CPJ extension

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not trying to be argumentative, but to what avail? It matters absolutely ZERO what list I would come up with. I know some people in the athletic department but MBob isn't on my speed dial. I'm 100% certain he isn't going to call and ask my opinion. So any great ideas I might come up with for coaching replacements would accomplish absolutely zero.
So you won't even put forth a single name of who you would like to replace CPJ with?...nevermind...carry on with your CPJ hating.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
So you won't even put forth a single name of who you would like to replace CPJ with?...nevermind...carry on with your CPJ hating.

Be glad to. Now...you give me the list of all the people who will be available at the time our coach is fired...and I'll gladly pick from that list. But:
1. I don't know who would be available at that point. (Hint. And neither do you...nor our AD....because that list changes weekly.)
2. I don't know when/if Coach Johnson will be fired.
3. I have been very plain and clear that I'm not a fan of Coach Johnson. But I have also not been calling for his firing. Why the hell would we fire our coach when we're 5-1 on the season? My "CPJ Hating" you're claiming is something that from your mind. This thread was originally about extending Coach Johnson's contract mid season. I posted my reasons why I didn't think that made sense.
4. And this is the one you seem to have the most problem with, so I'll type slowly so you can understand: IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHO I WOULD SUPPORT IN THE EVENT WE NEEDED TO REPLACE A COACH. THAT JOB FALLS TO OUR ATHLETIC DIRECTOR.....NOT US FANS. But more importantly, that would be a silly exercise at this point. Again....we are 5-1 and Coach Johnson's job is in absolutely no danger at this point. Now if we end up somewhere around .500 on the season, this might be an exercise that people would start taking part in. But unless something like this happens, then even discussing this is pretty silly.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Oh boy...did I hurt your feelings? So you aren't calling for his replacement but you are an admitted CPJ hater...that issue is set now I guess. Since you like to use numerals to make your individual points I will reply in kind.
1. So you are implying that the head coaching job at Tech can or should only be filled by a current head coach currently employed. Does this mean you think only currently employed head coaches...who won't be so employed at the end of the year....will be our pool of potential replacements should that be necessary? Great candidates those would be. I guess you exclude all current head coaches at non power five schools, any head coach that would rather coach at Tech than at his current school, all assistant head coaches. Certainly you wouldn't suggest something as silly as this? So I will just chalk #1 here up to you being too lazy to put forth even a single name.
2. Well we were talking hypothetically earlier but ok.
3. You were the one that first mentioned that a short list of candidates was not necessary prior to the firing of a coach and then went into a long winded comparison to decisions made in the business sector....so???
4. I appreciate you typing slow for my benefit. Let me tell you Einstein that the speed at which you type has no bearing on the speed at which I read. Wasn't sure if you realized how these posts worked technically...just trying to return favor and help you out in kind. Yes you are not the AD at Tech...thank God for that at least. But fans can, and have, affected coaching decisions by making their beliefs known to the administrations of schools. So fan input does matter. I can edit that last sentence and put it in all caps if that would also help you. As for the silliness of the discussion....yes I agree there has been quite a bit of silliness now and concede the conversation has likely run its course. Now if you clamor for canning the coach in the future....I'll hit you up again. (y)

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, to be clear. I'm not a CPJ Hater. I've had drinks with him a few times. As a person, he's funny and quite a good guy to be around. And I have always acknowledged that I think he's one heck of a football coach. I just find our offense really boring to watch.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I'll get this hypothetical ball rolling.

Since he has been cleared by the NCAA of any wrong doing, since I think he can coach, since I am pretty sure he is a good recruiter, and since he is not a Tech Man (who have been our worst coaches), I would say Butch Davis. Or Chad Morris, Mac Brown, randy Shannon, the OC at uf, Spurrier

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I'll get this hypothetical ball rolling.

Since he has been cleared by the NCAA of any wrong doing, since I think he can coach, since I am pretty sure he is a good recruiter, and since he is not a Tech Man (who have been our worst coaches), I would say Butch Davis. Or Chad Morris, Mac Brown, randy Shannon, the OC at uf, Spurrier
Why not throw Nicky Saben and Urb Meyer into the hat. Urb's daughter might even campaign for us.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Chad Morris
Phillip Montgomery
Brent Key
Geoff Collins
Rhett Lashlee
Ruffin McNeil

No retreads and no prostyle offense.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
The more majors thing is something that comes up constantly on GoJackets and it ends up being a terrible discussion every time. There are 2 realities around this.

