Damon Stoudamire

slugboy

Staff member
Our fans aren't poor. More often, they choose to not supply resources, adamantly informing us of such, while also setting expectations higher than where that lack of resources would see results.
I don’t think he meant financially poor—more that Atlanta fans don’t fill the stadiums and don’t cheer the right way.

I’ve been in Boston many times. The radio call in show phone lines are packed after a game—I guess that’s good, but God knows what games they watched compared to the opinions they voice.

Tommyr20

Georgia Tech Fan
Remember paying* $100 a pop scalp wise for 2 UNC-GT lower levels before Tech UNC 1995ish, and some were going for more…

Win a little and big-time ACC Basketball in Atlanta back/will quickly get Tech students alums and Atlanta/north ga to middle ga etc back on the hoops bandwagon bringing energy and revenue and packed houses like mid 80s/90s. It’s doable.

ACC is wide open if they get a quick start watch out. Get on the wagon now.

Tommyr20

Georgia Tech Fan
Remember paying* $100 a pop scalp wise for 2 UNC-GT lower levels before Tech UNC 1995ish, and some were going for more…

Win a little and big-time ACC Basketball in Atlanta back/will quickly get Tech students alums and Atlanta/north ga to middle ga etc back on the hoops bandwagon bringing energy and revenue and packed houses like mid 80s/90s. It’s doable.

ACC is wide open if they get a quick start watch out. Get on the wagon now.

*watched Dad pay*/I was like 10-11

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

ACC is wide open if they everget a quick start the watch out. Get on the wagon now.
I doubt we will see the ACC or GT return to the Glory Days of the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Hopefully GT will become very good again but I believe expansion killed the Great Old ACC Basketball Conference.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I doubt we will see the ACC or GT return to the Glory Days of the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Hopefully GT will become very good again but I believe expansion killed the Great Old ACC Basketball Conference.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I did not take him to mean to classic point guards but two guards who can both push the ball, pass the ball or shoot the ball. I actually took it as more combo guards who were good at their craft. By what he was saying, I think Kelly would fit in terms of a guard. He want to be very aggressive.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Watching now...

Was just about to share this but I would've included a trigger warning for folks that don't like Goodman. Guy kept tryna talk about Boston.

Good conversation overall. Curious to hear him describe the post-Mazzulla hire phase for him there. Everybody knows he should've gotten that job. Ah well, sux for them.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was intrigued by Goodman's comments that GT became interested after Brad Stevens started making calls. CDS sort of avoided the point in his next comments but it makes sense that Blatt would pay attention to a call from Brad Stevens and look hard at an option that wasn't otherwise obvious to the outside.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I was intrigued by Goodman's comments that GT became interested after Brad Stevens started making calls. CDS sort of avoided the point in his next comments but it makes sense that Blatt would pay attention to a call from Brad Stevens and look hard at an option that wasn't otherwise obvious to the outside.

Wait, I took that to mean Stevens' call was impactful after the fact. As in, once GT started doing due diligence, Stevens was supportive of CDS in the call. Not that Stevens picked up the phone and put CDS on our radar. Am I hearing it wrong?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wait, I took that to mean Stevens' call was impactful after the fact. As in, once GT started doing due diligence, Stevens was supportive of CDS in the call. Not that Stevens picked up the phone and put CDS on our radar. Am I hearing it wrong?
Are you going to make me go back and listen to the whole thing again to parse this and see who is correct? Why can't you just roll with it. Makes a great story ;)

In some degree of seriousness, I took it that the calls were part of the reason we went this way more than just diligence though I could be wrong. One of the things that I have been very curious about was how we got to target CDS and this seemed to be the answer. But now you are taking that away from me. :cry:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Are you going to make me go back and listen to the whole thing again to parse this and see who is correct? Why can't you just roll with it. Makes a great story ;)

In some degree of seriousness, I took it that the calls were part of the reason we went this way more than just diligence though I could be wrong. One of the things that I have been very curious about was how we got to target CDS and this seemed to be the answer. But now you are taking that away from me. :cry:

Yesh, yesh. Listen again and take notes this time. Pay particular attention to Goodman's overdone 'of course I'm listening' faces.

I think we need a tie-breaker 'cause I feel pretty strongly the calls were after the fact. We just gotta wait for @Peacone36 or @dtm1997 er @Connell62 to sober up and let us know you're wrong which one of us is right. :sneaky:

Eta. I think he did indicate sorta how he got on our radar. (1) He was looking to leave BOS after getting passed over, so I'm sure (2) his agent was working the phones paying particular attention to which high major jobs could be opening and (3) the city of Atlanta was a draw since he'd lived here and his sons were close and (4) everybody knew the GT job should open up.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yesh, yesh. Listen again and take notes this time. Pay particular attention to Goodman's overdone 'of course I'm listening' faces.

I think we need a tie-breaker 'cause I feel pretty strongly the calls were after the fact. We just gotta wait for @Peacone36 or @dtm1997 er @Connell62 to sober up and let us know you're wrong which one of us is right. :sneaky:

Eta. I think he did indicate sorta how he got on our radar. (1) He was looking to leave BOS after getting passed over, so I'm sure (2) his agent was working the phones paying particular attention to which high major jobs could be opening and (3) the city of Atlanta was a draw since he'd lived here and his sons were close and (4) everybody knew the GT job should open up.
That makes perfect sense and clearly indicates the whole tone of on-going conversations / negotiations / vetting.

So, obviously, you are wrong.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
From what I've read behind a paywall, Batt got the idea from someone else in the college hoops ranks.

I can't keep up with whose right or wrong, but that Stevens did, in fact, pick up the phone several times and call to tell JB that CDS was the man before anyone else even thought about it.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

My take was that Stevens basically gave him an excellent reference once Batt reached out as part of his due diligence.

slugboy

Staff member
I hate all of you
We don’t have awards, but here’s my attempt

bill murray award GIF