CPJ Coaches show

He literally says the same thing every single public appearance.

Now that I reread my post, I can see why people are jumping on me.

What I meant was...it seems like every game we have the same problems that result from the fact that the players didn't execute or that the coaches didn't do a good job, or any of the other things on the list. My point is that it sucks following this team year after year where we have to point out the same miscues/mistakes/miscommunications.

I didn't mean to say that Johnson spews the same stuff for the hell of it. I agree with everything he is saying, and it gets old that we have to hear the same truth week after week.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
And Dabo trusts his assistants to make the right decisions. I sorta doubt that he ever questions Venables' preparation for a game.

every single unit has HC review each game week. They go through personnel, grade outs, recommendations. My point is, is paul asleep or doesn't have these reviews? Because I swear to god, if I knew I was going against a fast return man, with 6-7 freshman or whatever it is, on my starting sp teams unit, of course I would say NFW. I am sorry. Every HC does this, and I am fairly certain paul does. So this is what makes me more infuriated by his comments.

he comments it like "its too many thats got to change" well, the kids didn't all of a sudden become young AFTER the game. They were young BEFORE the game. Its ridiculous.

that is simply not good coaching. Period. its not all about xs and os folks.

Well I don’t blame him. It’s the same stupid questions on repeat from half time of the previous game til kick off of the next game. What else can he say? My point is that he deflects blame like a champ.

I don't think he deflects blame. I think he pretty much says that everyone is to blame (players AND coaches). My point is...why have we been unable to fix things that seem to be a neverending recurring problem? I can accept being outmanned talent wise. "It is what it is" on that front for the time being. I just have to ask why are the "coaches not doing a good job" week after week after week? Why are players missing assignments week after week after week? There is a reason why the same questions are repeated on loop.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Oh I can handle it, I've got thick skin, it's not like he's offended me or anything, and I'm sure the kids aren't really bothered greatly by it, I just don't see the point in being rude in the media or throwing your players under the bus in public, I doubt it helps shed good light on GT for publicity or recruiting. Like I said, it just takes no extra effort to be cordial and answer questions in a kind way.
The fact is that -- since he is a golfer -- it is a gimme putt when he snarls at reporters that way. Because he knows they can't snarl back. They are helpless because they would not be on the beat 10 minutes if they engaged in like conduct with a jock coach. They can't, no matter how much they want to nor how much the coach deserves a verbal 2x4. And in that regard it makes him a bully. And he has made an enemy not merely of the guy he went off on but of the rest of them who have been sent a message themselves -- be nice to me or else -- and don't like it. He just put sugar in his own gas tank.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Behind closed doors at practice or in the locker room coaches cuss the players up and down. Saying in the media that you don't know why the players are doing something because they weren't taught to do it that way is a separate situation. He could handle himself better in the media and everyone knows it. I like CPJ, that doesn't mean he's perfect. He could easily improve in his relations in the media and the way he answers questions. In public don't blame anyone besides yourself. Enough said.

To each their own I guess. I have said this before, but I much prefer listening to a guy like CPJ (who is open and honest, but blunt and unapologetic) in press conferences and call-in shows than a guy like Pastner (who is extremely positive, energetic, and enthusiastic, but speaks only in cliches and provides virtually no substance).

In the end, it is all about winning. If he is not winning more, how he handles the media won't make a lick of difference. I think what you think about how CPJ handles press conferences is largely a rorschach test on how you feel about CPJ as our coach. Most that don't want him to be our coach anymore don't like him in press conferences. Most that still want him as our coach tend to like him in press conferences.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
To each their own I guess. I have said this before, but I much prefer listening to a guy like CPJ (who is open and honest, but blunt and unapologetic) in press conferences and call-in shows than a guy like Pastner (who is extremely positive, energetic, and enthusiastic, but speaks only in cliches and provides virtually no substance).

In the end, it is all about winning. If he is not winning more, how he handles the media won't make a lick of difference. I think what you think about how CPJ handles press conferences is largely a rorschach test on how you feel about CPJ as our coach. Most that don't want him to be our coach anymore don't like him in press conferences. Most that still want him as our coach tend to like him in press conferences.
Not true, at least for me. I've always liked CPJ, and most of the time I find him funny, but lately I feel like he's blamed everyone but himself. Even when he's blamed himself its been a half assed effort. After Saturday he's in show me mode, but really we can't do any better unless we landed a guy like Monken running the same type of system that might be able to recruit slightly better.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
what pisses me off about this radio show, is he talks about how clear it was too many freshman were on sp teams covg. Jeez man. What is he looking at game week then? If there are 6-7 on that team, and thats the plan, why wasn't it fixed prior to going to USF. Its classic reactionary correction. For me, its the first time I am literally sitting back wondering wtf he is doing during the week. Is it just offense? where it takes 2 returns for a TD to then focus on the makeup of the covg unit, realizing that there are like 7 freshman on it (or whatever number); then saying thats too many we gotta fix it.

