Custis, Hunt-Days not eligible for ’14 football season

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Lets look at this logically. In the past 4 months.

Akins gone. Academics again rumor
Robbins gone. academics thats the rumor
Days gone. Academics
Custis gone. Academics

This is 4 more players from being the same as flunkgate.

Griffin gone. Incharge of academic oversight

Ummmm. You think there is a link? This is exactly the same as flunkgate. The head coach put faith in his new staff and it backfired.

It is what it is. Add in griffin leaving. Vad leaving for different reasons. Holton leaving. Its just alot for one program to absorb like tech which struggles with depth anyway.

I hope we have a lucky low injury year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Lets look at this logically. In the past 4 months.

Akins gone. Academics again rumor
Robbins gone. academics thats the rumor
Days gone. Academics
Custis gone. Academics

This is 4 more players from being the same as flunkgate.

Griffin gone. Incharge of academic oversight

Ummmm. You think there is a link? This is exactly the same as flunkgate. The head coach put faith in his new staff and it backfired.

It is what it is. Add in griffin leaving. Vad leaving for different reasons. Holton leaving. Its just alot for one program to absorb like tech which struggles with depth anyway.

I hope we have a lucky low injury year.

You forgot Ty Griffin, where academics reportedly was a factor, if not determiner
I don't see how it will be the same as flunkgate in terms of violations

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You forgot Ty Griffin, where academics reportedly was a factor, if not determiner
I don't see how it will be the same as flunkgate in terms of violations

Flunkgate did not result in violations. People forget the violations were due to playing inelligible players during the oleary years due to gt bad admins claiming they were eligible. The timing was close to each other so people associate them.

We were put on probation under chan due to the prior administrations error. Chans players failed out in 2003. Probation started in 03 as well i think due to players playing from 1998-1999

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
That makes Holton, Lee, Griffin, Akins, Robbins, Custis, Hunt-Days, CDW and Paul Griffin gone.

Holy Cow!

Last time a list looked that long was Flunkgate!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This is certainly not good news, but it is by no means a disaster. Laskey will get a lot of work and he will have a big year. Conners may not be a Custis but he is reliable and durable, knows the offense, holds on to the ball, runs hard behind good blocking, and can block... not a bad backup. Wilson is an unknown but is big and tough and in his second year may become a pleasant surprise. Leggett is a wait and see. BB may be hurt more in the future than in 2014 and recruiting a quality BB in 2015 is critical since Custis' future at Tech is unknown.

DEs Freeman, Whitehead, Stargel, and Chungong are unknowns but judged with some optimism. JHD was in the mix. LB depth is good without JHD and his contribution to the DE position was a hopeful experiment with an unknown outcome. Hope he can return.

Losing Laskey and Whitehead or another QB would be a disaster!

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I know from, shall we say, 1st hand experience that it's not possible in one semester.
Ya what happened to academic probation? This shows the quality of Clayton County schools...it had to be his high school. He should've had a warning ala academic probation.

thwgjacket

According to a previous post Custis passed all his classes. I'm confused, is this on his high school again? Or did he make all D's and the person is just saying he passed, because technically a D is "passing." IF it's on his High School how can the NCAA hold that against him? Especially when he passed the graduation test.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Flunkgate did not result in violations. People forget the violations were due to playing inelligible players during the oleary years due to gt bad admins claiming they were eligible. The timing was close to each other so people associate them.

We were put on probation under chan due to the prior administrations error. Chans players failed out in 2003. Probation started in 03 as well i think due to players playing from 1998-1999

Fair enough. I was out of the country at the time and struggled to put it all together. So, none of the guys that failed out at the end of the 2002-2003 season were the same as those who played ineligibly during the previous seasons?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Fair enough. I was out of the country at the time and struggled to put it all together. So, none of the guys that failed out at the end of the 2002-2003 season were the same as those who played ineligibly during the previous seasons?

That's correct.

Flunkgate and the probation were 2 different things.

Flunkgate was due to, literally, Gailey treating the players like adults. He trusted they were going to class, study halls, and that the academic support staff were doing their jobs. They weren't.

The probation happened because Frank Roper, the academic supervisor of eligibility, was about to retire, was old and ornery and thought he knew everything (I know...a Georgia Tech man thinking he knows everything...never happens, right?). He quit going to the annual NCAA meetings and missed the requirement that changed where they said that athletes now had to be eligible using the stricter of your school's requirements or the NCAA requirements. Tech's are more stringent than the NCAA's and while our athletes were eligible by NCAA standards, they weren't by Tech's standards.

Someone finally caught it and Tech self-reported to the NCAA but was penalized.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE HERE, GENTLEMEN: In both cases, the people who were appointed as academic support staff BY THE HILL were either the main culprit or at least a contributing factor in each of those 2 problems.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean c'mon. If you were smart enough to get into Tech even with the Hill's relaxed restrictions you should be smart enough to stay at Tech. It's also not like these guys weren't on the M Train or Public Policy either.

Sounds like a lack of discipline to me....

