@Cowardly Castrated Turkeys (aka Hokies)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
We just can’t help but crap ourselves in game 1.
If by crap ourselves, you mean simply losing... agree. If you mean playing poorly & losing... not the case tonight.

I'll pick nits & mention missed opportunities to push runs across...but the usual suspects (pitching & defense) were just fine. Need to hope weather cooperates to get 2 more games in... odds are we win them.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
If by crap ourselves, you mean simply losing... agree. If you mean playing poorly & losing... not the case tonight.

I'll pick nits & mention missed opportunities to push runs across...but the usual suspects (pitching & defense) were just fine. Need to hope weather cooperates to get 2 more games in... odds are we win them.

I agree that we played well. But if you're picked to be a top 8 national see by D1 baseball (and that is the site I look at first for college baseball information), and that is what you aspire to as a baseball program, you need to win games like this.

Deleted member 2897

Yup. I don't think we poo'd the bed. BUT, this is 5 ACC series now that we've lost the first game. Eventually we're going to lose a series or even get swept when we shouldn't. Its too much pressure to expect us to now win 10 games against 0 losses in these 5 series games 2 and 3. Sure, maybe we'll keep the streak alive and go 10-0, but going 10-0 against anybody is really hard.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree that we played well. But if you're picked to be a top 8 national see by D1 baseball (and that is the site I look at first for college baseball information), and that is what you aspire to as a baseball program, you need to win games like this.
I can't give the exact number... but prognosticators like D1 baseball have probably picked about 20+ teams as top 8 seeds over the last few weeks. I'm thrilled we're part of that list. Ga Tech should beat Va Tech 7 times out of 10. It was a road loss in a very clean game. Sweeping them in Blacksburg is much harder when they put together a well executed game like this.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yup. I don't think we poo'd the bed. BUT, this is 5 ACC series now that we've lost the first game. Eventually we're going to lose a series or even get swept when we shouldn't. Its too much pressure to expect us to now win 10 games against 0 losses in these 5 series games 2 and 3. Sure, maybe we'll keep the streak alive and go 10-0, but going 10-0 against anybody is really hard.
Agree

LibertyTurns

Banned

This was just disappointing, not a disaster, just disappointing.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I can't give the exact number... but prognosticators like D1 baseball have probably picked about 20+ teams as top 8 seeds over the last few weeks. I'm thrilled we're part of that list. Ga Tech should beat Va Tech 7 times out of 10. It was a road loss in a very clean game. Sweeping them in Blacksburg is much harder when they put together a well executed game like this.

I agree that the "prognosticators" get it wrong more often than right. However, my main point was not that we were chosen as a top 8 national seed, but if that is what this team want's to be, which if you don't as a player or coach you shouldn't be on the field, you need to win a game like this. Yes both teams played well. But if I'm not mistaken, we had runners on third with less than 2 outs 3 times and didn't score. One of them got thrown out at the plate. We lost 3-2. Get your job done, that's all I ask.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
To put a bow on last night's loss...

If you had told me...we'd have no errors & give up 3 runs (all by starter...none from bullpen), I would have said, "perfect... we'd probably win 50 out 55 games if all went that way" This happened to be one that didn't result in a win. No moral victories here, though. The fact remains... Ga Tech needs to find a way beat VT going forward.

My 2nd guesses of CDH follow & are not that big a deal... but...
1) I wanted CT to start. If they get all 3 games in without significant disruption (unlikely) then it is a non issue. Worst case CT warms, throws a few innings & can't get the normal start due to stoppages.
2) The decision to pinch hit Murray. According to CDH himself... Murray had yet to see "live" pitches since getting injured. He struck out...& he looked bad doing it. Not his fault.

Ok... NOW I'll flush it. ;)

Deleted member 2897

After losing so many first games, I’m worried one of these times we’re going to go 1-2 or get swept. I would not be opposed to moving on! LOL Imagine our poor guys having to spend a long holiday weekend in Blacksburg.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
To put a bow on last night's loss...

If you had told me...we'd have no errors & give up 3 runs (all by starter...none from bullpen), I would have said, "perfect... we'd probably win 50 out 55 games if all went that way" This happened to be one that didn't result in a win. No moral victories here, though. The fact remains... Ga Tech needs to find a way beat VT going forward.

My 2nd guesses of CDH follow & are not that big a deal... but...
1) I wanted CT to start. If they get all 3 games in without significant disruption (unlikely) then it is a non issue. Worst case CT warms, throws a few innings & can't get the normal start due to stoppages.
2) The decision to pinch hit Murray. According to CDH himself... Murray had yet to see "live" pitches since getting injured. He struck out...& he looked bad doing it. Not his fault.

Ok... NOW I'll flush it. ;)

I agree with #1 if it wasn't a short week. Much more doable if it's a Saturday to Friday start, instead of Saturday to Thursday. Of all our pitchers, Connor's the type of pitcher that can rebound quickly, but pitchers get into a rhythm of days off, and changing that can significantly impact their performance. So I don't have much of a problem with throwing X last night since it would have been a 6 day rest to 4 day rest for CT.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with #1 if it wasn't a short week. Much more doable if it's a Saturday to Friday start, instead of Saturday to Thursday. Of all our pitchers, Connor's the type of pitcher that can rebound quickly, but pitchers get into a rhythm of days off, and changing that can significantly impact their performance. So I don't have much of a problem with throwing X last night since it would have been a 6 day rest to 4 day rest for CT.