Dawgs want to stop playing us to "fix their atrocious schedule"

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Look again. gtsucks is right in that Bama, Auburn and LSU all play 7 home games, 1 neutral site game, and 4 road conference games. Due to the UF/uga game in Jacksonville every year, UF has their schedule set up for 7 home games every year. In 2018, they will have 4 home SEC games, 3 OOC home games with FSU on the road. In 2019, they get 3 SEC home games, uga in Jacksonville, and all 4 OOC games including FSU at home.

The common thread here, though, is that a lot of SEC teams only go on the road for conference games, rivalry games, or neutral site games; they don't/won't sign home & away deals anymore.
GT might be better off in that situation playing a mid major team like Appalachian State,East Carolina,BYU or Rice to fill that hole in the schedule.

Really? You looked at their schedules and saw 8 home games for all those teams? You realize the spring game is a scrimmage and would naturally be played in their home stadium because they're playing themselves?

I'll use Alabama as an example:

2018 Alabama football schedule
1 Louisville @ Orlando
2 Arkansas State
3 @Ole Miss
4 Texas A&M
5 UL Lafayette
6 @Arkansas
7 Mizzou
8 @Tennessee
9 open
10 @LSU
11 Mississippi State
12 Citadel
13 Auburn

That's SEVEN (not eight) home games.

Here's Auburn:
1 Washington @Atlanta
2 Alabama State
3 LSU
4 Arkansas
5 Southern Miss
6 @Mississippi State
7 Tennessee
8 @Ole Miss
9 open
10 Texas A&M
11 @Georgia
12 Liberty
13 @Alabama

Well looky there, SEVEN home games again.

I would continue this for the other teams you mentioned, but I think you see where that is going.

Point is they do not play 5 or 6 games on the road, ie in a stadium filled with the opposition. In many of those "Neutral sites", they are basically the home team.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I hate this idea. COFH is an institution for the Institute and I am against this full stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
The link for the podcast (which there is no way I'll listen to) poses the question about dropping us. Anyone know what their conclusion was?

gtsucks

Jolly Good Fellow
Point is they do not play 5 or 6 games on the road, ie in a stadium filled with the opposition. In many of those "Neutral sites", they are basically the home team.

But you were so sure they played 8 home games lol So they're supposed to turn down invites to kick-off games with tons of media exposure so they can go play at South Florida, Oregon State, Virginia, or Maryland?

And several of them do play 5 or 6 road games. UGA just did in 2017 going to Notre Dame, Tech, Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy, and Jacksonville/Florida. Ole Miss did in 2016/2017 traveling to Cal and Orlando vs FSU. Auburn did in 2017 as well with a game @Clemson. Most teams play around 5-6 rode/neutral games and simetimes it works out where they only have four road games.

The point is you were whining without really doing much research.

The link for the podcast (which there is no way I'll listen to) poses the question about dropping us. Anyone know what their conclusion was?
The AJC has an article concerning this. Those who posted comments include some obvious mutt trolls who think they should drop us "because Tech football is now no more than a club sport." WOW, interesting that our "club" has beat them 2 out of the past 4 years. More sensible mutt posters (and I know one of them personally) say that not only should they NOT drop Tech, but they SHOULD drop the 3 generally meaningless OOC opponents and schedule representative teams. He blames McGarrity for their atrocious OOC schedule.

Deleted member 2897

Really? You looked at their schedules and saw 8 home games for all those teams? You realize the spring game is a scrimmage and would naturally be played in their home stadium because they're playing themselves?

I'll use Alabama as an example:

2018 Alabama football schedule
1 Louisville @ Orlando
2 Arkansas State
3 @Ole Miss
4 Texas A&M
5 UL Lafayette
6 @Arkansas
7 Mizzou
8 @Tennessee
9 open
10 @LSU
11 Mississippi State
12 Citadel
13 Auburn

That's SEVEN (not eight) home games.

