CPJ extension

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Allow me one more terrible analogy. With certain kinds of cancer the best approach may be "watchful waiting." Something is going on with the body that is less than optimum but it may never prove to be a problem or it can end up killing you. However, to act prematurely could end up being worse than doing nothing. Thus the doctors advise watchful waiting.

Now this analogy becomes really unfortunate if we get too allegorical with it. I am not suggesting that CPJ is the tumor nor that he represents cells with an elevated count. If we have to fill in that part of the analogy then just go with Tech as an institution that has had chronic problems competing in football since around the mid 1960s. Those who are apologists for CPJ do not really think the issue is that we cannot get anyone better but rather that there may be no need to even see if there is anyone better. I am sure there are better coaches than Saban at Alabama but I doubt that it is worth getting rid of Saban just to run that little experiment. "But," you say, "Alabama wins a lot more games than Tech!" Yes, and Bill Curry had a much better record at Alabama than he did at Tech. The point is whether CPJ is to Tech what Saban is to Alabama. Those who want to stick with CPJ would argue that the jury is still out because, given the nature of Tech's systemic issues, we in the "watchful waiting" stage. CPJ has not failed. A comparison of his record shows that he is one of the most successful coaches Tech has had in the modern era. Some of us actually believe he can be even better but that this has taken time, and will continue to take a little more time, before we see the end results of his efforts. By the same token I think some of us are highly skeptical that you could bring in someone who could jump start this program to the next level. That has not happened at Tech since Dodd. We ain't Alabama where almost any decent coach can come in and compete at a top level right away.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Allow me one more terrible analogy. .....
I don't disagree with much of what you said. But the original point of this thread was about a CPJ extension of his contract. It is the contention of myself and many others that, IF the contract is extended (whether it's done now or at the end of the season), then just make sure you don't put us into the guaranteed buyout situation we're in now with Johnson and where we ended up eating money on the buyouts of both Gailey and Hewitt.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with much of what you said. But the original point of this thread was about a CPJ extension of his contract. It is the contention of myself and many others that, IF the contract is extended (whether it's done now or at the end of the season), then just make sure you don't put us into the guaranteed buyout situation we're in now with Johnson and where we ended up eating money on the buyouts of both Gailey and Hewitt.
Agreed. Sometimes I lose track of the original topic. o_O

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Think we should wait to do anything, extension or firing, until the end of the 2015 season. We will know what we have at that point in time due to the difficult schedule.
Agree, we need to see how JT develops, he should be a ton better next year and with a more experienced OL. The D is very young right now and they should be better from a pure experience stand point, also.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
You're kidding right?

It also wasn't after the first year...it was after the second.

Lol, I am not going to post personal business that CPJ hasn't put out there himself...If you think that CPJ didn't have the chance after his second season to take another high profile job then that choice is yours. But I can tell you that he did.
No not kidding at all.........thought he got the extra after first year...you mean to tell me that PJ and offers to go elsewhere is not for the blog where we go into every facet of a persons coaching career..........okay you make the rules and if I am wrong about the extension for the second year then its my bad but cant believe a program big time would take a flexbone ..............so be it......have a good one.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Mack, you may not believe it...that is your perogative. But there was a pretty high level of hype and general respect given to CPJ and his scheme following the 09 season. Most of that hype and media respect has evaporated with our last few 7 win seasons....but it was the case then.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I think when decide to extend or not CPJ's contract somewhat comes down to how long you've been watching CPJ at GT. If you're fairly new, then perhaps waiting until the end of 2015 makes some sense. If you been watching him since he was hired, then you have seen CPJ for 6 years and 10 months and there probably isn't anything you going learn over the next two or three months that you don't already know.

As for me, I would be happy to give CPJ an extension. He seems to be the right coach for the job.

As for a buyout, I'm torn. On one hand, you want none because that affords a lot of flexibility for the AA. On the other hand, if you're truly happy with having CPJ as the coach, then why do you care about a buyout? The only reason to not have a buyout is if you think you want to get a new coach in the future and if that is the case then wouldn't you be better off getting the new coach ASAP?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I think when decide to extend or not CPJ's contract somewhat comes down to how long you've been watching CPJ at GT. If you're fairly new, then perhaps waiting until the end of 2015 makes some sense. If you been watching him since he was hired, then you have seen CPJ for 6 years and 10 months and there probably isn't anything you going learn over the next two or three months that you don't already know.

As for me, I would be happy to give CPJ an extension. He seems to be the right coach for the job.

As for a buyout, I'm torn. On one hand, you want none because that affords a lot of flexibility for the AA. On the other hand, if you're truly happy with having CPJ as the coach, then why do you care about a buyout? The only reason to not have a buyout is if you think you want to get a new coach in the future and if that is the case then wouldn't you be better off getting the new coach ASAP?
Fair point. But couldn't you also spin that around the other way?

If you're given a very lucrative, incentive-based contract that could actually pay you more money annually than a contract with guaranteed money, why wouldn't you want to take it? If you're a coach who is confident in his ability to deliver a quality product on and off the field, then I would think such a contract would be your ideal. Whereas, by insisting on a guaranteed buyout, you're saying that you believe that, at some point in time, people will want me to leave....and pretty much the only time that usually occurs is when you aren't winning.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Fair point. But couldn't you also spin that around the other way?

If you're given a very lucrative, incentive-based contract that could actually pay you more money annually than a contract with guaranteed money, why wouldn't you want to take it? If you're a coach who is confident in his ability to deliver a quality product on and off the field, then I would think such a contract would be your ideal. Whereas, by insisting on a guaranteed buyout, you're saying that you believe that, at some point in time, people will want me to leave....and pretty much the only time that usually occurs is when you aren't winning.

Given how fickle the fan bases are and the relative lack of stability of the coaching profession as a whole, I'd fight hard for a guaranteed contract if I were a college football coach. There's too much risk that you exceed preseason expectations, only to have the fans' expectations change at the end if the year and now you're judged as not meeting expectations. Also, fan expectations can get wildly out of control. If you could trust the AD to stick with you long term, then it might be different, but the AD doesn't seem to have that much more stability than the coaches.

The incentive approach is a nice idea, but not necessarily so from the coach's POV, particularly if the coach has a good reputation and has other offers to choose from. Of course, if the AA and fans are willing to accept coaches with little pedigree, then I'm sure those guys would accept an incentive contract as a way to get their foot in the door.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Go

Go test that hypothesis on the Michigan board and let's see what happens...

jennifer-lawrence-23.gif

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@silas.....if fans want to clamor for firing their coach (us Miami, Michigan, Tenn, or Wake).....they should consider possible eventualities and outcomes. If you want change it is wise to consider possible outcomes of change. I know many fans would rather foam at the mouth and scream and moan instead of use their gray matter however.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
@silas.....if fans want to clamor for firing their coach (us Miami, Michigan, Tenn, or Wake).....they should consider possible eventualities and outcomes. If you want change it is wise to consider possible outcomes of change. I know many fans would rather foam at the mouth and scream and moan instead of use their gray matter however.
Not trying to be argumentative, but to what avail? It matters absolutely ZERO what list I would come up with. I know some people in the athletic department but MBob isn't on my speed dial. I'm 100% certain he isn't going to call and ask my opinion. So any great ideas I might come up with for coaching replacements would accomplish absolutely zero.