@Cowardly Castrated Turkeys (aka Hokies)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, I don't know the last time I saw a game cancelled because it wasn't convenient and a team wanted to rest up. Maybe they didn't realize Thursday was two days after Tuesday when they made up the schedule. Makes sense though, both from a rest point of view and also playing High Point with a 162 rpi wouldn't help with a win. Oh well.

VT has a really good team (for VT) this year with an rpi of 46. 21-16, their SoS of 25 has helped. They are 2-5 for top 50 teams (1 over UNC & 1 over #48 Sam Houston State early on. 4-10 against Top 51-100 which is not impressive. But they have feasted on lower teams 15-1.

They've hit a tough spot and are 5-5 in their last 10. Just above Pitt in the Coastal standing is where they were expected to be. Where they deserve to be given the close games they have Chokied on.

Recent ACC series going backwards:
Lost 1-2 @Duke (won Sunday game)
Lost 1-2 @WF (two 1 run losses) (won Saturday game)
Lost 0-3 Clemson
Lost 1-2 UNC (won Friday game)
Won 2-1 @Pitt.

I expect we'll win 2. Why? It's hard to sweep and harder on the road. Just hope that X throws a complete game tomorrow! Just so cowardice doesn't pay.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oops, I missed the first VT ACC series:
Lost 1-2 @FSU (won Saturday game).

So VT doesn't show much of a preference as to which game of the series they win.

Also, my wife was out doing a sewing group thing last weekend. Brought up the subject of a hokie being a castrated turkey. Two of the VT fans were adamant that that wasn't correct. Alternate facts are ruling some people's lives. https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/castrated-turkey-called-588f40b9a65fdc4f

Deleted member 2897

Yep, a cowardly, UCF-like ducking of a Tuesday game to rest up for our series. We've lost the first game in a series like 4 times now. So my only hope is we win game 1. I'll go from there once we win, but that's the focus.

With weather coming, if they try to schedule a double header Thursday, I hope we tell them to go **** themselves.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Anyone know how/what goes into readjusting schedules when disruptive weather due to impact weekend?

Fri just seems to be significantly at risk.

Is Sun an option? ...or is schedule committed to Thur-Sat.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anyone know how/what goes into readjusting schedules when disruptive weather due to impact weekend?

Fri just seems to be significantly at risk.

Is Sun an option? ...or is schedule committed to Thur-Sat.

Weather looks worse on Saturday than I remember. But only .19 inches of rain projected for 24 hour period, so we could probably get 2 games in on Saturday. https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/va/blacksburg

No way should we agree to more than one on Thursday and I think it has to be mutual agreement to change. Friday we could start and probably stop a game.

I've got no problem with a Sunday game. Gets us a day of rest for Hurter. I don't care what the first Sunday after the first Full Moon occurring on or after the vernal equinox is.

Deleted member 2897

Weather looks worse on Saturday than I remember. But only .19 inches of rain projected for 24 hour period, so we could probably get 2 games in on Saturday. https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/va/blacksburg

No way should we agree to more than one on Thursday and I think it has to be mutual agreement to change. Friday we could start and probably stop a game.

I've got no problem with a Sunday game. Gets us a day of rest for Hurter. I don't care what the first Sunday after the first Full Moon occurring on or after the vernal equinox is.

I doubt we play on Easter Sunday. They’ll probably squeeze in a second some time or turn the series into a 2 game series.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I also think you HAVE TO start CT tomorrow... it is possible that will be only day for baseball in Blacksburg this weekend. Otherwise.... you could have him (on Fri or Sat), get warm, then start/stop for weather.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A couple of interesting notes buried in the GT preview of the series on ramblinwreck.com:
• English took a hard hit-by-pitch on Sunday and remains day-to-day on his return to the field, while still being available on the mound.

• After catching fire at the plate the first week of March (six hits, six runs and a double), outfielder Chase Murray has missed the last 18 games due to an injury. He is looking at possibly returning this weekend.

My reactions:
  1. If English can pitch it doesn't hurt my feelings at all if he doesn't play the field or even hit. I think our lineup can produce runs without him, but we may need his reliability in the bullpen more than his bat
  2. Following up on #1, if Chase Murray is available, that will help our lineup if it is without Tristen
  3. I suspect we may only get in two games in the series, or have games with LONG rain delays which would force us to go deeper into our bullpen than I would like. Ergo my desire to have English pitching
  4. Overall, I have liked the "new" bullpen arms who are getting shots with an inning here and there compared to the "usual" guys. Gibson in particular has disappeared. And Bartnicki wasn't used against Auburn either (Hughes did pitch). Not sure if they were saving those guys or if they have fallen out of favor. Carpenter, Chapman, Roedig, and Jake Lee all made contributions and I at least feel like they are not likely to give up a crooked number...even if they are not shutdown pitchers.
Go Jackets. Don't lose in Blacksburg!

Deleted member 2897

A couple of interesting notes buried in the GT preview of the series on ramblinwreck.com:
• English took a hard hit-by-pitch on Sunday and remains day-to-day on his return to the field, while still being available on the mound.

• After catching fire at the plate the first week of March (six hits, six runs and a double), outfielder Chase Murray has missed the last 18 games due to an injury. He is looking at possibly returning this weekend.

My reactions:
  1. If English can pitch it doesn't hurt my feelings at all if he doesn't play the field or even hit. I think our lineup can produce runs without him, but we may need his reliability in the bullpen more than his bat
  2. Following up on #1, if Chase Murray is available, that will help our lineup if it is without Tristen
  3. I suspect we may only get in two games in the series, or have games with LONG rain delays which would force us to go deeper into our bullpen than I would like. Ergo my desire to have English pitching
  4. Overall, I have liked the "new" bullpen arms who are getting shots with an inning here and there compared to the "usual" guys. Gibson in particular has disappeared. And Bartnicki wasn't used against Auburn either (Hughes did pitch). Not sure if they were saving those guys or if they have fallen out of favor. Carpenter, Chapman, Roedig, and Jake Lee all made contributions and I at least feel like they are not likely to give up a crooked number...even if they are not shutdown pitchers.

Good find - thanks for sharing. Looking forward to getting Murray back for the sweep...err stretch run.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

My reactions:
Agree. The offense should be ok without English's bat. The best thing about that will be the freedom to warm English to pitch like a "normal" bullpen guy.

Deleted member 2897

Was looking up VPISUs book of work this year. They started 6-0 this year against a bunch of crappy teams. They were 1 run from getting swept by Bryant (who?). They lost to Liberty both times.

They had 1 good win against FSU on the road.

They beat Richmond twice when we lost to Richmond.

They nearly swept Pitt on the road (I'm looking forward to that series).

They had 1 good win against North Carolina at home.

Swept by Clemson at home.

Very nearly got swept by Wake Forest. (ie, they won 1 LOL)

They had 1 good win at Duke.

What does all this mean? It means baseball is a fickle sport. Even a team that has tons of weaknesses can put it together every once in a while and win a game. Going 1-2 against them would be totally devastating. Sweeping them would be amazing, but I think desperately difficult. So, here we are hoping for a 2-1 series. It seems like for any team in the Top say 100 that's about par for the course. What a strange sport.