Here's Auburn:
1 Washington @Atlanta
2 Alabama State
3 LSU
4 Arkansas
5 Southern Miss
6 @Mississippi State
7 Tennessee
8 @Ole Miss
9 open
10 Texas A&M
11 @Georgia
12 Liberty
13 @Alabama

Well looky there, SEVEN home games again.

I would continue this for the other teams you mentioned, but I think you see where that is going.

Not only is the Spring Game a game, it is for 1 of their annual National Championships. The Spring Game Attendance National Championship, the Recruiting Class Ranking National Championship, the Preseason Ranking National Championship, and The Fulmer Cup.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So this coming year Georgia plays 8 home games. We play 6. Clemson has 7 home games. And......looking at the SEC, Bama, Auburn, LSU etc they all play 8 home games. Now we know why the SEC wins so many games. The NCAA needs to take a look at this.
If you want Tech to play 7 or 8 home games we would need to sellout the stadium every home and that would include teams like Sisters of the poor. Can anyone remember one year we have sold out all home games ? I've been a season ticket holder since 1981 and don't remember one. How much does Alabama pay Citadel and how much would we pay Citadel ? I don't have any idea but I would guess more than us.

May not be that easy NC State and UNC , Duke and WF , Pitt and Miami play the this year and did last year. Atlantic division team would not work unless the ACC went to 9 games.
Pitt and Miami are not traditional rivals and each plays what should be a traditional rival during the course of the season (assuming Pitt plays PSU. Do they?). I don't think BC has a traditional rival. I think there are at least a few non-ACC teams who do not have traditional rivalry games that year. Other possibilities for Tech, although not ones I would particularly be clamoring for, are Ga Southern, Georgia State, and Kennesaw State. I don't believe any of them have a regularly scheduled Thanksgiving weekend game. One might say that Georgia could schedule any of those 3 to replace Tech, but I think we all know they would never do that.

gtsucks

Jolly Good Fellow
Not only is the Spring Game a game, it is for 1 of their annual National Championships. The Spring Game Attendance National Championship, the Recruiting Class Ranking National Championship, the Preseason Ranking National Championship, and The Fulmer Cup.

I was referring to spring games in general, not Uga's

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Pitt and Miami are not traditional rivals and each plays what should be a traditional rival during the course of the season (assuming Pitt plays PSU. Do they?). I don't think BC has a traditional rival. I think there are at least a few non-ACC teams who do not have traditional rivalry games that year. Other possibilities for Tech, although not ones I would particularly be clamoring for, are Ga Southern, Georgia State, and Kennesaw State. I don't believe any of them have a regularly scheduled Thanksgiving weekend game. One might say that Georgia could schedule any of those 3 to replace Tech, but I think we all know they would never do that.
Not sure about BC we don't play them every year. and the other 3 would be ok to play but not the last game.

Not sure about BC we don't play them every year. and the other 3 would be ok to play but not the last game.
Obviously I wouldn't want to be forced to drop the mutts, anyway, but if it did happen, why not one of those three for the final game? They're all instate and should draw big crowds. In fact, I doubt any of them would have to be home-and-home, since BDS has a larger capacity than any of their home stadiums.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Obviously I wouldn't want to be forced to drop the mutts, anyway, but if it did happen, why not one of those three for the final game? They're all instate and should draw big crowds. In fact, I doubt any of them would have to be home-and-home, since BDS has a larger capacity than any of their home stadiums.
I guess I'm old Georgia State , Kennesaw State , and Georgia State does not say Thanksgiving weekend to me. To open the season would be fine.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
GT might be better off in that situation playing a mid major team like Appalachian State,East Carolina,BYU or Rice to fill that hole in the schedule.

This will never happen for political reasons but if it did I would much prefer to play Auburn and Tennessee on a rotating basis. Quite frankly, I am tired of the uneven playing field in recruiting, their unending cheating, the thuggery that abounds with both the players and the fans as well as their constant yapping about one thing or another. Drop them and be done with it.