CPJ sez...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
"I tell our kids that if they can get better at stopping it in 3-4 days than you can running it all year then they're going to beat you no matter what you do"

Never seen this one. It is the truth for EVERY team (but even more so for ours since we run a HS offense; fortunately the SEC teams we play are usually not even HS intelligence).

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is from The Birddog, the Navy message board. Talking about big Navy wins and the SMU-Navy game in 1995 when Paul Johnson was a new OC installing his spread option. McCoy was a sophomore D back who had run some option in HS and on the scout team.

Johnson: I remember Chris McCoy was a defensive back when I came here. He came up and said, ‘Coach, I have watched your offense and I think I can play quarterback.’ I told him to get in line. After I saw two reps, I told him to get to the front of the line.

Navy gained 589 yards and beat SMU 35-2.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
"He's a good player. I think he'll be okay."
(On Justin Thomas during Fall camp '15, his second year as starter)
13648748.jpg

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
"He's a good player. I think he'll be okay."
(On Justin Thomas during Fall camp '15, his second year as starter)
13648748.jpg
After the orange bowl : I LOVE Justin Thomas! Summer camp: I think He will be OK! This is what makes PJ so much fun to follow. I would love to have him at a bar after two or three drinks and see what he would say about this team!

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
The last positive preseason comment I remember him saying about a player is "He's light years ahead of where we thout he would be." That was about Vad.
A player that gets a "yeah he did OK" needs to take one to the bank. IDR a more positive comment for a player when it relates to practice. After a big win like the OB or even against an arch rival he may get a little more generous in a comment.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A player that gets a "yeah he did OK" needs to take one to the bank. IDR a more positive comment for a player when it relates to practice. After a big win like the OB or even against an arch rival he may get a little more generous in a comment.
Furthermore, in preseason summer practice, it's super hot and he wants the kids to dig deep and push through barriers and create new ones they didn't think were possible. The last thing he wants to do is have guys think they're already there. He needs the new guys to learn the proper culture as it pertains to effort and he needs the old guys to lead by example.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
If he hadn't made it as a football coach, CPJ would have done this--

“My goal was to be the principal of an elementary school,” he said. “No athletics, all you have to do is make sure they got on the bus, off the bus. They don’t kill each other in the lunchroom. It would have been good. Get a good secretary and good teachers, you’ve got it knocked.”

AJC's Ken Suguira adds this reaction--- "Principal Johnson, standing at the school door, greeting first graders every morning. It’s quite an image."

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
I just so happen to be a kindergarten teacher. I write my reports but my supervisors always send them back to me because "you can't say that about a student." I imagine Mr. Johnson would be somewhat the same.