CPJ interview - Nov 11

slugboy

Staff member
You’re proving my point. Tech was (is) unable to pay competitive rates for top tier coaches and staff.

The issue persists. While others may have former OCs/DCs and even former HCs in extreme cases in support roles, we have ex players hired on the cheap.

Even our on field coaches are here at home town discounted rates.

We expect such a group to out develop and out scheme/coach the big dogs in our league and opponents? Ya, right...

There’s competitive and there’s stratospheric. He got shaking up the marketplace money.

Here’s the marketplace for college football right now: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chriss...-football-most-valuable-clemson-texas-am/amp/

There is no way we’re winning a spending battle with South Carolina unless a couple of billionaires show up tomorrow. That has zero to do with our AA being “cheap”. We have to play moneyball better than our competition. That’s the case for about 100 or so of the 130 big time football programs, and I’d say a fair chunk of the P5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
There’s competitive and there’s stratospheric. He got shaking up the marketplace money.

Here’s the marketplace for college football right now: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chriss...-football-most-valuable-clemson-texas-am/amp/

There is no way we’re winning a spending battle with South Carolina unless a couple of billionaires show up tomorrow. That has zero to do with our AA being “cheap”. We have to play moneyball better than our competition. That’s the case for about 100 or so of the 130 big time football programs, and I’d say a fair chunk of the P5.

I agree. I think there is a difference between “playing moneyball” and my desire to be better than 63 of 65, you know? I don’t expect us to be top 20-25 in spending, but at least let’s get to the duke level of spending.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I’ve lived in 12 different states & 5 of the 6 largest. There was 1 single team my HS played while in California that may have had gang members on the their team. I can’t think of a single other HS team in my entire life that I thought had gang members on it. I don’t think it’s very prevalent but maybe it is in Philly/NYC/Chicago, etc. I would be absolutely shocked if GT has active gang members in its ranks. Completely shocked.
Hate to break your heart but we do. Maybe not Active, but we have players that throw up gang signs during the game and do it on Instagram too. Like I said, doesn’t make them a bad personality and many did it for money and protection.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Hate to break your heart but we do. Maybe not Active, but we have players that throw up gang signs during the game and do it on Instagram too. Like I said, doesn’t make them a bad personality and many did it for money and protection.
I won't ask you to call out players, but what gangs are they in, and how do you know what these gang signs are?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
.. We have to play moneyball better than our competition. That’s the case for about 100 or so of the 130 big time football programs, and I’d say a fair chunk of the P5.

This is what many have been saying for a while. We run a different scheme (i.e. the option, could also go Mike Leach route and air raid) that levels the playing field talent wise so that we can be a good to great team. What you are saying goes against what the current strategy of the AA is. If we can't afford to keep up with factories recruiting wise, how can we expect to get the elite level classes that is apparently there goal currently.

All this is said, but I would like to emphasize that it's not impossible for Tech to recruit at an elite level. We will need the proper funding for it, more than just a good recruiter. Good recruiters are those that work for big money CFB teams, not necessarily the other way around.

LibertyTurns

Banned
No, gangbangers are not good people. That’s really sad if that’s what we’ve lowered ourselves to. Hopefully CGC runs off CPJ’s gangbangers. It would explain a lot of the troubles.

slugboy

Staff member
This is what many have been saying for a while. We run a different scheme (i.e. the option, could also go Mike Leach route and air raid) that levels the playing field talent wise so that we can be a good to great team. What you are saying goes against what the current strategy of the AA is. If we can't afford to keep up with factories recruiting wise, how can we expect to get the elite level classes that is apparently there goal currently.

All this is said, but I would like to emphasize that it's not impossible for Tech to recruit at an elite level. We will need the proper funding for it, more than just a good recruiter. Good recruiters are those that work for big money CFB teams, not necessarily the other way around.

Flexbone or air raid aren’t the only way to play moneyball. You can also hire young up-and-coming coaches.

For improved recruiting, it looks like what we’re doing now is working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Heh, you sure about that?

Every hand signal is not a "gang sign", ya know.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No, gangbangers are not good people. That’s really sad if that’s what we’ve lowered ourselves to. Hopefully CGC runs off CPJ’s gangbangers. It would explain a lot of the troubles.

Don't make that leap, Lib.

If we're being honest though, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find any successful cfb team that didn't feature guys some would consider gang "affiliated". I'm talking your Bama's, USC's, OhioSt's, etc. Don't kid yourself.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Don't make that leap, Lib.

If we're being honest though, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find any successful cfb team that didn't feature guys some would consider gang "affiliated". I'm talking your Bama's, USC's, OhioSt's, etc. Don't kid yourself.
Don’t you think LTurns might be being just a tad sarcastic?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Heh, you sure about that?

Every hand signal is not a "gang sign", ya know.
You would be surprised. I wasn’t the best kid growing up and in high school but thankfully my junior year I moved in with my grandparents. I can PM you more about it if you really want but I’m not gonna publicly out someone. There’s also a difference in what y’all would call a “banger” and just someone who grew up in the apartments or on the block and they just claim a set because they grew up around it. That’s usually the case for college athletes as most protect them because they know they have a free way out.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You would be surprised. I wasn’t the best kid growing up and in high school but thankfully my junior year I moved in with my grandparents. I can PM you more about it if you really want but I’m not gonna publicly out someone. There’s also a difference in what y’all would call a “banger” and just someone who grew up in the apartments or on the block and they just claim a set because they grew up around it. That’s usually the case for college athletes as most protect them because they know they have a free way out.

I hear you. But, to me, it's as you describe. There's a big difference between being in a gang and just throwin' up a sign. Big difference.

Sounds like you know the difference but most here don't and won't. That's why I responded to you the way I did. Most will read your post and make that colossal, "oh muh gard, we got gangsters on tha teem!" leap unnecessarily.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
You’ve seen too many movies.