Dave Patenaude's Offense

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the players weren’t the misfits? Guess we’ll see this year.

serious? Lol. Even there the only qbs deemed to fit this system are true freshman. Yates was honorable. He probably will be gone soon

give it time. Other positions are making faster progress than others. But in totality its going to take more than one TRUE recruiting class. Or 1.5 classes so to speak. Its silly to see what we had in a more common system

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Michael Jackson would be proud of this moonwalk.

Define success? I’m pretty sure his offense got CCU the FCS title gm
CCU never played in the FCS title game but he did have some top 20 offenses there if that matters to you. It didn't matter much to any FBS schools because no one tried to get him until Collins grabbed him after the 2016 season. He has now coached three seasons at the FBS level and has averaged finishing 89th in offense. How would I define success? Here is an example. Patenaude and Geoff Collins coached together in 1996 at Fordham. Since then Collins has been with 7 major programs, been nominated for multiple awards as a coordinator, led top ranked defenses at top schools, and became a head coach at a major program. That is success. Having a couple of decent offenses at the FCS level and not being offered a job anywhere significant for 25 years is not success.

LibertyTurns

Banned
serious? Lol. Even there the only qbs deemed to fit this system are true freshman. Yates was honorable. He probably will be gone soon

give it time. Other positions are making faster progress than others. But in totality its going to take more than one TRUE recruiting class. Or 1.5 classes so to speak
I’m critical of the play calling this year because the overall strategy for managing the year given the personnel was poor. We had one of the best running teams in the nation departing 2018. We couldn’t compete with top tier defenses, but were competitive with everyone else. We advertised we were going to switch over and run a Pro Style offense, then when it was massively flailing said we couldn’t because we were missing too many pieces then started running whatever. Well if it was me, I’d have run the ball first then incrementally transitioned to an RPO style as we got the reps in & got more comfortable with the scheme. What we appeared to try to run was some sort of hodgepodge of differing styles with a handful of trickery threaded in. I’m not sure how that even made sense given the roster. I didn’t chart the entire year, but watching replays occasionally I’d be surprised if we ran more than 35 RPO plays the entire year.

The highlight of the season was when we ran Mason enough, I think it was 80+ yds/game, we won. Graham showed a propensity to throw long passes albeit low success rate and found a great target in Brown. We got off to an awkward start because Graham was struggling academically & I’m guessing we throttled his reps pre-season out of fear of him getting kicked out of school. If not for that, perhaps the playbook wouldn’t have been so spastic.

There was room to do better with what we had. Just my opinion, but we seemed to be more interested in making a break from the past than scheming to win games. It was almost as if we treated most of the season as a big scrimmage & had written the season off before it even started.

I’m over last year and will chock it up to a rookie staff getting their feet under them, but this year I expect to see signs of life. We should be able to muster a top 75 offense. I expect to see some sign of an offensive identity. The offensive line should all be running the same play and be on the same page, damn near every play. We need to decide on a starting QB and give that guy time to either succeed or fail, not yank him every 3rd play. If he doesn’t work out, go to option 2 but give that guy a chance. The ultimate back up for next year needs some reps. We need to lean on Mason & let him carry the offense until the rest of the offense starts to gel and we can open up the playbook.

I hope it all works out so questions regarding the OC disappear. I hope CGC doesn’t fail to achieve greatness like someone else we all know & love by hanging on to a critical assistant of questionable capability. I upgraded my season tickets and will buy them until I croak. God willing CGC leads us back to great seasons and a lot of excitement on The Flats. GT is my only team & we only got 1 football coach so I’ll be there every week rooting for him to succeed.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m critical of the play calling this year because the overall strategy for managing the year given the personnel was poor. We had one of the best running teams in the nation departing 2018. We couldn’t compete with top tier defenses, but were competitive with everyone else. We advertised we were going to switch over and run a Pro Style offense, then when it was massively flailing said we couldn’t because we were missing too many pieces then started running whatever. Well if it was me, I’d have run the ball first then incrementally transitioned to an RPO style as we got the reps in & got more comfortable with the scheme. What we appeared to try to run was some sort of hodgepodge of differing styles with a handful of trickery threaded in. I’m not sure how that even made sense given the roster. I didn’t chart the entire year, but watching replays occasionally I’d be surprised if we ran more than 35 RPO plays the entire year.

