DC Hire

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Would you want a coach that may not want to be here now
Probably not, but we aren’t in the position to dump his years salary for nothing.
If he’s a professional and wants a further career, I would expect him to coach the best he can.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I said it in the coach thread, wasn’t NW under contract for 2 years?
If he doesn’t take another job, we will owe him that money. Might as well keep him as a position coach if it’s a sunken cost, then replace him next year.

I typically want recruiting from my position coaches, and that is not one of Woody's strong suits.

If not here, he'll have opportunities elsewhere. He had turned down other chances in the past.

nyto

Georgia Tech Fan
Side note: could be cool to see Keanu Neal and Brian Poole come to visit/ workout at tech and visit their old D-coordinator. Maybe they bring more falcons?

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
I typically want recruiting from my position coaches, and that is not one of Woody's strong suits.

If not here, he'll have opportunities elsewhere. He had turned down other chances in the past.
CNW supposedly has other offers/interest.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems that linebackers have flourished under Collins, so I'm excited to see what kind of development he can give our young talent there. If he can get a first team All-ACC caliber linebacker to come to GT, that could really change the defense.
OMG please. The late 90s and early 00s were a great time for GT LBs, would love to see that again. Need more future pros there.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Would think Coach Nathan Burton would come along with CGC, to continue coaching DB’s?

Personally, I believe Nate is one of the up and coming recruiters. He certainly knows G.T. and has really helped Collins recruit this area for Temple.

Prior to his time with NC State, Burton served as the defensive coordinator at West Alabama for three seasons. His prior coaching stops were at Shorter University (defensive coordinator, 2012-13), Tennessee-Martin (linebackers and secondary, 2010-11), Oklahoma State (graduate assistant, 2009), and Georgia Tech (graduate assistant, 2005-08).

A native of Lilburn, Ga., Burton earned a spot on Georgia Tech's roster as a walk-on freshman and earned a scholarship. He went on to become a four-year letterwinner as a Yellow Jackets' safety and was named the team's Lifter of the Year in 2004. After earning his B.S. in applied biology from Georgia Tech in 2005, Burton began his coaching career as a graduate assistant for the Yellow Jackets.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would venture to guess the next DC would largely be a "figurehead" DC. Something tells me CGC would have ultimate say on defense...that is his calling card.

nyto

Georgia Tech Fan
Speculation, but honestly I think we should expect his DC at Temple - Andrew Thacker. He is from Cartersville and coached at Kennesaw & the Atlanta Falcons. Supposed to be an up and comer. 33 years old. He is mentioned as a candidate to be HC at Temple. If he doesn't get it, he could likely be our DC.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Just a little side info.

F5645426-61ED-49E3-9073-0E771254F282.jpeg

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Would think Coach Nathan Burton would come along with CGC, to continue coaching DB’s?

Personally, I believe Nate is one of the up and coming recruiters. He certainly knows G.T. and has really helped Collins recruit this area for Temple.

Prior to his time with NC State, Burton served as the defensive coordinator at West Alabama for three seasons. His prior coaching stops were at Shorter University (defensive coordinator, 2012-13), Tennessee-Martin (linebackers and secondary, 2010-11), Oklahoma State (graduate assistant, 2009), and Georgia Tech (graduate assistant, 2005-08).

A native of Lilburn, Ga., Burton earned a spot on Georgia Tech's roster as a walk-on freshman and earned a scholarship. He went on to become a four-year letterwinner as a Yellow Jackets' safety and was named the team's Lifter of the Year in 2004. After earning his B.S. in applied biology from Georgia Tech in 2005, Burton began his coaching career as a graduate assistant for the Yellow Jackets.
I believe you are correct - I expect Burton (along with Thacker) to come with Collins. Other potential names I would expect at to come to Tech are Larry Knight (outside linebackers/recruiting coordinator, Augusta native) and Stan Hixon (wide receivers, was the WR coach at GT in '99). Other potential names (if the current staff in these positions are not retained) are Jim Panagos (defensive line) and David Feeley (strength and conditioning)