GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Missed assignments
Got to play better
Got to coach better
It’s my responsibility
But really the players need to play better
The other coaches need to coach better
But it’s my responsibility....but come on.

I am also terribly confused. What do you want him to say? "I am a terrible coach and don't know what I am doing. They players and assistant coaches were all perfect and literally could not have done any better. I should resign in shame." Is that what you would like for him to say?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
He literally says the same thing every single public appearance.

Except he literally doesn't. Again, if you actual listen to his press conferences, he is extremely informative and interesting when he gets good questions. Most coaches (including Pastner) tend to speak in total cliches. CPJ doesn't always, and that is refreshing. I thought listening to him break down what went wrong on kickoff coverage and how we plan to fix it was really great stuff that gave me better knowledge and insight.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Coaches are like politicians. Some have a good line of BS and an ability to win friends and influence people, others are straight shooters and tend to piss off a significant portion of the audience. PJ falls closer to the second description. In either case there are usually a group of loyal supporters as well as a group that loathe you. In our society the negative rules the day and is further amplified by the media and social media. At the end of the day, what is important is results, wins and losses. That is what a politician and or a coach should be judged on. The rest is noise. I have learned over my many years on the planet to rule out the noise and look at the results. I think more and more people are getting tired of the noise. I like the trend,

Go Jackets!

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Even with the anger and disappointment of Saturday's fiasco -- and I don't think anybody can or should dress it up as anything else -- we shouldn't overlook the offense that generated more than 600 yards, and 183 of that was passing, a real upgrade and in normal times a game changer. And that Marshall was 9 for 18 throwing mostly downfield. Made me glad that eating crow is just an expression. It was mostly dark, but there was a glimmer in there. I think Pittsburgh becomes, this early in the season, our make-the-season game. Lose Saturday and it can be a rough downhill ride.
My question is this....without the two kickoff returns for touchdown....would we have had 600 yards of offense of the 10 minute advantage in time of possession? Seems like everybody is jumping up and down celebrating great offensive yards and TOP numbers without acknowledging that the numbers are wildly skewed because we gave the other team 14 points without them having to expend any time/effort on offense. If USF had to work for those 14 points with sustained drives - we might have had 450 yards of offense and an even time of possession for the game.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
My question is this....without the two kickoff returns for touchdown....would we have had 600 yards of offense of the 10 minute advantage in time of possession? Seems like everybody is jumping up and down celebrating great offensive yards and TOP numbers without acknowledging that the numbers are wildly skewed because we gave the other team 14 points without them having to expend any time/effort on offense. If USF had to work for those 14 points with sustained drives - we might have had 450 yards of offense and an even time of possession for the game.

I don’t think you can say “wildly skewed” since USF could’ve gone three and out on those two drives. Since they run tempo, that might’ve been as little as 2 or 3 minutes of game clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Coaches are like politicians. Some have a good line of BS and an ability to win friends and influence people, others are straight shooters and tend to piss off a significant portion of the audience. PJ falls closer to the second description. In either case there are usually a group of loyal supporters as well as a group that loathe you. In our society the negative rules the day and is further amplified by the media and social media. At the end of the day, what is important is results, wins and losses. That is what a politician and or a coach should be judged on. The rest is noise. I have learned over my many years on the planet to rule out the noise and look at the results. I think more and more people are getting tired of the noise. I like the trend,

Go Jackets!
Damn. Couldn't have said it any better.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think you can say “wildly skewed” since USF could’ve gone three and out on those two drives. Since they run tempo, that might’ve been as little as 2 or 3 minutes of game clock.

We won't ever know. The bottom line is we got two extra possession on offense because we gave up 14 points in kick-off returns. Just think....we scored 17 points on our first 3 possessions and if we had forced USF to execute on offense (with 3 and outs as you speculate) instead of giving them points on kick-offs, we might have been ahead 17-0 at the end of the first and maybe 17 to 7 at the half. Totally different game if we execute on special teams.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
. If USF had to work for those 14 points with sustained drives - we might have had 450 yards of offense and an even time of possession for the game.
And we might have had more. No one knows. I don’t like playing the “if” card. After all, as I’ve said before, if “if’s” were touchdowns, UGA would be national champion every year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You might have a point but I got to study on it, but in the meantime, would you take 450 yards of offense?