The highlight of the season was when we ran Mason enough, I think it was 80+ yds/game, we won. Graham showed a propensity to throw long passes albeit low success rate and found a great target in Brown. We got off to an awkward start because Graham was struggling academically & I’m guessing we throttled his reps pre-season out of fear of him getting kicked out of school. If not for that, perhaps the playbook wouldn’t have been so spastic.

There was room to do better with what we had. Just my opinion, but we seemed to be more interested in making a break from the past than scheming to win games. It was almost as if we treated most of the season as a big scrimmage & had written the season off before it even started.

I’m over last year and will chock it up to a rookie staff getting their feet under them, but this year I expect to see signs of life. We should be able to muster a top 75 offense. I expect to see some sign of an offensive identity. The offensive line should all be running the same play and be on the same page, damn near every play. We need to decide on a starting QB and give that guy time to either succeed or fail, not yank him every 3rd play. If he doesn’t work out, go to option 2 but give that guy a chance. The ultimate back up for next year needs some reps. We need to lean on Mason & let him carry the offense until the rest of the offense starts to gel and we can open up the playbook.

I hope it all works out so questions regarding the OC disappear. I hope CGC doesn’t fail to achieve greatness like someone else we all know & love by hanging on to a critical assistant of questionable capability. I upgraded my season tickets and will buy them until I croak. God willing CGC leads us back to great seasons and a lot of excitement on The Flats. GT is my only team & we only got 1 football coach so I’ll be there every week rooting for him to succeed.

cant read your whole post. I am now illiterate.

but. I will say this. Last year we were more worried about us, our philosophy, system and habits than winning games. Ok.

for those that are 80 and only have a couple more years left. Sorry. Ok sorry.

but. Wins and losses nor maximizing wins was #1 in the most transitional effort in p5 football since maybe nebraska. Because if we were to try to maximize wins, then we would do schemes that are against some of building philosophy we want.

on a personal level i cant figure out why some dont get that. We decided to have a clean break. Vs some half baked transition offense that ran a ton of “something” we knew would work with the personnel we had so we can eak out 1 more win. Maybe 2 at most.

for me. Thats a f-in hard decision for collins to make. And he did. Because first impressions matter. Yet he did that. Kudos. It will and hopefully should pay off

CousCous

Georgia Tech Fan
This thread, like so many others, has turned into pure comedic genius.
<sarcasm > I didn’t realize that CGC’s mobile must have exploded after the announcement that he was taking the Tech job. Countless offensive juggernauts with years of P5 coordinator experience and shelves full of accolades must have been clamoring to get in his ear and to get their resume in his hand ... ok ... maybe not the experienced P5 guys, but certainly all the young up and coming energetic G5 coordinators were calling. Yeah. Those guys whose careers are on fire. They are enjoying a steady upward trajectory and the next logical step is to let your first P5 opportunity be following the virtual perfector of the 3O and use mostly his 3O personnel to run your offense which is not the 3O. CDP must have blackmailed CGC to even get this job to begin with. </sarcasm>

Our staff seems to be made up of coaches with a deep connection to the institute or a connection to CGC. I respect that CDP accepted the challenges of re-establishing the OC on the flats. Whether he proves to be capable or not, he has shown the most important characteristic we needed in these first few years - willingness.

