, if not more so, of alcohol. And yet we don't have posts and posts pontificating on that. Because who cares if players go to a party have a drink every once in a while as long as it doesn't get in the way of what they need to do. Why should it be any different about marijuana which isn't as harmful to you?

It sounds like your acquaintance overshot her tolerance level and got freaked out. It happens. If she did that with vodka she could have ended up needing her stomach pumped. Or dead.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This reads like old school reefer madness silliness. All of these things are just as true, if not more so, of alcohol. And yet we don't have posts and posts pontificating on that. Because who cares if players go to a party have a drink every once in a while as long as it doesn't get in the way of what they need to do. Why should it be any different about marijuana which isn't as harmful to you?

It sounds like your acquaintance overshot her tolerance level and got freaked out. It happens. If she did that with vodka she could have ended up needing her stomach pumped. Or dead.
All true. Just pointing out that "it" can and does happen with pot.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
All true. Just pointing out that "it" can and does happen with pot.

Fair enough.

A lot of things can mess you and others around you up if you're in a bad state of mind, aren't going in with your eyes open, can't handle them, or are just not a great person to begin with. Weed's not an exception.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Man, this thread jumped the shark long ago and needs to be shut down or moved. I sincerely hope Mills can get it together and get into school at Nebraska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If he cleans up, he can still go to the the NFL. He doesn't have to play at Nebraska, or any college actually.

Assuming he's already off weed, etc. If he's good enough, then he'll play pro ball somewhere.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan

This either really, really, reallly good satire or it's the most perfectly concise cliffsnotes version of all of the most absurdly ignorant statements and ridiculous stereotypes on the topic I've ever seen. Either way, kudos to you sir.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If he cleans up, he can still go to the the NFL. He doesn't have to play at Nebraska, or any college actually.

Assuming he's already off weed, etc. If he's good enough, then he'll play pro ball somewhere.
Big if. NFL is big on off field behavior and it doesn’t matter how good you are.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This either really, really, reallly good satire or it's the most perfectly concise cliffsnotes version of all of the most absurdly ignorant statements and ridiculous stereotypes on the topic I've ever seen. Either way, kudos to you sir.
Truth can be stranger than fiction.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You are pretty naive if you don't think people are driving high around you all the time. And I could easily find examples of people with identical behaviors to the rest of your post who weren't on any drugs at all, so the anecdotal evidence isn't going to earn you any points either.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
You are pretty naive if you don't think people are driving high around you all the time. And I could easily find examples of people with identical behaviors to the rest of your post who weren't on any drugs at all, so the anecdotal evidence isn't going to earn you any points either.
Not yearning to gather points. Just giving facts.

As an example, cell phones cause distracted driving too. Pretty sure it happens every where.

Someone being tired daydreaming, in an argument, etc. Can all act as I described earlier.

Not sure what your real point is supposed to be.

I have no doubt at this moment there are people all over the world under the influence of drugs, alcohol, stress, sleep deprivation, etc. doing things that cause problems.

Naivete is thinking that marijuana is "safe".

JMO

Back to the OP... Mills doesn't have to play any more college football to make it to the NFL, CFL, XFL etc. If he's good enough and can follow rules.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
racism was legal. your point is meanless. not all laws are just!
I think you need to revisit your thought process on this one. The team/school policies and rules were in place long before DM decided to come to GT. He understood what the rules were. He understood what the ramifications were. He violated GTAA policy once and was reprimanded. He was given counselling (school policy) and everyone moved forward. He was caught in violation of the same GTAA policy a second time. Again, counselled, and this time the repercussions were game suspensions (which hurt his team). At that time, he knew that if he violated the same school policy a third time that he would be excused from the team and no longer be part of the GTAA. He chose to violate the same policy a third time.

That's either an addict (someone who does not have the ability to resist the urge to partake) or very selfish (someone that repeatedly put his own desires and wants over the betterment of his team and teammates). My point is not mean[ing]less, because there was nothing unjust about the situation. He knew the rules, he chose to break the rules, he paid the ultimate price for those choices.

I have no problem with DM. I wish him luck and maturity. If he has an addiction, I wish him health. Regardless, he made his choices and he's living with the outcomes of the choices.