Damon Stoudamire

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Thank you. I just don’t understand why a Tech fan would want to piss all over a championship year. Had Covid protocols not taken out our hottest player at that time we could have made a deep run.
I’m not the only Tech fan that felt that way. You could make a case that we could have won that first round game, with Moses Wright. The same argument can be made that GT hasn’t faired well vs.Tony Bennett in his tenure. When was the last time we won three in a row in the ACC Tournament?

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not the only Tech fan that felt that way. You could make a case that we could have won that first round game, with Moses Wright. The same argument can be made that GT hasn’t faired well vs.Tony Bennett in his tenure. When was the last time we won three in a row in the ACC Tournament?
When was the last time we were 4th in the regular season?

You keep trying to make a case that you can't make. Just let it go. GT won the ACC that season, finishing with 8 straight wins. It is absolutely reasonable to think that team could have won one more. All of the teams played by the same rules.

If you want to bash Pastner for that season you can do that by making the easy case that yet again he didn't have the team prepared to start the season. That, at least, is true.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
When was the last time we were 4th in the regular season?

You keep trying to make a case that you can't make. Just let it go. GT won the ACC that season, finishing with 8 straight wins. It is absolutely reasonable to think that team could have won one more. All of the teams played by the same rules.

If you want to bash Pastner for that season you can do that by making the easy case that yet again he didn't have the team prepared to start the season. That, at least, is true.
You forgot the asterisk on us finishing fourth in the regular season—or more accurately, the asterisk on Vippy-Sue getting third place on the basis of SEVEN games cancelled due to COVID.

They played FOUR games between February 1 and March 7–we played TEN in the same time period. Talk about being gifted with a conference ranking that wasn’t deserved…

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Really interesting interview here. Stoudamire seems like a coach that isn't going to pull any punches...with the media or players. Some pretty pointed comments with how the team is shaping up right now. Good thing is season is still months away, and there's still a lot time to work on some issues.

slugboy

Staff member
Really interesting interview here. Stoudamire seems like a coach that isn't going to pull any punches...with the media or players. Some pretty pointed comments with how the team is shaping up right now. Good thing is season is still months away, and there's still a lot time to work on some issues.

Sounds like he’s got a big job in front of him, still

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

The AKC won't let me open the article while I am in Europe. Can someone give me the high points? Thanks.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The AKC won't let me open the article while I am in Europe. Can someone give me the high points? Thanks.

Biggest takeway is the team isn't gelling or "trusting" each other at the moment. IMO, that comes with court time and knowing teammates. Per usual with this many high level guys transferring in.

The other thing is this team isn't as "tough" as Stoudamire would like them to be. Players will not play unless Stoudamire deems them tough enough to play.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Biggest takeway is the team isn't gelling or "trusting" each other at the moment. IMO, that comes with court time and knowing teammates. Per usual with this many high level guys transferring in.

The other thing is this team isn't as "tough" as Stoudamire would like them to be. Players will not play unless Stoudamire deems them tough enough to play.
Thanks. I agree that it will take time to trust each other. That's partly why I think the starting five will be fluid for a while.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. I agree that it will take time to trust each other. That's partly why I think the starting five will be fluid for a while.

I expect the same, and expect some rough patches early. The great thing is our roster is a LOT more talented than last year's squad, and hopefully, the coaching will have improved with it.

I'm super excited about this coming season...and luckily, we have exciting changes to the football team to keep us occupied until then.

slugboy

Staff member
I expect the same, and expect some rough patches early. The great thing is our roster is a LOT more talented than last year's squad, and hopefully, the coaching will have improved with it.

I'm super excited about this coming season...and luckily, we have exciting changes to the football team to keep us occupied until then.
The “trust” comment gels with the lack of fluidity we saw over the past few years. I’m hopeful that Stoudamire can fix this before the season starts. I take the comment as a public quote, like telling all your friends you’re going to lose 50 pounds in the next six months—he not only says this in practice, but also in the press, so it’s clear to the players he means it.

Same with the physicality comment.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The “trust” comment gels with the lack of fluidity we saw over the past few years. I’m hopeful that Stoudamire can fix this before the season starts. I take the comment as a public quote, like telling all your friends you’re going to lose 50 pounds in the next six months—he not only says this in practice, but also in the press, so it’s clear to the players he means it.

Same with the physicality comment.
This is his NBA self speaking to young players. When I joined a college basketball team the summer I graduated high school I suddenly realized I was playing hoops with men. That's the first hint I had that the game is different at each level.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is his NBA self speaking to young players. When I joined a college basketball team the summer I graduated high school I suddenly realized I was playing hoops with men. That's the first hint I had that the game is different at each level.
Do you think he will need to readjust his expectations for college level play or do you think the flip side will hold, that his players will embrace learning NBA standards of play and appreciate his toughness?

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm curious about his description of building the staff. I see the "'older guy who had been a former head coach". I see the "couple guys that I felt deserved shots at the high-major level". But who are the "NBA guys to kind of balance it out for me"?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He will give minutes to the guys who adjust to the physical play he demands.
Addendum. This ain't going to be easy for some of our players and there could be guys we like who don't make the transition. That said, I bet he's had heart to heart talks with every player explaining what he expects. From a fan prospective this should be a very interesting season.

slugboy

Staff member
Addendum. This ain't going to be easy for some of our players and there could be guys we like who don't make the transition. That said, I bet he's had heart to heart talks with every player explaining what he expects. From a fan prospective this should be a very interesting season.
That might have been part of some players choosing the transfer portal in the off-season.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious about his description of building the staff. I see the "'older guy who had been a former head coach". I see the "couple guys that I felt deserved shots at the high-major level". But who are the "NBA guys to kind of balance it out for me"?
I had the same question, but then I haven’t taken the time to look and see who else other than his assistant coaches are on his staff.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Terrific interview. Lost of the same stuff Coach Key said last Winter.