I believe a position on this staff can become coveted for all the same reasons we are touting to recruits, but I don’t think that was the case in late 2018.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This thread, like so many others, has turned into pure comedic genius.
<sarcasm > I didn’t realize that CGC’s mobile must have exploded after the announcement that he was taking the Tech job. Countless offensive juggernauts with years of P5 coordinator experience and shelves full of accolades must have been clamoring to get in his ear and to get their resume in his hand ... ok ... maybe not the experienced P5 guys, but certainly all the young up and coming energetic G5 coordinators were calling. Yeah. Those guys whose careers are on fire. They are enjoying a steady upward trajectory and the next logical step is to let your first P5 opportunity be following the virtual perfector of the 3O and use mostly his 3O personnel to run your offense which is not the 3O. CDP must have blackmailed CGC to even get this job to begin with. </sarcasm>

Our staff seems to be made up of coaches with a deep connection to the institute or a connection to CGC. I respect that CDP accepted the challenges of re-establishing the OC on the flats. Whether he proves to be capable or not, he has shown the most important characteristic we needed in these first few years - willingness.

I believe a position on this staff can become coveted for all the same reasons we are touting to recruits, but I don’t think that was the case in late 2018.

This, this, this.

It has always seemed obvious to me that Coach Pat is a transitional guy here unless he unexpectedly sets the world on fire. He is being paid position coach money to do it, too, saving us some cash for the next OC hire when we have the players we need.

How did this thread turn into another OC debate, anyway?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This, this, this.

It has always seemed obvious to me that Coach Pat is a transitional guy here unless he unexpectedly sets the world on fire. He is being paid position coach money to do it, too, saving us some cash for the next OC hire when we have the players we need.

How did this thread turn into another OC debate, anyway?
Almost all the hiring was about recruiting.
Agree it's obvious the is transitional and as mentioned above because no rising star oc will work for peanuts and we are broke. As to savings enough salary money now to get a slightly better oc in future, I hope u are wrong. IMO this oc cant promptly show excellent in game play calling and adjustments, he should be replaced with name brand and expensive oc. This will still be about recruiting wins and losses. To win big in coastal and show out nationally we have to oczssionally attract day one starters at wr and dt. These will be the difference makers as se build a sustainable upper level program. It's up or out w the oc

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Seems this particular thread has gone towards trying to compare the current OC with Johnson. Navy at the time was seen about like what would be considered a p5 school in scheduling, they often played a p5 school in bowls. And Johnsons's success at turning navy around is why he was offered the job at tech in the first place as GT was seen as closer to a service academy by DRAD than a traditional school. It is very true that the current OC went his entire career without any p5 experience. It is also true that by current conference alignments so did Johnson, but you have to look at the entire picture when comparing careers.
I mean why do we have to even go there? Why don’t the people who can’t stop thinking about CPJ go start a new forum and circle-jerk to his legacy there instead of ruining every thread here?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I mean why do we have to even go there? Why don’t the people who can’t stop thinking about CPJ go start a new forum and circle-jerk to his legacy there instead of ruining every thread here?

No one thinking of CPJ. It’s just funny that @WreckinGT made a slight at the OC that so happens, our previous head coach met the criteria of also

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So now we must look at the entire picture? That’s exactly what was not happening in this thread. Let’s judge an OC with no OL and misfit pieces

My issue last season was never with scheme at its core but our inability to consistently do anything well and the seeming changing plays every week. We ran single back sets from under center against miami... had success then the very next game against similiar defensive looks it was no where to be seen. I am expecting it to be better this year. If we had lined up in the I last year. with howard in front of mason and played smash mouth football with a play action passing scheme and enough gun passing (I trips sets with AB as flanker as well) We'd have still looked like we were running a prostyle offense the snap would have still been undercenter so it would have lessened that blow there. We might not have had much more success, but we would have less been trying to square peg round hole it and still be teaching concepts that they can use post transition. Johnson still left components of the offense gailey ran in in 08. We had a delay draw play that was basically a normal singleback freeze draw. We also had a power I set and a weak I set. Route concepts were less reliant on option routes as well and he woudl stick slot receivers as split a-backs on passing downs relying often on flood concepts. Obviously the core of his offense was still the option and as the year went on it was completely shifting to that execpt that freeze draw... man i wish we kept that play in.

