CPJ Coaches show

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yeah he’s not worried about his arm. He is worried about his reads and seeing onen receivers. Color me a tad concerned on this but it is correctable.

TM is fearless running the ball. He needs to bring that mindset on passing plays also but I think he’s playing tight and pressing on pass plays.
Agree, I don’t think the game has slowed down for him when it comes to passing. Imo he might be making it harder mentally than he needs to.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah he’s not worried about his arm. He is worried about his reads and seeing onen receivers. Color me a tad concerned on this but it is correctable.

TM is fearless running the ball. He needs to bring that mindset on passing plays also but I think he’s playing tight and pressing on pass plays.

There are a lot of athletic skills that can be improved upon through coaching and repetition. However, I have always believed that anything involving "touch" or 'feel" - passing, shooting a BB, putting - are skills you either have or don't (for the most part). I think getting TM from 38% to 45% would represent a significant change. Yes, i know that we run high risk routes but I believe there are guys who could hit 55% in this offense.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you. When the fans can't speak to you live, then you get a lot of softball questions from the host.

I get your point but fans usually don't ask good questions either. Most of the time the questions are like "why aren't you recruiting better players" or "I think you're wrong for playing TaQuon". Those aren't legit questions - they're either impossible to answer without taking a shot at someone or a statement of the person's opinion. I think PJ did a good job of explaining what he saw from the tape on the game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of athletic skills that can be improved upon through coaching and repetition. However, I have always believed that anything involving "touch" or 'feel" - passing, shooting a BB, putting - are skills you either have or don't (for the most part). I think getting TM from 38% to 45% would represent a significant change. Yes, i know that we run high risk routes but I believe there are guys who could hit 55% in this offense.
Shot doctors, baseball schools and QB gurus and short game coaches make bajillions every year, working with kids as young as 12 or so on fundamentals of footwork, weight shift, grip, follow-through, and the mechanics involved. If you have the touch you're ahead of the game, but that's about all it means without everything else. In a former life in my beloved air corps a captain who played basketball at Washington State fixed a jump shot I had struggled with through four years of HS. Took him 30 minutes and me hours of practice but I still had it years later in pickup games. (I don't think Tom Brady is even an athlete, but he has all the repeatable mechanics and the touch, and as a pro QB he doesn't have to be.)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

He is currently at 50% for the year. Even with the bad 1st half of the Alcorn State game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He is currently at 50% for the year. Even with the bad 1st half of the Alcorn State game.
Even with the anger and disappointment of Saturday's fiasco -- and I don't think anybody can or should dress it up as anything else -- we shouldn't overlook the offense that generated more than 600 yards, and 183 of that was passing, a real upgrade and in normal times a game changer. And that Marshall was 9 for 18 throwing mostly downfield. Made me glad that eating crow is just an expression. It was mostly dark, but there was a glimmer in there. I think Pittsburgh becomes, this early in the season, our make-the-season game. Lose Saturday and it can be a rough downhill ride.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Even with the anger and disappointment of Saturday's fiasco -- and I don't think anybody can or should dress it up as anything else -- we shouldn't overlook the offense that generated more than 600 yards, and 183 of that was passing, a real upgrade and in normal times a game changer. And that Marshall was 9 for 18 throwing mostly downfield. Made me glad that eating crow is just an expression. It was mostly dark, but there was a glimmer in there. I think Pittsburgh becomes, this early in the season, our make-the-season game. Lose Saturday and it can be a rough downhill ride.

8 freshman on the kick rush team against a return guy with 10.1ish speed ( My buddy who is not much of a football fan said - that guy is way faster than your guys. ) was a bad plan. Oh well I hope the ast coach can do a better job of getting the right mix.
I hope it won't happen again.

Coach also said we may have played to many young guys in defense. I enjoyed seeing 52 true fresh - justice single get so pt . He has the build to be a specimen at DE.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow

Gotta disagree a bit on the part about touch. I’ve found that touch comes from experience and practice. I think an athlete can develop and refine it with enough good repetitions. I’ll agree that there are some people that don’t have it at all, but those people are not collegiate athletes.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Gotta disagree a bit on the part about touch. I’ve found that touch comes from experience and practice. I think an athlete can develop and refine it with enough good repetitions. I’ll agree that there are some people that don’t have it at all, but those people are not collegiate athletes.

we will have to disagree. I believe most of it is inherent. Look at the PGA....all of those guys have spent years on the range, on the practice green, playing in junior amateur tourneys since they were 11 yo. What separates the guys that most people who aren't golf fans know about (Phil, Tiger, Spieth, etc.) from the 45th guy on the money list who can walk through the ATL airport unimpeded is the innate ability to get the ball in the hole via the short game (touch). This year, the 45th guy on the money list is Beau Hossier. Ever hear of him? Me either.

As far as TM and his 50%, that is awesome and I hope he sustains it. But the guys who have innate touch aren't hitting that at the 2nd game mark in their senior year. For example, Dan Marino, who was a great passer hit 59% as a FR at Pitt. Some kid named Tom Brady at Michigan threw for 60% as a FR. As I said, coaching and work does help...but much of it comes from the good Lord above.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
we will have to disagree. I believe most of it is inherent. Look at the PGA....all of those guys have spent years on the range, on the practice green, playing in junior amateur tourneys since they were 11 yo. What separates the guys that most people who aren't golf fans know about (Phil, Tiger, Spieth, etc.) from the 45th guy on the money list who can walk through the ATL airport unimpeded is the innate ability to get the ball in the hole via the short game (touch). This year, the 45th guy on the money list is Beau Hossier. Ever hear of him? Me either.

As far as TM and his 50%, that is awesome and I hope he sustains it. But the guys who have innate touch aren't hitting that at the 2nd game mark in their senior year. For example, Dan Marino, who was a great passer hit 59% as a FR at Pitt. Some kid named Tom Brady at Michigan threw for 60% as a FR. As I said, coaching and work does help...but much of it comes from the good Lord above.
Now, wait. You can build a case on his junior and senior years when he threw about 200 times. But as a freshman completing 60%? This is called disingenuous. He was 3-for-5. Marino? The only QB in the world who could get to abandon the running game.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If we have a QB hit 60% for the season on the types of passes we throw then we will have the most dominant offense in the country and will make the CFP. We throw downfield SO much...most QBs have inflated numbers because they dump off short passes for the majority of their throws. Most of our passes are 15+ yards down field...with a ton of them being PA deep throws. It’s tough to complete that stuff. If Taquon finishes at 50% we will have a damn good year on the offensive side of the ball....

...now if our special teams and defense keep looking like they did Saturday we still may have a bad record in that scenario...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Against our o the safeties have major run support responsibilities. When we pass it's supposed to be to the best choice of one on one coverage.
I think 50% is very doable.