Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

I can't speak to the interviews on FOX News and CNN since I don't watch either channel as both are hopelessly biased. Given the biases of both networks i'm not surprised by the reactions on either one.

As far as this study, I went ahead and read it and it has a number of issues.
First, Dr. Risch has been a consultant for multiple companies that produce HCQ, azithromycin and doxycycline. So he starts with a conflict of interest.

Second, even in his report he clearly states there have been no random controlled studies that support his point of view
" Some of my medical colleagues still prefer to wait until more studies are done and stronger evidence such as from RCTs becomes available, and government and professional advisory panels do reevaluate the evidence. I strongly urge these panels to reconsider the data and arguments discussed above. "
The problem with the studies he sites are since they are not randomized, controled studies (RCT's) you can't actually say it is due to HCQ that patients had better outcomes.

Third, his argument is that all the clinical studies that show HCQ is not effective come with patients who are farther along in their disease rather than early on and that HCQ should be used early on. This is no longer the case as there is a RCT from the Univ of MN released last week that shows no effectiveness from HCQ or HCQ with azithromycin used early on in diagnosis or as a Prophylaxis.

Also, here is a good study of the biases in the various clinical studies on HCQ, both those that showed no positive results results and those that did (including ones that he mentioned in support of his position)

Fourth, the study linked was reported on June 2nd. There are a number of studies, including RCT's that contradict his point of view since the publication of his study.
And while in his study he mentions the use of HCQ by doctors in some countries he fails to mention that some of those countries including France, Italy, Belgium and the UK no longer using HCQ, with France (one of the countries he cites multiple times) having banned the use of HCQ in hospitals.

Keep in mind it was due to the complaints from doctors that forced the FDA to change its initial guidance on HCQ as the majority of doctors were not seeing positive results from its use and were seeing some negative results so most moved on to other theraputics to try to treat COVID19.

And finally, Dr. Risch is affiliated with the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, a 5,000 member conservative doctors association which has promoted a number of scientifically discredited positions in the past such as HIV not causing AIDS and there being a causal link between vaccines and Autism.

The problem I’ve seen in some of these studies that say it didn’t help was that they are huge, broad RCTs. The people who have seen success generally offer specific protocols - with zinc, certain patients of certain ages and at certain times. I don’t doubt there are drugs which don’t work across all people and have much more focused success patterns.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Deaths @ 2.1%
ICU @ 1.9%
Hospital Admissions @ 10.4%
% of tests with positive results @ 11.5%

So 11.5% are positive, of those, 10.4% will be hospitalized. 1.9% of the 11.5% will be in ICU. 2.1% of the 11.5% have died.

Take time to look at the charts for state wide and your local area, some folks on here only see doom and gloom.

Right now GA's 7 day avg case rate and hospitalizations due to COVID have doubled in less than 3 weeks.
The 7 day avg death rate for GA has doubled in 12 days.
The positive test rate yesterday for PCR was 12.3%, for the last 7 day avg it is 15.1%. The percentage where GA combines the PCR and Molecular tests is an inappropriate metric because it combines 2 different tests that are testing different things and have different meanings.
Dr. Birx mentioned yesterday in an interview that the positivity rate is the single most important metric they look at and it is why it is included down to the county and city level every week in the reports they provide to each state. She mentioned even an uptick of just a couple of tenths of a percent is a concern because you have to jump on that right away and contact trace or it will get out of hand pretty fast. The recommendation for easing restrictions is that the positivity rate should be below 5% (for 14 consecutive days) and is even better if it is around 2-3%.

I'd consider 3,335 deaths and 15,922 hospitalizations so far a sobering statistic. In the 'nightmare' 2017-18 flu season there were 151 confirmed deaths due to the flu in GA and 3,139 hospitalizations.
file:///C:/Users/ugbp27/Downloads/Weekly%20Flu%20Report%20201820.pdf
If you use the backend analysis that the CDC performs after 2 years that will likely equate to 600-800 deaths in GA that year due to the flu.
Right now GA is avg a season's worth of confirmed flu deaths every week from COVID.

I'm hoping we are close to our peak as hospitalizations and deaths will increase for weeks after infections peak.
The Youyang Gu model projects our deaths to peak in mid-August but that by Nov 1 our deaths to have more than doubled to over 7,000.
There is simply nothing good about that.

Well, I'd argue that it was in fact your homework - you make a claim, you provide the evidence. Simple, straightforward logical argument guidelines. Also, not sure why you are being so cantankerous about it, it was obvious that you copy/pasted something - I was asking where you got it.

Generally, when posting, "so and so said that..." or "a recent article said..." it is good form to link to it, else you have to take the posters word for it which is seldom a good thing.
WHATEVA !!!

GT_EE78

Banned
> no real surprise here, much work needs to be done to cut off these scumbags
Chinese hackers charged by Justice Department with trying to steal US coronavirus research

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
All right tech fans, please refrain from making political references outside of the political topics forum.

Last couple of pages of this thread was scrubbed with possible collateral damage due to the quoting in replies. If you are looking to make a non-political reply to someone posting politics, might I suggest not quoting the post you're replying to?

I don't understand how commenting on a TV interview concerning a drug being used to treat the corona virus is considered to be political. Nobody's political beliefs were expressed, unless you consider a discussion of a legitimate drug (HCL) to be political.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I don't understand how commenting on a TV interview concerning a drug being used to treat the corona virus is considered to be political. Nobody's political beliefs were expressed, unless you consider a discussion of a legitimate drug (HCL) to be political.
Wait, who was being interviewed again?
  1. Doctor
  2. Coach Collins
  3. Superman
  4. Someone that works for a political campaign

Wait, who was being interviewed again?
  1. Doctor
  2. Coach Collins
  3. Superman
  4. Someone that works for a political campaign
A doctor was interviewed on one channel, and a political campaigner on the other. Both have valid and informed points of view, and both were treated differently, in both cases by hosts who don't know beans about medical science. One uninformed host was dignified, and the other uninformed host was rude and agressive.

Deleted member 2897

I thought the rule was that politics cannot be discussed. If we can’t discuss *any* topic so long as it includes references to people in or around government, that’s going to be difficult to police and it would seem an unnecessary restriction. You’ve got local state and national responses, regulations and mandates, and so on.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
20200724_094134.jpg

I guess he changed his mind again🤷‍♂️

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Or the two people that he is close to are people that he has regular contact with. They don't appear to be within 6' or even 40' of anyone else. I don't believe they allowed fans in the stadium. Am I mistaken about that?

Or, he's just a jackleg. Could be both 🤷‍♂️

But looks like the guy next to him cares more about Dr Fauci and others than Dr Fauci cares about him and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.