Dedrick Mills

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Certainly, we had some terrible luck there. Yet, Mason and Howard as a combo, statistically, at least, were just as good as any of those guys. To me, our offensive problems were all about the QB position. Of course, there is a lot of bad luck/attrition you can point to there, as well.
Those guys are good, but not good enough to force the defense’s hand to over play the middle of the field.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
When’s the last time someone got really high and committed domestic violence? Or when is the last time someone got high and drove under the influence and hurt someone? Not sure what point you are trying to make here but the fact that Mills failed two drug tests does not somehow make it any more dangerous or problematic than alcohol or cigarettes.
One of my best friends at Tech got into pot and it changed his entire personality and he committed suicide. I believe his and most suicides are complicated beyond pot, but it damn well played a role in it. I'd say this is a case of violence, huh?
There is no room at all in criticizing Tech's pot policy when a kid gets THREE strikes.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Dedrick is a prime example of a great football talent that does not fit into the traditional model of collegiate athletics. It would be great if there were a minor league professional football system for young men like Dedrick to forgo college and play the game at an entry developmental level. It would allow them to earn some money, hone their skills and work toward landing a position in the league. Of course this would gut a lot of the football factories so the entrenched system will fight this tooth and nail. If we were honest about things, a very high percentage of the young men participating in the college football system have little or no desire for the college experience other than playing football in the hope of achieving professional status. I think things will evolve to a system where guys like Dedrick have a place to play the game without the worry of having to make a certain GPA.

Go Jackets!
I like the concept you lay out. It’s at least equitable for people who don’t value the education. However, as a % of P5 CFB, there probably aren’t as many people like Dedrick as we might think. One of Coach Collins’ biggest assumptions is that the best football players desire to be exceptional in every phase of life. I still think a high enough % of P5 players are smart enough to recognize the importance of education.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One of my best friends at Tech got into pot and it changed his entire personality and he committed suicide. I believe his and most suicides are complicated beyond pot, but it damn well played a role in it. I'd say this is a case of violence, huh?
There is no room at all in criticizing Tech's pot policy when a kid gets THREE strikes.
I tend to agree, but I'd expect some level of support after Tech knows a kid has a problem. In this case, still not sure an appropriate level of support wasn't given.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
When’s the last time someone got really high and committed domestic violence? Or when is the last time someone got high and drove under the influence and hurt someone? Not sure what point you are trying to make here but the fact that Mills failed two drug tests does not somehow make it any more dangerous or problematic than alcohol or cigarettes.

Well, since you mentioned it. My aunt was killed by a SOB who was stoned on marijuana and drove through a stop sign at 50 mph. So yes, I think it is more dangerous than alcohol and certainly cigarettes.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
What about one puff?
Inhale or no? j/k

I honestly don't know the answer to that. My argument in rebuttal would be that it would be surprising to me to learn of a significant "one-puff" pot smoking population. If there is, feel free to correct me. There is a significant portion of the population, however, who will drink a beer or two with no intention and no consequence of drunkenness or any behavior/mind-altering effects at all.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Well, since you mentioned it. My aunt was killed by a SOB who was stoned on marijuana and drove through a stop sign at 50 mph. So yes, I think it is more dangerous than alcohol and certainly cigarettes.
You think? Have you ever done it?
Inhale or no? j/k

I honestly don't know the answer to that. My argument in rebuttal would be that it would be surprising to me to learn of a significant "one-puff" pot smoking population. If there is, feel free to correct me. There is a significant portion of the population, however, who will drink a beer or two with no intention and no consequence of drunkenness or any behavior/mind-altering effects at all.
i smoke one puff all the time. The pot is so good now that is all you need. And it tastes and smells delicious

When I was at tech I used to clean my bong religiously every Friday so as to be able to have a fresh a hit as possible.

I usually vape or use a “one hitter” now.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
i smoke one puff all the time. The pot is so good now that is all you need.
so, there's the crux of the question ... all you need for what? I have to suppose you to mean for an effect of some sort, which would then put it in a different category than the 1-beer.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Certainly, we had some terrible luck there. Yet, Mason and Howard as a combo, statistically, at least, were just as good as any of those guys. To me, our offensive problems were all about the QB position. Of course, there is a lot of bad luck/attrition you can point to there, as well.
We had problems both places due to injuries and transfers. The main thing here is that the spread option is a system offense. If Mills had been able to stay, we could have run the most straightforward version of the O: a QB/BB offense. If Jordan or Ratliff had remained healthy and had Mills to work with, we would have been a team to fear. It would have been just like Navy was with Will Wirth and co.; everything work together and the opposing Ds find themselves unable to effectively defend the field. I was soooo looking forward to that. We would have run over everybody and, yes, I include Clemson and Ugag.

