CPJ interview - Nov 11

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is my concern- we’re barely giving CGC enough resources to compete with the bottom of the P5. The man may very well turn out to be a recruiting genius, but tying both hands behind his back while carrying all the other burdens of being a GT football coach is unfair. He’s got a solid class minus some key adds
so far, but what could he have done with a level playing field? There’s no way of knowing for sure, but you have to be ignorant in my opinion to not believe it would better.

It's getting better faster. As I said earlier, TStan had begun working to increase the budget prior to CPJ retiring. $4.5 million from the AI 2020 initiative has been allocated for football operations. Also, they are building a permanent endowment for the scholarships, which would free up more of the donations (A-T fund) for operations as well. TStan wisely leveraged the hiring of a new football coach to drive donations, and IMO, his hiring of CGC was every bit as much about the salesmanship needed to get $$ into the GTAA as it was his coaching pedigree. CGC is the coach we need right now.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Do you realize how dumb that strategy sounds? Why on earth would you want to build a roster of lesser talented players? We actually had to have elite players to win. When our key cogs were not talented, we struggled to win games. CPJ was a great tactician, but let's not act like that system is the only way to win games. So many have been lulled into this self-fulfilling prophecy that GT cannot recruit.

Because you completely missed the point. They were rated that way for the typical offense. However, they were more valuable to us because their skill set matched our offense better. ie we recruited players who would be 4 star players in our previous offense. Not all of them, but a lot of them. Those are the comments from people who blindly look at recruiting rankings. Some players are a better fit for the style of offense and defense a team runs, so they would be more important than a 4* for a typical offense of defense.

It was proven because our offense was a top 20 offense most years.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
This is my concern- we’re barely giving CGC enough resources to compete with the bottom of the P5. The man may very well turn out to be a recruiting genius, but tying both hands behind his back while carrying all the other burdens of being a GT football coach is unfair. He’s got a solid class minus some key adds
so far, but what could he have done with a level playing field? There’s no way of knowing for sure, but you have to be ignorant in my opinion to not believe it would better.
But wasn't that a driving factor for hiring CGC in the first place? In Kirby Smart's words: "He's a bowling ball of energy." Collins has a history of doing new, innovative things in recruiting to stay ahead of the curve and he puts more effort into it than anybody. There's a saying that goes, "The product of money and innovation is constant." Things like sending coaches out to meet Jamious Griffin at midnight at the end of the dead period is an innovation and effort thing, not a budget thing. Same with maintaining a strong social media presence. Or making up unique business cards that stick out to HS coaches and recruits. Or things he did in the past like writing personal hand written letters to players or making a SWAG Chalice or staying consistent to a fun brand. These are small, basically free things the coaching staff is doing in order to essentially punch above their weight class in recruiting. I think it absolutely could be better, but that should be a reason for optimism. Like, if we're going to finish with a top 30 class for only the second time in 20 years with two hands tied behind our back, what will it look like when the $8 million in ACC Network money affords us some new staffers?

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Because you completely missed the point. They were rated that way for the typical offense. However, they were more valuable to us because their skill set matched our offense better. ie we recruited players who would be 4 star players in our previous offense. Not all of them, but a lot of them. Those are the comments from people who blindly look at recruiting rankings. Some players are a better fit for the style of offense and defense a team runs, so they would be more important than a 4* for a typical offense of defense.

It was proven because our offense was a top 20 offense most years.

And you're missing my point. CPJs only above average years were when he fielded teams with elite talent at key positions. Do you honestly think the old staff preferred the lightly recruited little engine that could guys or the highly touted studs? The results speak for themselves.

He is a great offensive mind and that allows him to more with less. But imagine if actually recruited more talent.

So what does this all mean? It takes elite talent and coaching to make a successful and complete team.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I am done giving money to AI 2020... Until CGC and CJP can start winning.... This is crappy mess.... We were challenged with donating We have come through and have to watch this crap with the FB and MB programs.... Sad state for sure...

It’s called making an investment. Did you expect an immediate return? If so, you’re doing it wrong.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
As a data point Wake Forest launched a $140M initiative 2 years ago. We’re 2 years behind and $15M short of keeping up with them. In 2015 Dook launched a $250M initiative. We’re competing at half Dook’s level almost 5 years behind them. I’m sure there’s others. It’s not worth looking. We’re bring up the rear of the ACC which is the rear of P5 football.

Wake actually raised about $270 million. They have a 125,000 sf S&C facility. GT’s is 9,500 sf.

If Wake can do it, so can we. We’ve just got to decide that it’s important and do it.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Well damn, we’re getting smoked big time.
For those who haven’t actually ever seen it, GT’s weight room has to be the least impressive in all of P5 football, and there’s almost definitely some G5 and even FCS teams with a better facility. The area itself is basically cut in half by support beams, and the ceiling is so low that a tall person can’t even jump rope without the rope hitting the ceiling. The equipment itself and graphics on the wall and whatnot look nice, but the actual area is very underwhelming.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Well damn, we’re getting smoked big time.

