Dave Patenaude's Offense

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Considering they also completely overhauled everything they had been taught dude...
  • Having the worst OL in college football
  • Starting QBs with no P5 offers, with the eventual primary QB being a freshman
  • Having just 1 TE with any college experience
  • One of your top WRs missing almost the entire season
Just one of those factors by itself would lead to some pretty abysmal offensive performances for just about every team in the country. Combine them all together and you’d be hard pressed to find a team that can field an offense outside the bottom 1/4 of the nation. Add them all together with the fact that the entire fundamental base of the offense changed in the off season, and you’ve got yourself a recipe for a disastrous offense. It’s really not hard to understand why last year’s offense was so bad. Anybody that can look at the situation objectively can see it.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Tell me more about your experience in converting offensive linemen from one offense to another and why it’s an impossible task.
You’re trying to disprove factual data.

You realize guys like Quinney never kick slide a day in his life prior to CGC arrival

You do realize we William Lay and Southers who was a backup at Vandy

I tried to convince myself we would at least be good run blockers until i realized, “Oh ****, we have have to hold blocks now instead cutting and blocking in spurts”

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You’re trying to disprove factual data.

You realize guys like Quinney never kick slide a day in his life prior to CGC arrival

You do realize we William Lay and Southers who was a backup at Vandy

I tried to convince myself we would at least be good run blockers until i realized, “Oh ****, we have have to hold blocks now instead cutting and blocking in spurts”
Ok, in your expert opinion how long does it take to teach guys new things? When Nebraska transitioned why didn’t they just immediately become a team that struggled to even get first downs?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
The OL had numerous injuries last year. We were starting walk ons by the end of the season. Much like the 2015 season was derailed by injuries (3-9), our OL in 2019 was derailed by injuries as well. Except for the really elite programs, very few teams can play effectively if they have numerous injuries in one specific group. I also do think a run oriented offense is looking for quicker, smaller OL versus an offense which is more balanced and needs more beef (size) in the OL to be successful. Regardless of what you think about Collins, it was going to be a big transition for anyone to move from a 3O to any other style of offense. To be honest, my bigger concern for the team is defense which is where Collins experience lies. I am not seeing a lot of progress in that area yet. But I am proud of the game overall (I was there) and I think the team showed a lot of moxy coming back from a 14 point deficit and playing a very strong 4th quarter.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
How long what takes? OL? Hell, we’re teetering on being good now
So again I will ask, why were Mason and Braun able to transition in a short period of time after playing in an option offense? Why was Nebraska able to improve their offense in the first year that they transitioned from an option offense?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So again I will ask, why were Mason and Braun able to transition in a short period of time after playing in an option offense? Why was Nebraska able to improve their offense in the first year that they transitioned from an option offense?

Again, i and others ask why you choosing 2 players out of 55-60 OL that played here under this system & one team? Why did GaSo struggle after leaving the option?

Braun may have started but he definitely didn’t transition well as he was subbed out quite a bit UT

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Again, i and others ask why you choosing 2 players out of 55-60 that played here under this system & one team. Why did GaSo struggle after leaving the option?
Because those two players and that team completely disprove the notion that it is impossible for an OL to transition to a new offense in a short period of time.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Stop being dense dude. Mason had NFL talent. Braun had NFL potential but had a pretty mediocre year at Texas. Besides, those are individual players making adjustments to a scheme that has already been established for years. It’s not an entire positional unit having to adjust their fundamental base, with limited talent to work with in the first place.

Nebraska and GT’s transitions are not even close to comparable either. Nebraska was one of the best teams in the country at the time. They were coming off of a 4 year stretch where they won 10+ games 3 times, finished in the top 10 twice, and their record was 38-14. Tech was coming off of a 4 year stretch with 2 losing seasons, zero ranked finishes, and a 24-25 record. There’s literally no comparison. And just for the record, Nebraska went 5-6 in their first year of the transition. Tell us more about you you would’ve been able to rejuvenate the offense into a national title contender with every factor that has already been mentioned in place.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Because those two players and that team completely disprove the notion that it is impossible for an OL to transition to a new offense in a short period of time.

No one said it was impossible but you’re expecting 5 different OL who have been taught the same habits and drills to be able to transition seamless is ludicrous!

You want to know why we are a good OL this year? Bc 4 of those 5 guys have experience in spread offense and a knowledge base of pass pro (Defoor experience at Ole Miss) and the 5th has gained 50lbs and has full yr in the program to gain knowledge.

To answer your question, it took 1 yr and 2020 may be a blessing in disguise bc we could get this entire OL back next yr due to this yr not counting (think Defoor may test the NFL waters)

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
And you are so biased, you give no credence to the injuries which really hurt the OL last year. It was a great excuse for PJ in 2015 but Collins doesn't get the same benefit. PJ had a nice run overall but he has left. If you can't give off of your love affair for him, drop off the board for people who care about GT and want the best for what we can do moving forward.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Stop being dense dude. Mason had NFL talent. Braun had NFL potential but had a pretty mediocre year at Texas. Besides, those are individual players making adjustments to a scheme that has already been established for years. It’s not an entire positional unit having to adjust their fundamental base, with limited talent to work with in the first place.

Nebraska and GT’s transitions are not even close to comparable either. Nebraska was one of the best teams in the country at the time. They were coming off of a 4 year stretch where they won 10+ games 3 times, finished in the top 10 twice, and their record was 38-14. Tech was coming off of a 4 year stretch with 2 losing seasons, zero ranked finishes, and a 24-25 record. There’s literally no comparison. And just for the record, Nebraska went 5-6 in their first year of the transition. Tell us more about you you would’ve been able to rejuvenate the offense into a national title contender with every factor that has already been mentioned in place.
Stop being an idiot. The argument is about how long it takes to teach new techniques to offensive linemen. Your stump speech about how awful we used to be is irrelevant. Plenty of offensive linemen have made the transition in a short period of time. Ours needed well over a year for some reason.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
And you are so biased, you give no credence to the injuries which really hurt the OL last year. It was a great excuse for PJ in 2015 but Collins doesn't get the same benefit. PJ had a nice run overall but he has left. If you can't give off of your love affair for him, drop off the board for people who care about GT and want the best for what we can do moving forward.
Thanks, but I think I’ll stay and criticize coaches when they deserve it. If that hurts your feelings then drop off the board and go find a safe space.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Stop being an idiot. The argument is about how long it takes to teach new techniques to offensive linemen. Your stump speech about how awful we used to be is irrelevant. Plenty of offensive linemen have made the transition in a short period of time. Ours needed well over a year for some reason.
Lol, yeah I’m the idiot here.

Anyway, while you try to figure out why the square peg won’t fit in the round hole, I’m gonna enjoy my Sunday. Hopefully you can too with the knowledge that CGC and CDP’s offense accomplished something last night in less than 2.5 years that CPJ only did twice in 11.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

What is more likely? That Brent Key was good enough to coach Nick Saban's O-line but not ours? Or that the transition was more difficult than you think? Also, maybe cut out the name calling. I think you need to sit a few plays out.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Lol, yeah I’m the idiot here.

Anyway, while you try to figure out why the square peg won’t fit in the round hole, I’m gonna enjoy my Sunday. Hopefully you can too with the knowledge that CGC and CDP’s offense accomplished something last night in less than 2.5 years that CPJ only did twice in 11.
I think we are all excited that Coach Pat had his first good game as a play caller at the P5 level and hope he has more.