CPJ extension

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I was with you until we got to the business analogy and then your argument broke down for me. You kind of threw a red herring into the mix. Sure you fire someone who is not getting the job done. And of course, you never hang on to someone just because you think you cannot find someone else to hire. But that is not what people are suggesting when it comes to a coach at Tech. The issue, to use a terribly wooden analogy, would be to say that you had hired someone to sell ice cubes to Eskimos. He did not fail at the job but, under the rather obvious disadvantages of the job, kept the company going and had some modest success. Now the question is this, do I hang on to this guy even though I know that selling ice cubes to Eskimos is going to be a slow growth venture or do I sack him because there might be some unknown guy out there who has figured out not only how to sell ice cubes to Eskimos but to do it faster and better than anyone else we have ever had in the job and to do it so well that he actually begins to compete in annual sales with the guy who is selling ice cubes in the Caribbean? That is what I think people mean when they discuss firing CPJ for some unknown option.

I beg everyone's forgiveness if my analogy had racist or cultural biased overtones.
Spot on IMO. Before we consider changing coaches... We need to research how many high profile athletes we will be able to get through school 4 years. Im not sure if changing coaches and hoping and praying that we will get better recruits.and.keep them in school is a great idea. It sounds nice in theory... but I feel CPJ will get it done for us. Just need a daggum Top 45 defense.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL. Well don't read them then.

Just because I don't happen to agree with your silly idea of giving a guy a contract extension after we just lost to a team that hadn't been us in 10 years, you don't have to get your panties in a wad.
My apologies to the forum. I put out a post yesterday talking about how we shouldn't be personally attacking each other, then I let myself get sucked in to doing just that.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes, although I believe PJ is a LONG way from overcoming his recruiting issues (we will see if we can keep 95% of the commits this year, especially on the D side of the ball), I still believe if he can overcome that very difficult obstacle, his system will continue to give us a chance to compete. I would like to see us beat UNC, Pitt & UVA before we make the extension decision. The decision CANNOT hinge on the last 2 games, or in my opinion, he could already be dead man walking. Not saying we cannot win those games, but it will be a gargantuan task, especially the last one. For any of you that would make the decision based on the game after T-giving, you probably need to go ahead and remove your support now.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Yes, although I believe PJ is a LONG way from overcoming his recruiting issues (we will see if we can keep 95% of the commits this year, especially on the D side of the ball), I still believe if he can overcome that very difficult obstacle, his system will continue to give us a chance to compete. I would like to see us beat UNC, Pitt & UVA before we make the extension decision. The decision CANNOT hinge on the last 2 games, or in my opinion, he could already be dead man walking. Not saying we cannot win those games, but it will be a gargantuan task, especially the last one. For any of you that would make the decision based on the game after T-giving, you probably need to go ahead and remove your support now.

I guess maybe this is part of my problem, it shouldn't have to be a "gargantuan task" to beat UGA ... but it is !

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
LOL. Well don't read them then.

Just because I don't happen to agree with your silly idea of giving a guy a contract extension after we just lost to a team that hadn't been us in 10 years, you don't have to get your panties in a wad.

Lol...my panties aint in a bunch yet. If you fire a head coach....and don't have a real good idea of who may replace him.....you have embarked on a very foolish venture.

@babyjacket......that is just a plain dumb post IMO. So we win the ACCCG but lose to UGA and CPJ has to go? Wow. UGA is the most important game every year....no argument. Judging Tech's head coach based on his success vs. them alone.....whatever.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol...my panties aint in a bunch yet. If you fire a head coach....and don't have a real good idea of who may replace him.....you have embarked on a very foolish venture.

@babyjacket......that is just a plain dumb post IMO. So we win the ACCCG but lose to UGA and CPJ has to go? Wow. UGA is the most important game every year....no argument. Judging Tech's head coach based on his success vs. them alone.....whatever.

So you honestly think that we fired Chan Gailey because we knew we could get Paul Johnson? LOL, well I had a friend who sat on that selection committee and I can assure you....he did not come in as the front runner. Gailey was fired...we formally interviewed I believe it was 5 people...and "informally interviewed" 2 others to judge their interest. It was only after the first round of interviews that Johnson and one other emerged as the frontrunners and then Johnson was selected. They did not fire Gailey with the notion of hiring Johnson.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
By your "friend's" account they had a short list. Where is your disconnect here? You wanta fire him...better have a short list. What is yours?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Why....because he had two good years and we had some heavy hitters knocking at the door trying to hire him.
Come on who wants to run this high school offense........not doubting some may have had interest in him but do you think after one year PJ would have bolted to another team.........he may have and I have no proof one way or the other so lets name those schools and put the matter to rest my friend.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I guess maybe this is part of my problem, it shouldn't have to be a "gargantuan task" to beat UGA ... but it is !

Ehhh. Is it? I mean, I know as Georgia Tech fans, we have a huge inferiority complex vs. UGA. And, given our results the last 16 years, it is not for lack of good reason. That said, in our six years under Johnson, we beat them once, lost in double overtime last year, and it came down to the last possession two other years. Yes, 1-5 is bad, but I don't know that I would agree that record establishes that beating UGA under CPJ has become a "gargantuan task." It only seems so because of the last 16 years taken as a whole. We are generally very competitive with them, just lose way too much. Same could be said about VT and Miami as of late; hopefully the UGA game turns out like those. We need to do much better, but I would have a much different attitude if we failed to be competitive with them year after year instead of mostly losing very close games.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
First I thank the team for this site and their on going management of it.
Second I think will look back on 2014 as a positive turn for our major programs. Pres. Peterson has put in place broad majors that make us a "University" giving all students and SAs choices. AD Bobinski has put resources in place to win. I trust that whatever the next steps are needed, Bud and Mike will do them because they are winners and most of the people on this forum are too. I am excited about the GT future.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
By your "friend's" account they had a short list. Where is your disconnect here? You wanta fire him...better have a short list. What is yours?
It seems you're the one with the disconnect.
There was a fairly short list.
It was compiled AFTER they fired Gailey. Not BEFORE, as you're suggesting should have been the case.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yep. I do contend that. And if there wasn't a short list the AD screwed the pooch. Piss poor short sightedness. Every AD should have a short list and only an incompetent one wouldn't.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Come on who wants to run this high school offense........not doubting some may have had interest in him but do you think after one year PJ would have bolted to another team.........he may have and I have no proof one way or the other so lets name those schools and put the matter to rest my friend.

You're kidding right?

It also wasn't after the first year...it was after the second.

Lol, I am not going to post personal business that CPJ hasn't put out there himself...If you think that CPJ didn't have the chance after his second season to take another high profile job then that choice is yours. But I can tell you that he did.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I am very surprised this is a thread. Contract extensions should not be on the to do list imo at this junction. Winning against UNC should. Even if we had beaten Duke it is irrelevant imo. Wait until the season is over. Then look at the body of work as a whole including this season.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
lol. Of course there is a short list when u r about ti can someone. That doesnt equal a will hire or will accept list. Jeez folks. We asked jimbo. He said no. We asked a few others. They said no.