CPJ extension

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it's time. I couldn't be happier with the 5-1 start, wins over Miami and VT. Duke loss was tough but until the administration lets him recruit quality depth I'm willing to lay the blame on them.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I would be in favor of it. I think he deserves to at least be given the chance to win with the next and previous recruiting classes.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I have to not just look at yesterday and take a bigger view of our year so far...I have liked some things I have seen and been impressed with our 5-1 start.

I do think most of the issues I had with CPJ seem to be trending in the right direction besides the defense.

However, I would like to see the rest of the year play out before a extension is handed down.

I do have the feel that it would be the right move to keep him.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
If we beat UGA this year he needs the contract extension waiting on him when he gets back to his office. Beating 3/4 of the big 4 is awesome.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
If I was CPJ though I'd want some concessions.

Easier recruiting, more majors, something to show him we actually care about football. His comment about Georgia Southern "getting it" should let us all know where his thinking is.

The majors issue may not be in direct control of the hill, that has to be done in conjunction with the BOR and Tech sure isn't going to get any help from them.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The more majors thing is something that comes up constantly on GoJackets and it ends up being a terrible discussion every time. There are 2 realities around this.

1st, it's my understanding they don't happen without Board of Regents approval, which is rife with UGA supporters.

2nd, while they're not basketweaving, the reality is that we have several majors that are more than manageable for the average student (i.e. - not your typical GT admit) and the GTAA has one of the strongest academic support systems on campus. With a reasonable amount of effort & academic guidance, we should never have an eligibility issue. If a kid decides it's not the place for him, that's another story.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Then we need to pour more resources into recruiting and branding
Good news! We have and we're seeing results.

We've now got a small, but strong recruiting office, which has former local HS coaches, Joe Hamilton & Saeed Khalif, former GT players. Hopefully over time, this grows, as it gives us additional resources to review recruiting video & host kids when they visit campus.

Also, I've gotta say, since Chris Yandle has been hired, the results have been immediate on the social media front. He is constantly putting us out there with more interesting content across multiple platforms. We've also hired somebody who handled branding for the Cowboys for like 20-30 years.

While DRad was overly focused on building facilities, Bobinski realizes this is big business and he needs to drive revenue for future reinvestment.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Good news! We have and we're seeing results.

We've now got a small, but strong recruiting office, which has former local HS coaches, Joe Hamilton & Saeed Khalif, former GT players. Hopefully over time, this grows, as it gives us additional resources to review recruiting video & host kids when they visit campus.

Also, I've gotta say, since Chris Yandle has been hired, the results have been immediate on the social media front. He is constantly putting us out there with more interesting content across multiple platforms. We've also hired somebody who handled branding for the Cowboys for like 20-30 years.

While DRad was overly focused on building facilities, Bobinski realizes this is big business and he needs to drive revenue for future reinvestment.
I've really liked the work Yandle has done so far. I'm hoping that Bobinski's other hires pay off as well .

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I know branding is important, but it definitely has its limits. You can't brand yourself into prominence; there has to be a product before you brand it. It's like Steve used to say, "We don't ship junk."

That's why the new administrative breaks on recruiting are so much more important, imho. You can see from this year's recruits (provided we keep them, that is) that trends there are in the right direction. Two more years of that and things will look very different on the field, especially on D.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Disagree a bit. Stanford and Vandy branded themselves before there was a product; Boise did too. We need to step it up or GA Southern may just pass us. They're going to dominate the Sun Belt and knock off a big boy every so often like Boise did and it'll build.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Disagree a bit. Stanford and Vandy branded themselves before there was a product; Boise did too. We need to step it up or GA Southern may just pass us. They're going to dominate the Sun Belt and knock off a big boy every so often like Boise did and it'll build.
Ga Southern brings in about 1/6th the revenue GT brings in. They pay their head coach about as much as most BCS teams pay their coordinators. They play in a conference that makes them about half a million a year in TV money compared to 20 million for BCS teams. They are lucky to get 20k attendance for a home game. I hope they do continue to improve and build a quality program but they aren't passing us any time soon, no matter how much UGA fans say they are.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If you aint pleased with the first half of the year you ain't ever gonna be happy. I'd grant him the extension. If you base extension on beating Clemson and UGA....both are better than us and we probably don't get those wins. Not saying we can't win but those two teams have a good bit more talent. If you don't agree with an extension who do you think we can hire who would do as well or better than CPJ? Very short list in my mind. And while I think = is possible I think new coach doing a better job is a long shot.

