Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I hate all of you

Comforting 30 Rock GIF

Encouraging Everything Will Be Ok GIF by LookHUMAN

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Will probably continue later, but the first few minutes of this interview is rough with Goodman more enamored with hearing himself talk than trying to actually interview Stoudamire.

@Peacone36 GTSwarm expects better from you when you start interviewing coaches and players.
Thank you! I was like, shutup dude we wanna hear the guest!

Once you pass the first bit, he does allow the guest to, ya know, actually speak. CDS actually had quite a few long answers so hang in there, techst.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Will probably continue later, but the first few minutes of this interview is rough with Goodman more enamored with hearing himself talk than trying to actually interview Stoudamire.

@Peacone36 GTSwarm expects better from you when you start interviewing coaches and players.

He's obnoxious. I genuinely tried to enjoy it from a DS perspective but man it was tough.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Ha, those days are long behind me unfortunately. I much prefer doing a few guest spots each year as opposed to producing a weekly show.

It was great though, met a ton of awesome people and found out the truth behind some others

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here's a link to some easy listenin'. An interview with fan favorite, Jon Rothstein, speaking to your yellow jackets head coach....

https://www.si.com/college/georgiat...s-in-his-roster-ahead-of-the-2023-2024-season

That's a very interesting interview. A few thoughts:

CDS is not comfortable with public speaking and his nervousness shows. This is the second long interview he has done since being named as GT coach (Goodman was the 1st) and he struggled in both. Some people never get comfortable doing these interviews on camera or via Zoom/Skype. He gets his points across, but it's a struggle. I would not be surprised if he has a mild speech impediment. It says nothing about his coaching creds.

He talks about Abram and Reeves a bit. He clearly likes both and added, about Reeves, that he is working on his 3-point shooting. He loves his energy.

He wants to play fast and acknowledges that guard play is critical to success in his offense. If you can't hear "four out offense" while listening to him, you aren't listening.

He said he is looking for length and athleticism and energy in recruits. You can look at the guys he has brought in so far and all fit that description. He wants to play fast and is recruiting for that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

CDS is not comfortable with public speaking and his nervousness shows. This is the second long interview he has done since being named as GT coach (Goodman was the 1st) and he struggled in both. Some people never get comfortable doing these interviews on camera or via Zoom/Skype. He gets his points across, but it's a struggle. I would not be surprised if he has a mild speech impediment. It says nothing about his coaching creds.

He talks about Abram and Reeves a bit. He clearly likes both and added, about Reeves, that he is working on his 3-point shooting. He loves his energy.

He wants to play fast and acknowledges that guard play is critical to success in his offense. If you can't hear "four out offense" while listening to him, you aren't listening.

He said he is looking for length and athleticism and energy in recruits. You can look at the guys he has brought in so far and all fit that description. He wants to play fast and is recruiting for that.

We just had a football coach who sounded great with the media but couldn't coach his way out of a paperbag. If Stoudamire struggles with these kind of interviews, but coaches us to NCAATs, I take that trade off any day all day. Wins speak louder than great media sound bites.

slugboy

Staff member

On the videos where he is coaching players, he seems to have no impediment at all—he’s at ease. And he’s had to deal with reporters forever. Press conferences just aren’t his thing, I guess

We just had a football coach who sounded great with the media but couldn't coach his way out of a paperbag. If Stoudamire struggles with these kind of interviews, but coaches us to NCAATs, I take that trade off any day all day. Wins speak louder than great media sound bites.

Well, Collins sounded enthusiastic, but reporters didn’t like him and our fans generally hated his press conferences. The coordinators had better pressers.

I’ll agree on substance over style, and I have hope there

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow

I listened to the interview a few days ago and got a different impression. And I have heard at least three if not more interviews of CDS so I disagree with your assertion. I liked the interview because for the first time he talked less about himself and more about the team. I think his interview style is more studied and thoughtful rather than uncomfortable. I am not criticizing hime for talking about himself because, as he says, he has to keep himself out there to publicize GT.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Eh, it seemed more like he wasn't comfortable talking to Rothstein who comes across really weird to me.

His speaking style isn't polished, which could be what you're picking up on. But, as others have said, we've had a couple coaches that were wizkids with the media and we see how that turned out.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck

I thought I read somewhere in coach's bio that he had a very bad speech impediment when he was younger....it may have been a stuttering issue. I believe it caused him to be very shy growing up. If I am wrong then please forgive me. but if true then he has worked hard to overcome it. And if true, I don't think his performance in interviews has anything to do with being nervous whether it be Jon Rothstein or anyone else.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I thought I read somewhere in coach's bio that he had a very bad speech impediment when he was younger....it may have been a stuttering issue. I believe it caused him to be very shy growing up. If I am wrong then please forgive me. but if true then he has worked hard to overcome it. And if true, I don't think his performance in interviews has anything to do with being nervous whether it be Jon Rothstein or anyone else.
I had not heard that about him. Having a speech impediment can create hesitancy or nervousness in public forums and that may be what we are seeing. In either case, he deserves nothing less than our respect.

In response to any earlier quote, I think Goodman and Rothstein both treated CDS with respect. I enjoyed listening to both and learned some good stuff about CDS and the 2023 team. I hope more is coming soon.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Eh, it seemed more like he wasn't comfortable talking to Rothstein who comes across really weird to me.

His speaking style isn't polished, which could be what you're picking up on. But, as others have said, we've had a couple coaches that were wizkids with the media and we see how that turned out.
He didn’t seem comfortable with Goodman before he ever spoke a word either. Fumbling with his chair for what seemed like forever. Or he could just think Jeff is a blowhard who tried to play up their friendship because they both went to Arizona.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He didn’t seem comfortable with Goodman before he ever spoke a word either. Fumbling with his chair for what seemed like forever. Or he could just think Jeff is a blowhard who tried to play up their friendship because they both went to Arizona.
I don't want my comment about CDS's discomfort to go off the rails. I had never heard him in an interview before the Goodman post, so it stood out to me. His job at GT will not depend on his ability (or inability) to overcome whatever issues he might have with public speaking.

I am excited to have him at GT.

slugboy

Staff member
At Portland, he had a stretch after he and Rasheed Wallace got caught with marijuana where reporters were out to get him. The fact that he didn’t fit well the way Portland played basketball and built their roster didn’t help. He brought some of it on himself, but I can understand him being on edge with reporters after that.