I could have told you 2 weeks ago, its too many and would have had it fixed before game 1 if I was paid to do this. This loss. Is direct on him. He is not overseeing enough of the team and honestly, he kinda admits it. Which is sickening.

Its one of a few times I am extremely frustrated at the lack of oversight. And before every one piles on me, this isn't the first time under pauls tenure similar things have happened, where it only changed after being burnt a game, then he realizes it, and the only thing I can think is its because he is not paying attention to all units like he should.

When coaches do sp teams review they go, ok who is starting. And lets say lamar owes goes 7 RS and true Freshman. Why the f........ would paul go sounds good pre planning? No way. Because on the call in show he was like...thats just to many. You can't do that. YET YOU DID. So for me. Is he even reviewing this stuff? Its mind boggling.

rant off. Maybe I am being carried away with this, but I dont' think so. Its a big miss on his end and its square on him for the loss.

CPJ has said many times that he will trust his coaches until they give him a reason not to. He said that he would never want to work for a boss that questioned his every decision and didn't let him do his job his own way. I assume he believes the position and ST coaches that specialized in these teams have a good idea of the personnel and are in the best position to determine strategy for those groups. Now, when it is clear that things aren't working (like with Groh and Roof), CPJ will step in and do more micromanagement. But until then, his philosophy is to let them do the job they were hired for. Like it or not, that philosophy of trusting his assistants will be what either brings him success or gets him fired. (As others have mentioned, I suspect Dabo has the exact same policy, he just has assistants that are paid 2-3 times higher than ours, which makes it easier.)

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Not true, at least for me. I've always liked CPJ, and most of the time I find him funny, but lately I feel like he's blamed everyone but himself. Even when he's blamed himself its been a half assed effort. After Saturday he's in show me mode, but really we can't do any better unless we landed a guy like Monken running the same type of system that might be able to recruit slightly better.

Based on your posts over the last month, it seems pretty clear to me that you have tired on CPJ and are ready for him to go. That unsurprisingly seems to correspond with when you say you grew tired of his antics. (Maybe I am wrong?)

Personally, I see no difference in how much accountability he takes after a loss than early in his tenure. He repeatedly stated in every interview since USF that there are things he could do better and that he is ultimately responsible. I feel that he is being honest and believes that -- even if he also thinks others could improve as well.

[Edit for one clarification. I do think he stood very strong on his decision to put Marshall back in the game in the 4th quarter and "rudely" refused to agree with the question suggesting that was a bad decision. However, in that instance, that is what the coach should say. First, I think he probably made the right decision. But, second, and more importantly, he absolutely 100% should stand behind his starting QB and, even if he now believes that was the wrong decision (which I don't think he does), he should never say that out loud to the media. That truly would be throwing a kid under the bus and potentially sacrificing his confidence and their trust. Marshall is our staring QB and I love the coach standing up for him and showing confidence in him.]

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Weird how 2 people can hear the same thing so differently. I've never heard CPJ blame himself even remotely as much as he has after the Pittsburgh game.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Based on your posts over the last month, it seems pretty clear to me that you have tired on CPJ and are ready for him to go. That unsurprisingly seems to correspond with when you say you grew tired of his antics. (Maybe I am wrong?)

Personally, I see no difference in how much accountability he takes after a loss than early in his tenure. He repeatedly stated in every interview since USF that there are things he could do better and that he is ultimately responsible. I feel that he is being honest and believes that -- even if he also thinks others could improve as well.

[Edit for one clarification. I do think he stood very strong on his decision to put Marshall back in the game in the 4th quarter and "rudely" refused to agree with the question suggesting that was a bad decision. However, in that instance, that is what the coach should say. First, I think he probably made the right decision. But, second, and more importantly, he absolutely 100% should stand behind his starting QB and, even if he now believes that was the wrong decision (which I don't think he does), he should never say that out loud to the media. That truly would be throwing a kid under the bus and potentially sacrificing his confidence and their trust. Marshall is our staring QB and I love the coach standing up for him and showing confidence in him.]
Hmm, I'm not sure.. I just went and looked at all of my posts over the last few months and don't see anything negative other than on this thread and the USF postgame thread, but maybe I am souring on him after Saturday. It's on him that we lost Saturday, and it was on him that we lost the Tenn game last year. I've always been a fan, I think he maximizes our chances to win at GT, I just think he could and should try to improve his media relations, and I never agree with blaming anything on players in public, I just don't think it's the right thing to do.