Dirty Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I am also terribly confused. What do you want him to say? "I am a terrible coach and don't know what I am doing. They players and assistant coaches were all perfect and literally could not have done any better. I should resign in shame." Is that what you would like for him to say?

See my post before this? I don’t care what he says. It’s all BS in different flavors. I want to have more points than the other team. Don’t give a crap how we get there. Good coaching, good play, or luck.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Acting like Bill Belicheck is fine when you win, but not as fun of a shtick when you can't field a defense or ST. The way he treats reporters etc is annoying to say the least. There are ways to answer these questions without throwing anyone under the bus, or without being a jerk. Some will say that isn't his job, and that's fine, but in my opinion there is no reason to act this way. Plenty of great coaches are nice and answer questions politely. Dabo and Jimbo are both great about this.

Q: "What happened with ST this week?"
A: "We had a lot of young guys out there, and we missed some assignments, our staff will do a better job in the coming weeks and the players will improve, I love these guys. We had mental mistakes by the coaches and players. I have faith that we will get it corrected."

Q: "Coach how was practice today?"
A: "It was good, we had good energy out there. Several plays were made by ______ and the kicker did a nice job today, we need to work on our DL play, and we're trying to implement some new stuff that, but overall it was a good practice"

Final take: Overall it's easy to be a nice guy, but for whatever reason he just can't seem to do it. It takes no extra effort to be nice and not throw people under the bus. If you win championships like Nick and Bill I guess you can do what you want, otherwise stop being a ****.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Acting like Bill Belicheck is fine when you win, but not as fun of a shtick when you can't field a defense or ST. The way he treats reporters etc is annoying to say the least. There are ways to answer these questions without throwing anyone under the bus, or without being a jerk. Some will say that isn't his job, and that's fine, but in my opinion there is no reason to act this way. Plenty of great coaches are nice and answer questions politely. Dabo and Jimbo are both great about this.

A: "We had a lot of young guys out there, and we missed some assignments, our staff will do a better job in the coming weeks and the players will improve, I love these guys. We had mental mistakes by the coaches and players. I have faith that we will get it corrected."

A: "It was good, we had good energy out there. Several plays were made by ______ and the kicker did a nice job today, we need to work on our DL play, and we're trying to implement some new stuff that, but overall it was a good practice"

Final take: Overall it's easy to be a nice guy, but for whatever reason he just can't seem to do it. It takes no extra effort to be nice and not throw people under the bus. If you win championships like Nick and Bill I guess you can do what you want, otherwise stop being a ****.

I’m not hearing him being a jerk; I’m hearing him tell it like it is. I’d much rather listen to a straight shooter than someone who tries to put lipstick on a pig. I can handle anything he says and if these young men are GT students, they can handle it too.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
They averaged 3 minutes per possession in the first half, if you throw out their first possession with the turnover. So throw out the last 6 minutes of the second quarter where we picked up about 50 yards and zero points. We still have 550 yards.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I’m not hearing him being a jerk; I’m hearing him tell it like it is. I’d much rather listen to a straight shooter than someone who tries to put lipstick on a pig. I can handle anything he says and if these young men are GT students, they can handle it too.

Oh I can handle it, I've got thick skin, it's not like he's offended me or anything, and I'm sure the kids aren't really bothered greatly by it, I just don't see the point in being rude in the media or throwing your players under the bus in public, I doubt it helps shed good light on GT for publicity or recruiting. Like I said, it just takes no extra effort to be cordial and answer questions in a kind way.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

My issue with this is, Nick and Bill don’t act that way because of their pedigree, they do it because it’s their personality. No difference than what CPJ does, I’m not saying I like it(it bothers me at time), but if it’s wrong when CPJ does it then it’s wrong when Nick and Bill do it. BTW isn’t CPj friends with both of those guys? Also if you notice, imo a lot of the times CPJ acts like that is when it’s questions being asked the reporters know good and well he won’t answer, or it’s comes across as if they are baiting to get a specific answer instead of just asking something straight up. In those instances it’s almost like he take offence and it come across rude for them to even ask and so in return he gives it right back to them. (Not saying it makes it right) that’s just how I see it.