We are, but we can change it. Wake has an enrollment of 3,000 students. They don't put out near the number of alumni that we do. Yet, they got together and raised that amount. I think the GTAA has done a piss poor job of networking, getting young people involved in giving early, and also just simply asking for the money.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We are, but we can change it. Wake has an enrollment of 3,000 students. They don't put out near the number of alumni that we do. Yet, they got together and raised that amount. I think the GTAA has done a piss poor job of networking, getting young people involved in giving early, and also just simply asking for the money.
I know I sound like a broken record but I really hate not winning at things. I can understand getting beaten on the field but to me getting beaten off the field is intolerable. We can’t force kids to like GT- the academics, the insistence on being a good citizen, the different way we expect our athlete to conduct themselves, our traditions, our immediate environment around campus, etc. We do control our level of support- academic, guidance, opportunities to thrive post-football, our facilities, branding, game day environment, the way our Institute treat our athletes, etc. In the years leading up to 1985 they transformed the way campus looked because the Institute was embarrassed at the way the campus was allowed to deteriorate. A similar effort is needed for athletics. We’re GT, we’re supposed to be excellent where others are not and it’s just damn frustrating the Institute’s leadership really doesn’t give a damn about our athletics or worse our own athletes.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
What is the ranking? The end.
Then why don't recruiting ranking exactly mirror the top 25 teams? Think about that. There's not much difference between 25th class and 35th class. It's like individual prayers, yes must 5 star and some 4 stars are clear ballers, but outside of them, it's kind of a crap shoot.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
And you're missing my point. CPJs only above average years were when he fielded teams with elite talent at key positions. Do you honestly think the old staff preferred the lightly recruited little engine that could guys or the highly touted studs? The results speak for themselves.

He is a great offensive mind and that allows him to more with less. But imagine if actually recruited more talent.

So what does this all mean? It takes elite talent and coaching to make a successful and complete team.
Nah, 2014 was because he had seniors who were well versed in the system and more grown. That's how you can make things work at tech without having top recruiting rankings when resources are so crippling. I think CPJ preferred getting old and staying old to compensate for GTAA's shortcomings. That's easier said then done, but a better route than trying to out recruit on a 500k budget while everyone else is in the millions (piggybacking off the example in the previous post).

Things are changing, however, with TS at AD. I hope this translates to better and better classes. We shall see.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Then why don't recruiting ranking exactly mirror the top 25 teams? Think about that. There's not much difference between 25th class and 35th class. It's like individual prayers, yes must 5 star and some 4 stars are clear ballers, but outside of them, it's kind of a crap shoot.
Nothing is going to be a 1-1. There are a lot of factors like attrition, injuries and coaching. If you looked at the aggregate classes at 4 and 5 years and compared them to the top 25 I bet it was be incredibly close.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Nothing is going to be a 1-1. There are a lot of factors like attrition, injuries and coaching. If you looked at the aggregate classes at 4 and 5 years and compared them to the top 25 I bet it was be incredibly close.
Maybe, but I'd like to see the data of there's somewhere to go and get it. I just think it's not as clear cut as some think it is.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I know I sound like a broken record but I really hate not winning at things. I can understand getting beaten on the field but to me getting beaten off the field is intolerable. We can’t force kids to like GT- the academics, the insistence on being a good citizen, the different way we expect our athlete to conduct themselves, our traditions, our immediate environment around campus, etc. We do control our level of support- academic, guidance, opportunities to thrive post-football, our facilities, branding, game day environment, the way our Institute treat our athletes, etc. In the years leading up to 1985 they transformed the way campus looked because the Institute was embarrassed at the way the campus was allowed to deteriorate. A similar effort is needed for athletics. We’re GT, we’re supposed to be excellent where others are not and it’s just damn frustrating the Institute’s leadership really doesn’t give a damn about our athletics or worse our own athletes.

Amen, although I think we have the right AD now to help lead us out of that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Since 2009, the recruiting rankings each year for school "X"
9, 13, 17, 21, 5, 5, 15, 15, 20, 12

Since 2009, team "X" is 73-68. 5 wins over .500 ball.

On average, there are about 7-10 teams in the top 30 who haven't finished ranked on a regular basis recently. Team "X" is just the most obvious.

Coaching matters, and Team "X" (Tennessee) probably really regrets firing Philip Fulmer in 2008...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Nah, 2014 was because he had seniors who were well versed in the system and more grown. That's how you can make things work at tech without having top recruiting rankings when resources are so crippling. I think CPJ preferred getting old and staying old to compensate for GTAA's shortcomings. That's easier said then done, but a better route than trying to out recruit on a 500k budget while everyone else is in the millions (piggybacking off the example in the previous post).

Things are changing, however, with TS at AD. I hope this translates to better and better classes. We shall see.
Yes. I don't know how many people remember it, but Tech had some highly rated DLs and OLs depart the school right before the 2014 season. Many people, knowing that our problem is always D, thought the season was at risk; I know I sure did. But we were way, way wrong. The departing players probably helped the team considerably by helping team coherence. Also, the players could look around them and see what we had, even if others couldn't. I also might add that Boomer put paid to all this recruiting stuff awhile ago. The up shot of it was that since we didn't recruit well (by the "rankings") that we just weren't all that good. All you had to do is look at the record of the last 11 years to know that that was horsepucky, especially on offense. We consistently rated higher then our "rankings" would have predicted.

Now, however, we had better do well recruiting. We're after the same players everyone else is and we're doing that with a smaller budget. We'll see how that works out.