every single unit has HC review each game week. They go through personnel, grade outs, recommendations. My point is, is paul asleep or doesn't have these reviews? Because I swear to god, if I knew I was going against a fast return man, with 6-7 freshman or whatever it is, on my starting sp teams unit, of course I would say NFW. I am sorry. Every HC does this, and I am fairly certain paul does. So this is what makes me more infuriated by his comments.

he comments it like "its too many thats got to change" well, the kids didn't all of a sudden become young AFTER the game. They were young BEFORE the game. Its ridiculous.

that is simply not good coaching. Period. its not all about xs and os folks.
Pretty sure Johnson has post-game / pre-game reviews with his assistants too. Post-game, he lets them know what was wrong, didn't work, or needs improvement, and pre-game, he expects them and trusts them to have fixed what he said in the post-game of the previous game. If he is satisfied with the pre-game plans, then he is content until it's either proven that those pre-game plans didn't work, or that the pre-game plans weren't adhered to by either the assistants or the players. If he is not satisfied with the pre-game plans, then I assume he tells them at that point that they need to do something differently. But he does not micro-manage.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

I think Pastner is great for our program right now, but I cannot stand listening to his radio show and press conferences. I much much prefer blunt honesty from coaches.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Throwing players under the bus ??? GIVE ME A BREAK. There is a BIG difference between pointing out the failures of a specific group of players to execute properly and actually calling out an individual player for screwing up. That latter action would be throwing someone under the bus, and you have NEVER NEVER NEVER heard Paul Johnson call out a specific player for doing something wrong.
He threw Qua under the bus.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

As long as you say "largely" and "most" you get a pass. I think Johnson is a great offensive coach and the only one around who created, invented one might say, an offense, though Kelly now at UCLA came close, but even he wouldn't get away from the sacred cow of tight ends. I love the option offense. I love the way he competes through the last bell, whether he has starters or No. 3 guys in there., they get coached. Being stiff or stern or outspoken or direct doesn't bother me. Bullying and his anxiousness to project the "I'm the smartest guy in the room" persona does. (Although he may well be; I don't know who is in the room.) It is uncalled for and unbecoming of a coach at a major institution with the history and tradition of Georgia Tech. That, I do not like.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Agree to disagree. I thought it could have been handled better. I do agree that I doubt the kids in the locker room have a problem with it. I like CPJ for the most part and I'm sure the players love him, but perception in the media is important and being a good interviewee could only help recruiting and publicity for us.

Does anyone seriously believe that college football players have never been “challenged” as they grew up to perform at a high level? I doubt they have been coddled to the extent that some people on this board would suppose. These players are men and men take responsibility for their actions.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
For the most part, I don't disagree with what you are saying. I wonder, however, how other HC's handle things like this. I would imagine that generally a HC trusts his assistants to make the right decisions and doesn't micromanage unless he has to. After all, no HC can know every single thing that is going on, even though it would seem like he should.
That is what I have been saying for a while, though not in so many words. At this point in his tenure as a HC , mismanagement , lack of preparation, constant breakdowns in OL line play , way underdeveloped passing game, losing games in the 4th qtr, lack of an adequate response by us when we get behind late , are NOT things that should continue to be problems , seemingly without being able to fix year to year. In some ways he reminds me of some coaches who won't , or CAN'T , make changes in asst. coaches or scheme when needed. I still think Woody will turn out to be a good hire , if he gets the right players. But in my judgement , in the past when we have not had an ST coach , we have been burnt. CPJ also admitted AFTER the game he should have substituted more in the heat and humidity. Why didn't he ? Have his teams NEVER played in those conditions ? At Ga. Southern ? At Hawaii ? The only sensible reason I can think of is he has worries about his "ready to play depth. " And that goes back to recruiting/teaching ( lack of both ) that I have commented on ad nauseum.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone seriously believe that college football players have never been “challenged” as they grew up to perform at a high level? I doubt they have been coddled to the extent that some people on this board would suppose. These players are men and men take responsibility for their actions.
This I agree with. By the time you compete for a major scholarship offer you have been toughened up. To the degree it is harder is a function I think of the new level. Everybody on that roster in college is one of the best of his HS team and sheer athletic ability won't get you by any more.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone thinks that if they've played football. I just think CPJ could and should do a better job with the media. There is zero reason to be a condescending jerk vs being a nice guy in the media and I don't think players should ever be blamed publicly. Just my opinion.