I don't know what you are talking about... lots of people smart enough to get into tech, without any relaxed standards, fail out all the time.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
ONE IMPORTANT NOTE HERE, GENTLEMEN: In both cases, the people who were appointed as academic support staff BY THE HILL were either the main culprit or at least a contributing factor in each of those 2 problems.

This is the main point. And the irony is, the hill, used this to point out the lack of control in athletics. LOL it was and still is such a propaganda joke i still cringe thinking of it. Gladly now they are allowing paul to gain more leeway in his recruitment starting this year.

Of course now with all his casualty's he will probably be reluctant to use it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is the main point. And the irony is, the hill, used this to point out the lack of control in athletics. LOL it was and still is such a propaganda joke i still cringe thinking of it. Gladly now they are allowing paul to gain more leeway in his recruitment starting this year.

Of course now with all his casualty's he will probably be reluctant to use it.

Maybe the leeway started last year?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe the leeway started last year?

Not really. Something important to note is that we have always allowed our coaches to take exceptions. Custis was one of these.

The thing is that they were just limited to a hard # of exceptions. When/if you hit your limit, if there was someone else you really wanted, you couldn't even talk to them because you couldn't take them. Now, they simply don't put a hard limit on the #.

It really was irrelevant the last 2 years because CPJ didn't use his limit either year.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
According to a previous post Custis passed all his classes. I'm confused, is this on his high school again? Or did he make all D's and the person is just saying he passed, because technically a D is "passing." IF it's on his High School how can the NCAA hold that against him? Especially when he passed the graduation test.

I'd have to go look it up but I think the NCAA requirements are 2.0 or below but the requirements for Tech are a 2.2. If this is the case, he might have made C's in all his classes but would therefore still be ineligible because he has to remain eligible by Tech standards, since they're more stringent than the NCAA's.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Are we done feeling sorry for ourselves?

Look, we are Georgia Tech. This is what happens when you are a difficult school with real standards. Would you rather we had issues like UNC with fake classes etc keeping kids eligible? I am disappointed with both of these kids. They are responsible. They have let their entire team down.

Whoever said "next man up" is right. It is as simple as that. I am not going to pretend that these developments don't hurt the depth in the program. They will have a real impact. However, I am in no way a victim of anything. GT football will still be fun to watch and I have season tickets for the first time in my life! I feel like Will Farrell going back to school.

For those of you laying responsibility at CPJ's feet, I disagree wholeheartedly. He is presiding over the possibly the best academic period in modern GT football history. About the only blame I could possibly cast his direction is failing to identify TC'c academic limitations during the recruiting process. Maybe the kid just wasn't a fit with the books and we failed to recognize it. Maybe we should have brought in a different BB recruit instead.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, this is disappointing, rather like the sudden loss of so many OLs last year. But …

Custis never played a down for Tech. As it sits, we don't know if he would have been an instant hit or Hobbie Holiday the second. His leaving – and I agree that he probably won't come back – simply means that Leggett gets a new position (the one he should have been groomed for anyhow, imho) and Connors/Wilson get a few more snaps. Too bad, but we'll never know what we missed. I predict he'll never start for any team now; generally when you get in this sort of trouble and transfer you get lost in the shuffle. Perhaps this will be brought up to him and he'll come back.

With Hunt-Days, it's a loss, unless Harrell can come back. Personally, I never thought H-D would start at DE in the long run; I thought he'd end up back at LB next year. If Harrell recovers enough to play, I wouldn't be surprised to see another experiment next fall: Nealy to DE, if it turns out to be necessary. If not, we'll have depth problems unless Whitehead or Freeman turn out to be the players we anticipate. As for all this being H-D's fault: let's hold off on that. I nearly flunked out in my sophomore year in college because of a combination of the slump and a series of tough classes. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the young man simply found he'd bitten off more then he could chew. It happens and it isn't the end of the world for either him or his Tech football career.

Finally, I just finished watching the HBO Sports segment on the way the factories are playing fast and loose with the NCAA graduation requirements. My son insisted. Finding that Memphis let an illiterate into college to play football (I might add that none of the young men in the segment appeared stupid; just poorly educated) and that UNC has mercilessly sacrificed half or better of their "student/athletes" to courses of "study" that have prepared them for … well, nothing … was eyeopening. That Tech at least tries to prepare its players for a decent life after college is something we need to be proud of. I'd feel like a hypocrite and a fraud if I was cheering for the teams at UNC. And no wonder. I would be a hypocrite and a fraud.

(Btw, both of the former UNC athletes took Swahili as their foreign language. Anyone who know anything about that part of the world knows that Swahili is hellishly difficult for foreigners to learn, being an artificial lingua franca made up of Bantu languages and Arabic. No wonder neither of them could recall a single word of the language!)

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'd have to go look it up but I think the NCAA requirements are 2.0 or below but the requirements for Tech are a 2.2. If this is the case, he might have made C's in all his classes but would therefore still be ineligible because he has to remain eligible by Tech standards, since they're more stringent than the NCAA's.

The GPA is the same.

What's strange about this is you usually go on probation and do a grade substitute the following semester for those struggling in the class. Dont want to pass judgement BUT.... with a semester that probably consisted of GT 1000, Sociology/Psych, English, and History how can you not pull 1.75-1.8?