CPJ 9AM Retirement Press Conference

Deleted member 2897

I think Todd’s reaction to your second point is proof that he was blindsided by CPJ’s decision to retire. I think Todd doesn’t want to pick up the phone until he decides how he wants to move forward. To your point, someone needs to call these potential coaches back. Coaching at GT seems like a tough job and we don’t want to miss a good prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just listened to the press conference - Paul spoke to him several games ago and told him he was thinking about quitting - how it was a grind, "drudgery", etc. He was probably only surprised in that we went 6-2 down the stretch and figured that would change Coach's mind.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I think Todd’s reaction to your second point is proof that he was blindsided by CPJ’s decision to retire. I think Todd doesn’t want to pick up the phone until he decides how he wants to move forward. To your point, someone needs to call these potential coaches back. Coaching at GT seems like a tough job and we don’t want to miss a good prospect.

CPJ Talks about how early season he was already in Talks with Tstan about how this wasn't fun for him anymore, had another meeting mid season and then one prior to the UGA game.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This has probably been posted on another thread already, but I think this speaks to the type of personal relationships with the players that was discussed on the call.

We had a player recently who lost one of his parents (Jerry Howard? can't remember) I believe between when he committed and when he got to campus. I think that is what he was referring to here:

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Yeah TStan was completely caught flatfooted:rolleyes: I hope that he's got a potential head coach list in his desk and doesn't hand off to a college football head coach search firm:cigar:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I just listened to the press conference - Paul spoke to him several games ago and told him he was thinking about quitting - how it was a grind, "drudgery", etc. He was probably only surprised in that we went 6-2 down the stretch and figured that would change Coach's mind.
I have not heard the press conference but if he told the AD this a few weeks ago then The AD should have a list of people to talk to if not he dropped the ball.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I don’t agree with anything being a certainty.
I don't look at things as certainties either. I always look at things from a statistical perspective. We need an offense that is different since we cant compete straight up with the big boys. FYI, that is why I like CNW's defense.

If we try to drastically change the offense from what we have, the odds are strongly against us over the next two years. There will be lots of "We need to get recruits in for the system we are running" or "The first year we are trying to get the base level plays mastered before adding the good stuff"

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Ugh. I missed the first half because I couldn’t find a link.

Milwaukee

Banned
I am really worried. Some of our "Fans" are about to set us back 10 years. I hope they are happy with the crap that is probably about to come. Think we were irrelevant before? Look at this exciting offense as we knock out 4-6 wins a year. I really wish I could step away from Tech football because I don't want to have to suffer the coming maelstrom, unless they hire one of CPJ's coaches. Monken would be good.

Bye.

Deleted member 2897

I don't look at things as certainties either. I always look at things from a statistical perspective. We need an offense that is different since we cant compete straight up with the big boys. FYI, that is why I like CNW's defense.

If we try to drastically change the offense from what we have, the odds are strongly against us over the next two years. There will be lots of "We need to get recruits in for the system we are running" or "The first year we are trying to get the base level plays mastered before adding the good stuff"

That didn't happen the last time we changed coaches. I wouldn't be so sure.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I don’t agree with anything being a certainty.

Maybe “certainty” was too strong of a word. History tells us that most coaching changes usually come with a period of down times. Not only are we losing a head coach but we are also losing an offensive coordinator. In addition, if we don’t hire another coach that runs this same offense, we will be trying to run a new offense with our TO recruits.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Maybe “certainty” was too strong of a word. History tells us that most coaching changes usually come with a period of down times. Not only are we losing a head coach but we are also losing an offensive coordinator. In addition, if we don’t hire another coach that runs this same offense, we will be trying to run a new offense with our TO recruits.

It takes a new head coach a few years to get the players to run his style of offense