Dave Patenaude's Offense

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
For someone who doesn't claim denigration, you certainly miss no opportunities to point out every perceived flaw he had. My greater point still stands. I was initially opposed to CPJs hiring. I was initially not a fan of CGC, as I wanted Tony Elliott. Either way, I support any GT coach past or present with one exception. That includes Chan. Blaming every perceived slight against CGC as an organized attack from CPJ fanboys isn't helping. Heck, half the people pitching a fit about CDP were guys who were/are big on CGC, and half those defending him, like myself, were CPJ fans.
I wanted Elliot as well if you go back and look at my post. Elliot was a better fit in terms of what Tech was at the time but Collins is trying to remodel Tech top to bottom as a SEC Type program. I’m not necessarily quick to point out CPJs flaws I just like reminding people it wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows. Paul gets a lot of passes for beating GA, that game holding so much weight is one of the worst parts of our fan base.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wanted Elliot as well if you go back and look at my post. Elliot was a better fit in terms of what Tech was at the time but Collins is trying to remodel Tech top to bottom as a SEC Type program. I’m not necessarily quick to point out CPJs flaws I just like reminding people it wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows. Paul gets a lot of passes for beating GA, that game holding so much weight is one of the worst parts of our fan base.
There's nothing wrong with you that 10 years won't fix.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, 4 seasons without a winning record. Which is almost the same thing as 4 losing seasons but I guess it makes it better. Temple and DP averaged 34 a game in 2018, the Spread Option mastermind averaged 33 in the same year. @WreckinGT You ever think that maybe part of the reason we were Historically bad on offense is because we were Historically bad at recruiting? Last years seniors were the 60th ranked recruiting class, and what makes it worse is half of the class wasn’t even on the team.
Everyone expected the offense to take a significant step back this season. Not everyone expected us to be possibly the worst offense in the power 5 and close to the worst in all of college football. It is possible to take a bad hand and make it significantly worse which is what many of us believe happened.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You didn't see. I didn't move goal posts. I was harrassed on this site for predicting 4 wins. I am not sure why people are having a hard time accepting that a losing season was darn near inevitable last year.
Hell I thought we would have won 6 maybe 7 last year after the Citadel game I thought I was a dumb a**

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That’s pretty apparent otherwise maybe we wouldn’t have to have run off all our FG kickers. The goal posts were clearly not anywhere near where we were kicking the ball.

17zt2s.jpg

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You didn't see. I didn't move goal posts. I was harrassed on this site for predicting 4 wins. I am not sure why people are having a hard time accepting that a losing season was darn near inevitable last year.
OK, OK. I was picking at you, as in moving physical goalposts. For all I know you were the guy who moved the goalposts eight inches toward Buttker on that 53.5 yard field goal kick.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I agree that the OC play calling, for whatever reason, is not as annoying as last year and at times is downright good. I am still unhappy with the really good chances to move the sticks and we don't (such as the 2nd and 4, the second and 3, and the second and 1 which we did not convert and the drives ended. The call on the reverse pass by Brown was an outstanding play call as were the couple of QB draws...
Is it the offensive play calling that’s less annoying? Or is it the offense’s ability to execute the plays that are being called that’s less annoying?

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it the offensive play calling that’s less annoying? Or is it the offense’s ability to execute the plays that are being called that’s less annoying?
I know there was a lot of criticism of the play calling last year, but CDP was severely limited by the talent and ability to execute the plays. Last year all we really had was Mason breaking tackles and hoping Brown gets behind the defense. We really couldn’t execute short to intermediate throws, didn’t consistently correctly read RPO plays, and we struggled run blocking as well. When there’s poor execution it makes it easy to criticize plays. I can’t imagine how hard it was to call a game last year particularly at the start of the season.

I think we are just now seeing the offensive identity now that the team has improved along the Oline with a more talented QB (obviously a talent like Gibbs is nice as well).

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I know there was a lot of criticism of the play calling last year, but CDP was severely limited by the talent and ability to execute the plays. Last year all we really had was Mason breaking tackles and hoping Brown gets behind the defense. We really couldn’t execute short to intermediate throws, didn’t consistently correctly read RPO plays, and we struggled run blocking as well. When there’s poor execution it makes it easy to criticize plays. I can’t imagine how hard it was to call a game last year particularly at the start of the season.

I think we are just now seeing the offensive identity now that the team has improved along the Oline with a more talented QB (obviously a talent like Gibbs is nice as well).
We had enough talent last year to not be one of the worst offenses in college football. He did a crap job with what he had. People can improve though. Hopefully yesterday’s game is a sign of things to come.

LibertyTurns

Banned
People are putting a lot of emphasis on the players but it was a combination of 4 things. Yes, there were talent issues. However, our overall offensive strategy, pre & in-coaching and game management were poor. I say that because he kept yammering about running RPO. Watch the game tape, we almost never ran it although some plays it looked like some guys might have been running different plays. We ran RPO less than 10% of the time. We lacked sideline discipline. Way too much dancing, etc for a team that lacked mastery of the basics. Annoying on multiple levels. We also struggled getting plays in. When you shorten the time clock you put the team under pressure. We were not ready for any more adversity, but we got it anyway. Lastly, we were bound and determined to run plays our team could not execute. I understand trying to put distance between the previous regime & this one but let the results speak for themselves. We should have run a transitional offense with way more running like this year, but pride got in the way. Run to open up the throwing would have been way more successful & the OL’s transition to pass blocking would not have been so inept.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We had enough talent last year to not be one of the worst offenses in college football. He did a crap job with what he had. People can improve though. Hopefully yesterday’s game is a sign of things to come.
Sorry, but I disagree. We did not have a P5 QB last year. We may have had talent at some spots, ie. Mason, Brown, Lee, and Swilling, but if you don’t have a QB you aren’t a real team. We are seeing that in many positions again this year. Are #1, #2, and #6 on defense really P5 talent? Seriously now. I’m a GT guy but take off the gold colored glasses. Our talent level last year was low and the whole country saw it. Other teams have talented players as well. Everyone was freaking out about the Citadel loss. You know what? They had better QB’s and a system built to exploit our weakness. Coaches do not win or lose win games, players do. We saw that under Paul Johnson. I love that offensive system. But Johnson was lauded as some sort of savant which he wasn’t. When he had a legit QB, he won. When he didn’t GT was middle of the pack. Under Collins or any coach it’s the exact same other than the factories. Factories can simply out talent you across the other 21 starting positions like UGA is doing this year. Clemson has it all which is why they’ll probably walk away with another Natty. Patenaude is no different than he was last year. He just has a real QB, a better OLine, and better RB’s.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I 100% disagree arguably the worst line in the power 5 and 0 qbs with P5 offers at the position.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I 100% disagree arguably the worst line in the power 5 and 0 qbs with P5 offers at the position.
That a good recipe for a bad offense. Not a catastrophically bad offense that might be one of the worst in the history of the program.