Dawgs want to stop playing us to "fix their atrocious schedule"

I don't think the suggestion comes from thinking Tech is weak, but rather dropping one of the other three FCS/Go5 teams could remove a home game from the schedule. By removing, say Austin Peavy, and adding an away game to the likes of Notre Dame/Clemson/Ohio State, etc or even a neutral site opener, that's one less home game in their stadium. May not sound like a big deal at first, but home games bring in a lot of money not only to the school but also the community (gas, hotels, restaurants, bars).
So this coming year Georgia plays 8 home games. We play 6. Clemson has 7 home games. And......looking at the SEC, Bama, Auburn, LSU etc they all play 8 home games. Now we know why the SEC wins so many games. The NCAA needs to take a look at this.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If UGA were to drop us from its football schedule, we would be just fine. We would likely consistently win another game each year, thereby minimizing our now annual post-season angst. We could still sing “To Hell With Georgia”, though, couldn’t we?

gtsucks

Jolly Good Fellow
So this coming year Georgia plays 8 home games. We play 6. Clemson has 7 home games. And......looking at the SEC, Bama, Auburn, LSU etc they all play 8 home games. Now we know why the SEC wins so many games. The NCAA needs to take a look at this.

Tech only has 6 home games because 2 of the 4 OOC games are away (@S Florida and rotating into Athens this year), so the 2 OOC games plus 4 conference games (8 conference games total, just like the SEC. PAC, XII, and B10 all play 9 conference games).

Not sure where you got 8 home games for Bama, Auburn, and LSU? Unless you counted the spring game? They all play a 4/4 conference schedule, 3 home OOC games, and a neutral site opener. Dwags play 8 because COFH comes to Athens this year, so that's 4 OOC games plus 4 conference games. Some years they only get 3 conference home games since Florida/Georgia is always played in Jacksonville. I'm all for a little trash talk, but let's make sure our facts are straight.

gtsucks

Jolly Good Fellow
If UGA were to drop us from its football schedule, we would be just fine. We would likely consistently win another game each year, thereby minimizing our now annual post-season angst. We could still sing “To Hell With Georgia”, though, couldn’t we?

Depends who was scheduled in their place. Assuming it was another P5 team, it could be just as tough of a game or maybe even tougher.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Alabama still mentions GT in their fight song.;)

The problem for both the mutts and for us, if they were to drop us, is who will either team play on Thanksgiving weekend. I think Tech could probably do ok in getting a game for that week, but the mutts, who already have their "atrocious" OOC schedule, wouldn't be able to find any quality team to play that weekend, because all of them are already involved in season-ending rivalries.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This somehow got into my Google news feed...so the way to fix the "atrocious" non-conference schedule is to take out GT. Well, it was really just a reason to bash us more. I couldn't listen to much past a few minutes of this garbage:

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/dawgnation-daily/georgia-football-podcast-uga-03-06-2018
Well atleast there are a bunch of comments from UGA fans that are saying that’s a dumb idea and GT is not the reason for the weak out of conference schedule.

Tech only has 6 home games because 2 of the 4 OOC games are away (@S Florida and rotating into Athens this year), so the 2 OOC games plus 4 conference games (8 conference games total, just like the SEC. PAC, XII, and B10 all play 9 conference games).

Not sure where you got 8 home games for Bama, Auburn, and LSU? Unless you counted the spring game? They all play a 4/4 conference schedule, 3 home OOC games, and a neutral site opener. Dwags play 8 because COFH comes to Athens this year, so that's 4 OOC games plus 4 conference games. Some years they only get 3 conference home games since Florida/Georgia is always played in Jacksonville. I'm all for a little trash talk, but let's make sure our facts are straight.

I looked at their schedules.....8 home games. And you can add Florida, Tennessee, Ole Miss.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They probably would not like playing us the weekend before the SEC championship -they figure it is automatic now- and we can spoil their focus on that.

gtsucks

Jolly Good Fellow
I looked at their schedules.....8 home games. And you can add Florida, Tennessee, Ole Miss.

Really? You looked at their schedules and saw 8 home games for all those teams? You realize the spring game is a scrimmage and would naturally be played in their home stadium because they're playing themselves?

I'll use Alabama as an example:

2018 Alabama football schedule
1 Louisville @ Orlando
2 Arkansas State
3 @Ole Miss
4 Texas A&M
5 UL Lafayette
6 @Arkansas
7 Mizzou
8 @Tennessee
9 open
10 @LSU
11 Mississippi State
12 Citadel
13 Auburn

That's SEVEN (not eight) home games.

Here's Auburn:
1 Washington @Atlanta
2 Alabama State
3 LSU
4 Arkansas
5 Southern Miss
6 @Mississippi State
7 Tennessee
8 @Ole Miss
9 open
10 Texas A&M
11 @Georgia
12 Liberty
13 @Alabama

Well looky there, SEVEN home games again.

I would continue this for the other teams you mentioned, but I think you see where that is going.

gtsucks

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem for both the mutts and for us, if they were to drop us, is who will either team play on Thanksgiving weekend. I think Tech could probably do ok in getting a game for that week, but the mutts, who already have their "atrocious" OOC schedule, wouldn't be able to find any quality team to play that weekend, because all of them are already involved in season-ending rivalries.

How exactly would it be any easier for us? Like you said, most teams already have a season-ending rivalries.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow

Look again. gtsucks is right in that Bama, Auburn and LSU all play 7 home games, 1 neutral site game, and 4 road conference games. Due to the UF/uga game in Jacksonville every year, UF has their schedule set up for 7 home games every year. In 2018, they will have 4 home SEC games, 3 OOC home games with FSU on the road. In 2019, they get 3 SEC home games, uga in Jacksonville, and all 4 OOC games including FSU at home.

The common thread here, though, is that a lot of SEC teams only go on the road for conference games, rivalry games, or neutral site games; they don't/won't sign home & away deals anymore.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
GT could end the season playing Duke as their final ACC game.