1st, it's my understanding they don't happen without Board of Regents approval, which is rife with UGA supporters.

2nd, while they're not basketweaving, the reality is that we have several majors that are more than manageable for the average student (i.e. - not your typical GT admit) and the GTAA has one of the strongest academic support systems on campus. With a reasonable amount of effort & academic guidance, we should never have an eligibility issue. If a kid decides it's not the place for him, that's another story.

WRT #2, I spoke with 2 players recently and asked how they managed to keep up with practices and their grades. They both immediately said that GT gives athletes all the support they need to be successful. Further, they said the only way to fail was to not go to class. Between Management (challenging but not impossible) and the HST studies (less challenging), we should be able to attract bright athletes with lots of talent. I think the non-GT schools will always have an advantage because they can attract "less bright" athletes with even more talent

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
WRT #2, I spoke with 2 players recently and asked how they managed to keep up with practices and their grades. They both immediately said that GT gives athletes all the support they need to be successful. Further, they said the only way to fail was to not go to class. Between Management (challenging but not impossible) and the HST studies (less challenging), we should be able to attract bright athletes with lots of talent. I think the non-GT schools will always have an advantage because they can attract "less bright" athletes with even more talent

Most schools do this. Difference is that these 2 majors at GT still require many hours of study and work to be successful. Why would some stud DT want to come here and work when he can go to a factory school and just play football and still get a degree handed to him.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Most schools do this. Difference is that these 2 majors at GT still require many hours of study and work to be successful. Why would some stud DT want to come here and work when he can go to a factory school and just play football and still get a degree handed to him.

I agree. That is why non-GT schools will always have a recruiting advantage.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Even with HST, GT's "easiest" path to a degree is usually more difficult than 80% of other D1 football school's degree options.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Chad Morris
Phillip Montgomery
Brent Key
Geoff Collins
Rhett Lashlee
Ruffin McNeil

No retreads and no prostyle offense.
You complain about mediocrity and then you list these as the coaches you want. You bring the spread offense to GT and you will essentially be Northwestern. And I don't care what Ruffin McNeil is doing at East Carolina, he was an awful DC at Texas Tech. I honestly have no idea how he got a head coaching job.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
You complain about mediocrity and then you list these as the coaches you want. You bring the spread offense to GT and you will essentially be Northwestern. And I don't care what Ruffin McNeil is doing at East Carolina, he was an awful DC at Texas Tech. I honestly have no idea how he got a head coaching job.
Northwestern doesn't run the same offense that any of those coaches that I listed do. Not even close. Those coaches (except Collins and Ruffin McNeil) are all on the cutting edge on offense. That is what you have to have in today's game unless you have Alabama talent.

Traditionally we have always been able to pull in quality WRs, and now we run an offense that doesn't use them. The new offenses today have as much or more schematic advantage than we have running the 3O. The difference is that players do want to play in the new offenses, so talent would increase.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
^regarding scheme...that's mostly opinion and speculation but a good post. Respect for actually putting out some names. I happen to think CPJ is better than them but that also is just opinion.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Northwestern doesn't run the same offense that any of those coaches that I listed do. Not even close. Those coaches (except Collins and Ruffin McNeil) are all on the cutting edge on offense. That is what you have to have in today's game unless you have Alabama talent.

Traditionally we have always been able to pull in quality WRs, and now we run an offense that doesn't use them. The new offenses today have as much or more schematic advantage than we have running the 3O. The difference is that players do want to play in the new offenses, so talent would increase.

I don't understand what you mean by, "That is what you have to have in today's game unless you have Alabama talent."

Doing what we're doing, we are currently ranked as the #2 offense in the country by football outsiders, Off F/+. By what standard are you suggesting that we are not currently doing what you have to do without Alabama talent?

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't understand what you mean by, "That is what you have to have in today's game unless you have Alabama talent."

Doing what we're doing, we are currently ranked as the #2 offense in the country by football outsiders, Off F/+. By what standard are you suggesting that we are not currently doing what you have to do without Alabama talent?
You can't run a pro style unless you have Alabama talent. Thought that was pretty obvious. Sorry if it wasn't.