Extension will help him with next (2016) recruiting class also. Some of these kids will commit early. I hate dragging our feet on this.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I am a CPJ supporter, but I do want to see a little more before giving him an extension. If we can win the next two games on the road though I would be perfectly fine with it. A mid season extension is a little risky.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been a supporter of CPJ since the original hire, and I hope he stays as long as he wants... The man can flat out coach - he knows his scheme better than anyone else on Earth, and if your gonna run this offense, he's the one you want on the field... I love the offense, and I do think it maximizes what we can do with the players we're able to get... Defense has always been our Achilles heel, and I think CPJ has demonstrated that he'll do whatever is necessary to fix it... Same with recruiting - it hobbled us for a time, but now that the staff understands the issues and is working to get the right players here, I think we'll be perennial contenders for the Coastal - if not the ACC...

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
If you aint pleased with the first half of the year you ain't ever gonna be happy. I'd grant him the extension. If you base extension on beating Clemson and UGA....both are better than us and we probably don't get those wins. Not saying we can't win but those two teams have a good bit more talent. If you don't agree with an extension who do you think we can hire who would do as well or better than CPJ? Very short list in my mind. And while I think = is possible I think new coach doing a better job is a long shot.

Extension will help him with next (2016) recruiting class also. Some of these kids will commit early. I hate dragging our feet on this.

First of all: you don't grant an extension based on the first 5 games of the year. If you recall, we were 6-0 at the beginning of 2011 only to finish 8-5.
Second: Any extension, if there is one, should be with non-guaranteed years, as Globalbee said. Quite a few other schools don't guarantee 4, 5, 6, etc years of salary. Doing that only handicaps the athletic department if a decision is ever made to part ways with the coach.
Finally: I have never understood the argument postulated above. I've fired quite a few people who worked for me and weren't performing up to expected standards in my career. Not once..not a single time...have I ever thought, "Well, if I fire this person, who am I going to get who is better?".

When you make the determination that your guy isn't getting the job done, you let that person go. THEN, you see who is available at the time and you go forward from there. Rarely, there will be situations where there is a coach on a staff who is being groomed to replace the head guy. But, with the exception of Jimbo Fisher, that strategy seems to have backfired more often than it has succeeded.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think this game changes the conversation on giving him an extension or not. CPJ didn't lose the Duke game. I have blamed him for not putting us in a position to win before, but his one was not one of them. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out, and what he is able to do with such a young team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
First of all: you don't grant an extension based on the first 5 games of the year. If you recall, we were 6-0 at the beginning of 2011 only to finish 8-5.
Second: Any extension, if there is one, should be with non-guaranteed years, as Globalbee said. Quite a few other schools don't guarantee 4, 5, 6, etc years of salary. Doing that only handicaps the athletic department if a decision is ever made to part ways with the coach.
Finally: I have never understood the argument postulated above. I've fired quite a few people who worked for me and weren't performing up to expected standards in my career. Not once..not a single time...have I ever thought, "Well, if I fire this person, who am I going to get who is better?".

When you make the determination that your guy isn't getting the job done, you let that person go. THEN, you see who is available at the time and you go forward from there. Rarely, there will be situations where there is a coach on a staff who is being groomed to replace the head guy. But, with the exception of Jimbo Fisher, that strategy seems to have backfired more often than it has succeeded.
I was with you until we got to the business analogy and then your argument broke down for me. You kind of threw a red herring into the mix. Sure you fire someone who is not getting the job done. And of course, you never hang on to someone just because you think you cannot find someone else to hire. But that is not what people are suggesting when it comes to a coach at Tech. The issue, to use a terribly wooden analogy, would be to say that you had hired someone to sell ice cubes to Eskimos. He did not fail at the job but, under the rather obvious disadvantages of the job, kept the company going and had some modest success. Now the question is this, do I hang on to this guy even though I know that selling ice cubes to Eskimos is going to be a slow growth venture or do I sack him because there might be some unknown guy out there who has figured out not only how to sell ice cubes to Eskimos but to do it faster and better than anyone else we have ever had in the job and to do it so well that he actually begins to compete in annual sales with the guy who is selling ice cubes in the Caribbean? That is what I think people mean when they discuss firing CPJ for some unknown option.

I beg everyone's forgiveness if my analogy had racist or cultural biased overtones.