Paternaude just seemed out of place. It never seemed like we had a core identity to build from for much of the year. EVEN when that identity is being poorly executed you can tell when there is a plan. I am not sure I even remember a single pass all year to a receiver that was actually schemed open. AB usually just burnt his guy.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
My issue last season was never with scheme at its core but our inability to consistently do anything well and the seeming changing plays every week. We ran single back sets from under center against miami... had success then the very next game against similiar defensive looks it was no where to be seen. I am expecting it to be better this year. If we had lined up in the I last year. with howard in front of mason and played smash mouth football with a play action passing scheme and enough gun passing (I trips sets with AB as flanker as well) We'd have still looked like we were running a prostyle offense the snap would have still been undercenter so it would have lessened that blow there. We might not have had much more success, but we would have less been trying to square peg round hole it and still be teaching concepts that they can use post transition. Johnson still left components of the offense gailey ran in in 08. We had a delay draw play that was basically a normal singleback freeze draw. We also had a power I set and a weak I set. Route concepts were less reliant on option routes as well and he woudl stick slot receivers as split a-backs on passing downs relying often on flood concepts. Obviously the core of his offense was still the option and as the year went on it was completely shifting to that execpt that freeze draw... man i wish we kept that play in.

Paternaude just seemed out of place. It never seemed like we had a core identity to build from for much of the year. EVEN when that identity is being poorly executed you can tell when there is a plan. I am not sure I even remember a single pass all year to a receiver that was actually schemed open. AB usually just burnt his guy.

His interview today answers all of this

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
The same Paul Johnson that didn’t stay an OC and had a gradual progression upward for his entire career? No, not like that at all. If it takes you 26 years to snag a coordinator position at an FBS school, it’s pretty fair to ask why. It’s also fair to ask why he hasn’t had any success since moving up to this level. I would probably go easier on him if we had an offensive minded head coach. We don’t. It’s all on him and he doesn’t have a track record that would lead anyone to believe he will be successful.
no point with him and his agenda.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nowhere near enough to judge him on.

That is a totally useless standard.
I think it is too soon to judge him, but given that there are five conferences considered to be the toughest in the land, I think it provides a reasonable basis for judgment. Just as I would think going from HS coach to college coach would be a basis. There is a difference in size, speed, athleticism and sheer skill. It's why baseball goes from A to AAA to ML. So it is hardly a useless evaluation, though it may be incomplete.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

give it time. Other positions are making faster progress than others. But in totality its going to take more than one TRUE recruiting class. Or 1.5 classes so to speak. Its silly to see what we had in a more common system
How many classes will it take then? Are you really blaming all of last year's woes on your belief of poor recruiting previously? None of past years issues had to do with losing many on both lines in the 2 deep to injury? You're telling me playing walk on on Los had nothing to do with it?

The cupboard is not as bare as some want to believe. We were frankly unlucky with injuries this year, transitioning to two new systems, and everything could be better. Quit getting so excited about the prospect of current players leaving so cgc recruits can come in. If the players were healthy last year, there was enough there to field a decent team. Many predicted 6 to 8 wins before the start of the season and I think 6 would definitely have been possible without a healthy team once a few games were played I'm the new systems.

I expect results to be much much better this year if everyone can stay healthy, not because we have 1.5 recruiting cycle in. And don't you think you're being premature with Yates as well?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
How many classes will it take then? Are you really blaming all of last year's woes on your belief of poor recruiting previously? None of past years issues had to do with losing many on both lines in the 2 deep to injury? You're telling me playing walk on on Los had nothing to do with it?

The cupboard is not as bare as some want to believe. We were frankly unlucky with injuries this year, transitioning to two new systems, and everything could be better. Quit getting so excited about the prospect of current players leaving so cgc recruits can come in. If the players were healthy last year, there was enough there to field a decent team. Many predicted 6 to 8 wins before the start of the season and I think 6 would definitely have been possible without a healthy team once a few games were played I'm the new systems.

I expect results to be much much better this year if everyone can stay healthy, not because we have 1.5 recruiting cycle in. And don't you think you're being premature with Yates as well?
By many you mean fans right? No one who works in the business predicted 6-8 wins.