Ah, well. Every team has injuries and misfortune, but since 2016 we have had as bad a run of luck at these vital positions as we ever did during Paul's career. At least, we had some good players coming up who helped us to a winning season last year and some signal victories. Now let's hope that the transition is relatively painless and that we hold serve or better. That may take some luck, but it can happen.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
There is no room at all in criticizing Tech's pot policy when a kid gets THREE strikes.[/QUO

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
so, there's the crux of the question ... all you need for what? I have to suppose you to mean for an effect of some sort, which would then put it in a different category than the 1-beer.

We put plenty of substances into our bodies which are intended to have a mind or mood altering effect of some sort. It is fairly arbitrary and culturally determined which ones we are "allowed" and even prescribed by doctors to use, and which ones are forbidden. Prohibition certainly isn't science-based. Chemically altering one's mind isn't automatically bad or wrong, in my view.

Also, 1-2 beers does have a mildly pleasant effect, though heavy drinkers will not notice it.

(Sorry mods. This thread is headed toward lounge territory, I think.)

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You think? Have you ever done it?

i smoke one puff all the time. The pot is so good now that is all you need. And it tastes and smells delicious

When I was at tech I used to clean my bong religiously every Friday so as to be able to have a fresh a hit as possible.

I usually vape or use a “one hitter” now.

No, I have not "done it". School systems take a very dim view of teachers smoking marijuana. Why do you think they call it "dope"?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We had problems both places due to injuries and transfers. The main thing here is that the spread option is a system offense. If Mills had been able to stay, we could have run the most straightforward version of the O: a QB/BB offense. If Jordan or Ratliff had remained healthy and had Mills to work with, we would have been a team to fear. It would have been just like Navy was with Will Wirth and co.; everything work together and the opposing Ds find themselves unable to effectively defend the field. I was soooo looking forward to that. We would have run over everybody and, yes, I include Clemson and Ugag.

Ah, well. Every team has injuries and misfortune, but since 2016 we have had as bad a run of luck at these vital positions as we ever did during Paul's career. At least, we had some good players coming up who helped us to a winning season last year and some signal victories. Now let's hope that the transition is relatively painless and that we hold serve or better. That may take some luck, but it can happen.

A shame. Mills was POTENTIALLY the best B back since Dwyer. He did not have Marshall's burst but he could break arm tackles like nobody's business. The best of both worlds would be a B back tandem of Mills and Marshall. I cannot recall any other pair of B backs that would be better although the 2014 tandem of Days and Laskey was very good.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
unless youve smoked it your OPINION is worthless.
Well, okay. But I've never smoke cigarettes, and I know they kill you. (I veered from smoking during my first Georgia summer of cropping tobacco. When you leave the field covered in black tar that has to be removed with kerosene, you don't have to be a GT man to know what is going in your lungs.)

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Comparing the effects of marijuana and alcohol is apple's and oranges. They both effect the brain differently and create totally opposite "highs" in the user.

The potential for good and the positive qualities of marijuana far outweigh those of alcohol, if there are any.

As for the post above about the individual committing suicide after beginning to use marijuana, knowing nothing else about the situation, I'm relatively certain this individual had underlying mental health issues and was likely self medicating using marijuana, which is very, very common. Think about that the next time you throw your judgement at someone who consumes marijuana.

Personally, given my experience, I think its safer for athletic team pain management trainers/MDs to treat athletic injury pain and rehab with marijuana than opiates. Actually I know it's far safer, and it's a damn shame marijuana still has this ridiculous stigma attached to it, as well as still being illegal for medical purposes in many places.

I cant speak for recreational purposes, but for medical and pain management purposes, marijuana is by far the safest and smartest option. It's unfortunate Big Pharma is able to regulate it through lobby.

I digress. I realize the topic was penalties for student athlete marijuana use, but some of the ignorant posts here fired me up. And dont take it personally if your post was one of the ignorant ones. Educate yourself instead. And when the issue is on the ballot in your state, vote wisely.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Comparing the effects of marijuana and alcohol is apple's and oranges. They both effect the brain differently and create totally opposite "highs" in the user.

The potential for good and the positive qualities of marijuana far outweigh those of alcohol, if there are any.

As for the post above about the individual committing suicide after beginning to use marijuana, knowing nothing else about the situation, I'm relatively certain this individual had underlying mental health issues and was likely self medicating using marijuana, which is very, very common. Think about that the next time you throw your judgement at someone who consumes marijuana.

Personally, given my experience, I think its safer for athletic team pain management trainers/MDs to treat athletic injury pain and rehab with marijuana than opiates. Actually I know it's far safer, and it's a damn shame marijuana still has this ridiculous stigma attached to it, as well as still being illegal for medical purposes in many places.

I cant speak for recreational purposes, but for medical and pain management purposes, marijuana is by far the safest and smartest option. It's unfortunate Big Pharma is able to regulate it through lobby.

I digress. I realize the topic was penalties for student athlete marijuana use, but some of the ignorant posts here fired me up. And dont take it personally if your post was one of the ignorant ones. Educate yourself instead. And when the issue is on the ballot in your state, vote wisely.
This whole thread is going to pot.