CPJ 9AM Retirement Press Conference

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of. CPJ name-checked D-Rad and TStan during his statement. No mention of the other guy.

I seriously wonder if TStan came straight after D-Rad if we’d be having this conversation. CPJ point blank said this would have happened earlier if TStan didn’t show up, so it makes you wonder how much was taken out of him during the Sasquatch times.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You know there are other offenses besides the PJ offense that we can be successful in. I think most people replying to the concerned people are just wondering what is the point of being so concerned? PJ left on his own, it's not like we fired him. I guess some people just love coming on internet message boards to let everyone know how we shouldn't be optimistic about anything since GT is just so hard and impossible to improve without PJ's offense.

Yes, there are other offenses that might/could be successful with lesser talent, H-wade, and I am hoping we find one. I am also glad a man I greatly appreciate and admire got to go out on his own terms. Thank you for these optimistic statements.

No problem with these opinions being expressed. Also, no problem with saying these are "optimistic" views, but just throwing out the word "negative" when the "optimist" hears facts about the current state of CFB and the Institute's difficulties is not a way to debate, it is more a way to try and shut it down, and when slurs or name calling become part of it, then that is not what this board is about. There is one for that, and I would recommend some of those here consider using that board for their emotional attacks.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I seriously wonder if TStan came straight after D-Rad if we’d be having this conversation. CPJ point blank said this would have happened earlier if TStan didn’t show up, so it makes you wonder how much was taken out of him during the Sasquatch times.
Makes you wonder how much was taken out of the whole athletic association during Sasquatch era. That will be viewed in hindsight as one of the worst hires in the history of Tech for its overall effect on the health of athletics

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Makes you wonder how much was taken out of the whole athletic association during Sasquatch era. That will be viewed in hindsight as one of the worst hires in the history of Tech for its overall effect on the health of athletics

I wonder how much he set us back. It sort of makes me sick thinking about what CPJ could have potentially done with D-Rad or TStan for 11 years.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

BS. MBob was hired to make the decision to hire a new BB coach. The coach he hired won ACC CoY in year one. May not work out in the long run but we'll be in a better situation if we have to fire CJP than when we hired him from pretty much every aspect. And the problems that CPJ had that led people to become disillusioned with him aren't recent and predate MBob. MBob isn't to be blamed for bad defenses and poor passing game.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Who is it that must accept the main responsibility for hiring Sasquatch? Peterson?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
To me, this was obvious during the Pitt game. That first half of football was the worst I've seen a Tech team look in a long time, and yet it seemed to me that CPJ was disengaged relative to his normal intensity. I even made the comment to my dad that I hoped he retired at the end of the season so this didn't turn into a Steve Spurrier at USCe situation.

I felt that too during the Pitt game. That was the worst coached team we had put on the field in years, certainly under CPJ. Post game and other times during the season he seemed frustrated with how the players were executing the gameplan...like what they were doing in practice was having no affect on the game. That has to be extremely difficult to manage when you are responsible for what is on the field. That's what I would call "not fun" anymore.

That being said...he (and presumably the seniors) pulled the team out of the ditch it was headed towards and ended up with a season that was much better than where they where after game 3 or 4. If he knew he was going to retire at that point, it speaks to how much of a standup man CPJ is to see things through like that.

herb

Helluva Engineer
BS. MBob was hired to make the decision to hire a new BB coach. The coach he hired won ACC CoY in year one. May not work out in the long run but we'll be in a better situation if we have to fire CJP than when we hired him from pretty much every aspect. And the problems that CPJ had that led people to become disillusioned with him aren't recent and predate MBob. MBob isn't to be blamed for bad defenses and poor passing game.
Are you really saying that the athletic department was well run under him? Are all the stories you hear about him not showing up made up? There was little fund raising he initiated. There was NO recruiting support. The hire he made isn’t a home run by any means. (Perhaps you disagree and I would probably defer to you as my interest in basketball has gone down quite a bit and I follow it only very loosely). I stand by my assertion that he was horrible

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think some of you guys are assuming the worst about TS. There really isn’t anything he said to indicate he wasn’t prepared for this. I think we as Tech fans have trained ourselves to assume the worst.

1. The non packaged answers by t stan were great.

2. The way the future hall of fame coach went out - thanking t stan for making it fun again ( but "I am just tired" ) and he listens/ gets it is a door opener.

3. T stan saying - want to here candidte's plan and not just a scheme.

ALL THESE SET STAGE FOR FIRST CALL AND FOLLOWING MEETINGS.

CLASSIC
Tstan was announced as our AD at halftime of 16 Clemson game. We had 25 yes and they had 23 points iirc.

Tstan has to hire new coach after uga scored 45 offensive points and we s ore 0 offensively.

May I have another!

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
If that's the case, he should have not taken so long to fire CBG. Not buying that. I heard he was brought in as an opposite to DRad, who piled up a massive debt on building facilities. They wanted someone who was more financially conservative.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Are you really saying that the athletic department was well run under him? Are all the stories you hear about him not showing up made up? There was little fund raising he initiated. There was NO recruiting support. The hire he made isn’t a home run by any means. (Perhaps you disagree and I would probably defer to you as my interest in basketball has gone down quite a bit and I follow it only very loosely). I stand by my assertion that he was horrible
I feel that Coach is a man's man type. He doesn't go complain and tell the ad what's needed.
Mbob did not seek him out ( as far as I know) per the interview.

How hard is it - hey we won a number of big games w virtually no recruiting, so if we add recruiting we could win a heck of a lot more.

Like in all organizations - communication is key. So - who is responsible to see that AD and coach are communicating- the prez. The second ad is communicating.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member