Damon Stoudamire

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here is another CDS interview. None of the nervousness from the two recent ones with Goodman & Rothstein. We can guess all we want as to the reasons, but it could simply be that he was really comfortable with his insight at Boston. It was also about a single game that was just over.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't want my comment about CDS's discomfort to go off the rails. I had never heard him in an interview before the Goodman post, so it stood out to me. His job at GT will not depend on his ability (or inability) to overcome whatever issues he might have with public speaking.

I am excited to have him at GT.
I wasn’t piling on, rather providing a different POV of that particular interview.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
At Portland, he had a stretch after he and Rasheed Wallace got caught with marijuana where reporters were out to get him. The fact that he didn’t fit well the way Portland played basketball and built their roster didn’t help. He brought some of it on himself, but I can understand him being on edge with reporters after that.
I don’t remember much after he left Toronto. I know that when he was in Toronto and surrounded by nothing for a while he was on Sportscenter what seemed like daily.

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t remember much after he left Toronto. I know that when he was in Toronto and surrounded by nothing for a while he was on Sportscenter what seemed like daily.
At this point, I’m not worried about his discomfort in some pressers and interviews. If there’s something the AA can do to help him feel more at ease, that might be good. There are some interviews he’s had after taking this job where he is at ease, so it’s situational.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He didn’t seem comfortable with Goodman before he ever spoke a word either. Fumbling with his chair for what seemed like forever. Or he could just think Jeff is a blowhard who tried to play up their friendship because they both went to Arizona.

I hate that reporters now consider themselves 'stars' or 'famous' and have to play to their brand in interviews or make it more about themselves.

My comment has nothing to do with CDS, per se. But I find that aspect of these interviews off-putting.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hate that reporters now consider themselves 'stars' or 'famous' and have to play to their brand in interviews or make it more about themselves.

My comment has nothing to do with CDS, per se. But I find that aspect of these interviews off-putting.
Maybe it's Goodman and Rothstein being a PITA rather than CDS being nervous. Both of them (along with Gary Parrish) consider themselves to be worth the ticket price. Or more.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Maybe it's Goodman and Rothstein being a PITA rather than CDS being nervous. Both of them (along with Gary Parrish) consider themselves to be worth the ticket price. Or more.

That's what it was, imho, but I don't think it was "nerves". Maybe he just wasn't into them, so to speak. That's what I presumed.

But this is way too much psychoanalysis, emphasis on psycho. I can't wait for games, so we can fight each other about stuff that matters.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I love that we are in recruiting battles. Pastner snagged a couple top rated guys over his tenure but we’ve had lots of Top 150 guys already come through for official visits within the last few months. I was tired of projects (even though a couple panned out) and I’m ready to just start bringing in immediate contributor studs.

I love all the quotes from recruits who are stoked about us having a coach with NBA experience. It’s given us a serious edge.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Just here to say that I love our new coach and the direction he’s taken the roster and future I think he can bring to our program.

I don’t say things like this very often so I figured I vocalize it.

Feeling It Classic Car GIF by rockyrosemusic

Somebody loan that man a bullhorn

slugboy

Staff member

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I love that we are in recruiting battles. Pastner snagged a couple top rated guys over his tenure but we’ve had lots of Top 150 guys already come through for official visits within the last few months. I was tired of projects (even though a couple panned out) and I’m ready to just start bringing in immediate contributor studs.

I love all the quotes from recruits who are stoked about us having a coach with NBA experience. It’s given us a serious edge.
I really liked Pastner and wished he could have been successful, but the vibe around GT Basketball feels like the early Bobby Cremins years. Damon Stoudamire has me believing the program is really on the rise.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Pastner won the ACC Championship in 2021. Let us not forget that.
Let’s not forget the asterisk associated with only having to win two games. The UVA forfeit in the semi-finals was truly a gift from the Hoop Gods. The regular season and the subsequent first-round exit, showed our weaknesses.
Also, an N.I.T. run with CBG’s players and one other post-season tournament in 7 years, is nothing to get overly excited about.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let’s not forget the asterisk associated with only having to win two games. The UVA forfeit in the semi-finals was truly a gift from the Hoop Gods. The regular season and the subsequent first-round exit, showed our weaknesses.
Also, an N.I.T. run with CBG’s players and one other post-season tournament in 7 years, is nothing to get overly excited about.
I agree the excitement never happened with Pastner. I'm looking forward to regaining the Cremins buzz again.

But, Gregory couldn't win with those guys and Pastner did (at least at NIT level).

I don't think there's really any reason to degrade the championship. We beat the teams we faced and FSU was the best team in the ACC that year.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Gregory left one player who had played 50% of the team's minutes the prior year (and he barely cleared half.) This is such a silly take.

Pastner is no longer here because he couldn't consistently recruit. There is no reason to throw shade at the couple of things he did successfully.

Also, mentioning the UVA forfeit and leaving out that the ACC player of the year didn't play in the close loss in the NCAAT is a clearly biased position.