CPJ 9AM Retirement Press Conference

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
You guys realize that he stepped down/retired and not fired right?

Some people are worried one of the factors in his decision to do this was because his seat was constantly warm because our fanbase didn’t like his offense. Not quite sure I believe it, but I also wouldn’t be shocked if there was some truth to it.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Stansburry has it right we need someone that is able to sell their system for Tech. He said he doesn't care what kind of offense we run, but he wants someone who has a vision for it. We need someone with a slight unique twist on it to gives us an extra advantage. I love the triple, but I want the best coach for the job regardless of system. If it's a triple option coach fine, if it's Neal Brown and an air raid bring it on. I'll root for Tech players regardless.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I use this only as an analogy, but it is pretty apropos.

The left, when they want to shut down honest and respectful debate, they yell "racism", "bigot", or some other "ism".

When those who disliked PJ and his system here some of our GT families' concern for the future, they just use the word "negativism" or "negative" or "negativity" to try to shut it down, and in some cases, go to "name" calling. I don't agree with emotional and useless name calling on either side of the debate, but also those that are happy should ignore those of us who are concerned. If you disagree, state that respectively and why, and then leave it when both side disagree.

Again, these items that Mountain mentioned are facts (maybe they feel like "negative" facts" to those who are happy to see PJ go), but they REAL facts. Whether they hinder our success going forward is a debate that will be played out soon, but they have definitely hindered us historically, and they have both grown in their effectiveness against us.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We were just at a very critical junction and needed one to two more years. I really don't think most people understand the true limitations Tech gives a head coach and how much worse it has gotten during CPJ's time-frame.

Just one or two years for what? The next backup to be the chosen one who will give us a solid passing attack? The 4th DC to finally be the one to give us a a competent defense in year 13? The limitations exist but some people overblow them in order to defend a coach who had the same issues pretty much every year for a decade.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

The left, when they want to shut down honest and respectful debate, they yell "racism", "bigot", or some other "ism".

When those who disliked PJ and his system here some of our GT families' concern for the future, they just use the word "negativism" or "negative" or "negativity" to try to shut it down, and in some cases, go to "name" calling.

Again, these items that Mountain mentioned are facts (maybe they feel like "negative" facts" to those who are happy to see PJ go), but they REAL facts. Whether they hinder our success going forward is a debate that will be played out soon, but they have definitely hindered us historically, and they have both grown in their effectiveness against us.
If that's the case along with attendance problems GT will be dropping to FCS in the next 10-15 years in football:cigar:

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck

When those who disliked PJ and his system here some of our GT families' concern for the future, they just use the word "negativism" or "negative" or "negativity" to try to shut it down, and in some cases, go to "name" calling. I don't agree with emotional and useless name calling on either side of the debate, but also those that are happy should ignore those of us who are concerned. If you disagree, state that respectively and why, and then leave it when both side disagree.

You know there are other offenses besides the PJ offense that we can be successful in. I think most people replying to the concerned people are just wondering what is the point of being so concerned? PJ left on his own, it's not like we fired him. I guess some people just love coming on internet message boards to let everyone know how we shouldn't be optimistic about anything since GT is just so hard and impossible to improve without PJ's offense.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
You guys realize that he stepped down/retired and not fired right?

Yes we understand he stepped down but my question to you is this, AFTER watching this press conference do you think he stepped down because he doesn't want to coach anymore ? If he still wants to coach (which I believe he does) then he stepped down due to a lack of support, that deficit originates from the school in my view.

Deleted member 2897

This has probably been posted on another thread already, but I think this speaks to the type of personal relationships with the players that was discussed on the call.

We had a player recently who lost one of his parents (Jerry Howard? can't remember) I believe between when he committed and when he got to campus. I think that is what he was referring to here:

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This has probably been posted on another thread already, but I think this speaks to the type of personal relationships with the players that was discussed on the call.

We had a player recently who lost one of his parents (Jerry Howard? can't remember) I believe between when he committed and when he got to campus. I think that is what he was referring to here:

Yes, Jerry Howard's Father was murdered during his HS senior year.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
He's gone, man. Negativity solves nothing.

@MountainBuzzMan looks like a realist to me, not a pessimist. It seems like a certainty that the next couple of years will be bad. What isn’t uncertain is how long it will continue.

By the way, we could have Vince Lombardi coaching us in 2020 and I don’t think we will break even against that schedule...UCF, ND, Clemson, UGA, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I REEEEALLY like Todd, but a couple things have surprised me.
1) Essentially saying Danny Hall can stay as long as he likes.
2) Today he said he's gotten a lot of calls from coaches around the country who are interested in speaking, but he hasn't returned anybody's call yet. I understand he's got 1,000 things to do with respect to the media, Georgia Tech, and Paul Johnson, but it seems like at 7pm when he's done he should at least return the calls to say thanks for your interest and give me a couple days - or have an assistant do it on his behalf.

I think Todd’s reaction to your second point is proof that he was blindsided by CPJ’s decision to retire. I think Todd doesn’t want to pick up the phone until he decides how he wants to move forward. To your point, someone needs to call these potential coaches back. Coaching at GT seems like a tough job and we don’t want to miss a good prospect.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
@MountainBuzzMan looks like a realist to me, not a pessimist. It seems like a certainty that the next couple of years will be bad. What isn’t uncertain is how long it will continue.

By the way, we could have Vince Lombardi coaching us in 2020 and I don’t think we will break even against that schedule...UCF, ND, Clemson, UGA, etc.

I don’t agree with anything being a certainty.