Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m dealing with this type of crap every single day at work. We’ve been averaging 80 heads per day quarantining either because of symptomatic, secondary contact, finally tested positive, etc. Here’s what’s been going on with what I believe to be the relative order of numbers of occurrences:

a. Lab has extreme backlog. About 50% of people now. Waits as much as 10 days. We just recently entered into a contract to get our people into the speed line.

b. Lab loses paperwork. Oh my, this is a high number. Individual has to retest. 5-10%, way more often than I could ever imagine. These are serialized, controlled specimens. Damn how do you lose so many? We’re dealing with different facilities and they all have the same issue.

c. Called the wrong person by accident. 1-2%. It happens once a week at least.

d. Last category here is someone calling someone and telling them they’ve tested positive and they’ve never been tested or got tested at a completely different facility. 5 instances so far. 2 from the fairground deal, 2 “out of the blue” and those individuals (no family relationship) panicked on multiple levels, 1 looks like just a mix up & maybe the category above. Damn near 1%.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My favorite is when a 20 year old was reported in the Florida daily death statistics and when asked if they had any pre-existing conditions at the press conference, the state health person replied they died in a motorcycle accident.
This is a twist on the original covid meme story that was told by everyone which was my friends mother/father/grandparent/etc died from some normal cause and the hospital wrote that they died from COVID. They fought against it but the hospital refused to change.

At least that story is a little more believable.

herb

Helluva Engineer

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I have no doubt that this has happened more than once either intentionally or inadvertently. Nor do I doubt that there are many clear COVID deaths that have been classified as something else. That doesn't really change the fact then when you see the same story told on your facebook feed 10-15 times with slight differences you tend to start questioning the veracity of it.

Deleted member 2897

This is a twist on the original covid meme story that was told by everyone which was my friends mother/father/grandparent/etc died from some normal cause and the hospital wrote that they died from COVID. They fought against it but the hospital refused to change.

At least that story is a little more believable.

False. See Herb’s link. Misinformation is bad.

Deleted member 2897

I have no doubt that this has happened more than once either intentionally or inadvertently. Nor do I doubt that there are many clear COVID deaths that have been classified as something else. That doesn't really change the fact then when you see the same story told on your facebook feed 10-15 times with slight differences you tend to start questioning the veracity of it.

False. We could all post the same motorcycle story another 100 times, and it would not change the facts of the story.

The stories are everywhere and they are real. Here is one about someone who died of Alzheimer’s disease. The family was shocked when the death certificate said COVID-19.

We have also posted the link to the CDC website, which still today gives official guidance that as long as someone dies WITH COVID-19 they should count in the daily death numbers. Whether or not that shows up on the death certificate depends on if they died OF it.

Last edited by a moderator:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
False. We could all post the same motorcycle story another 100 times, and it would not change the facts of the story.

The stories are everywhere and they are real. Here is one about someone who died of Alzheimer’s disease. The family was shocked when the death certificate said COVID-19.

We have also posted the link to the CDC website, which still today gives official guidance that as long as someone dies WITH COVID-19 they should count in the daily death numbers. Whether or not that shows up on the death certificate depends on if they died OF it.
So in your opinion every similar post on my facebook feed has been completely real and never once was fabricated?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
So why can we go from LA to NY in a metal tube breathing recycled air sitting in every other seat (takes 5.5hrs), but can't do that outside at a ball game (takes 4hrs)?

Deleted member 2897

So you acknowledge the possibility that there may be real stories and fabricated stories. The exact point I made that you called false.

Of course there is false information out there of all kinds. I guess I see why you are always so skeptical on here if you have friends who spew misinformation across Facebook and elsewhere. I don’t have any friends who traffic stuff like that. (I typically unfollow people who start posting all kinds of fake stuff like that.). It almost sounds like you have friends influenced by a Russian bot network - you take 1 legitimate story and then you spam it everywhere to rile up both sides.

LibertyTurns

Banned

It’s damn crazy for sure. One day the dude can’t come back to work for at least another 14 days from the date of the positive test AND he needs a negative test before he returns, next day the dude’s coming back to work tomorrow because they botched his paperwork and he was really negative all along.

We got people with hay fever. The local Docs will not see you if you complain of ANY C19 symptom until you’ve had a negative test. This lady sneezes 2-3 times a day so people think she’s hot for C19, she calls the doc & he makes her take a test before she can go to his office, she comes back positive then can’t see the doc because she has it, then 3 days later gets told they meant to call (making up a similar name here) Sonia Gonzales Hernandez instead of Sonia Hernandez Gonzales. So Tuesday when she gets the results at work we do the “12 ft circle rule” and send everybody in the cube farm home for 14 days which send 4 other people inside the circle home as well. On Friday afternoon she gets told there’s a mix up we tell them all to report for work Monday.

Damn nuts. Once or twice a week we get this type of fire drill.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m dealing with this type of crap every single day at work. We’ve been averaging 80 heads per day quarantining either because of symptomatic, secondary contact, finally tested positive, etc. Here’s what’s been going on with what I believe to be the relative order of numbers of occurrences:

a. Lab has extreme backlog. About 50% of people now. Waits as much as 10 days. We just recently entered into a contract to get our people into the speed line.

b. Lab loses paperwork. Oh my, this is a high number. Individual has to retest. 5-10%, way more often than I could ever imagine. These are serialized, controlled specimens. Damn how do you lose so many? We’re dealing with different facilities and they all have the same issue.

c. Called the wrong person by accident. 1-2%. It happens once a week at least.

d. Last category here is someone calling someone and telling them they’ve tested positive and they’ve never been tested or got tested at a completely different facility. 5 instances so far. 2 from the fairground deal, 2 “out of the blue” and those individuals (no family relationship) panicked on multiple levels, 1 looks like just a mix up & maybe the category above. Damn near 1%.

This is why I don’t trust the numbers. The procedures vary by state, test used, equipment, lab, etc. in Six Sigma, we’d call this Gauge R+R. No standards.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
It’s damn crazy for sure. One day the dude can’t come back to work for at least another 14 days from the date of the positive test AND he needs a negative test before he returns, next day the dude’s coming back to work tomorrow because they botched his paperwork and he was really negative all along.

We got people with hay fever. The local Docs will not see you if you complain of ANY C19 symptom until you’ve had a negative test. This lady sneezes 2-3 times a day so people think she’s hot for C19, she calls the doc & he makes her take a test before she can go to his office, she comes back positive then can’t see the doc because she has it, then 3 days later gets told they meant to call (making up a similar name here) Sonia Gonzales Hernandez instead of Sonia Hernandez Gonzales. So Tuesday when she gets the results at work we do the “12 ft circle rule” and send everybody in the cube farm home for 14 days which send 4 other people inside the circle home as well. On Friday afternoon she gets told there’s a mix up we tell them all to report for work Monday.

Damn nuts. Once or twice a week we get this type of fire drill.

What a nightmare.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I'm not doubting the story, but the important thing is whether this is an anomaly or happens more frequently. If it's just a one-off mistake, or represents only a small percentage error rate, then it's insignificant. I mean, if somebody somewhere filled out a death certificate wrong, it shouldn't be blown up into some big conspiracy theory.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Could you post that again? Maybe it's in some other document but I can't find anything like that in the CDC's Vital Statistics Reporting Guidance:

This seems to indicate that a death should only be listed as COVID if COVID is an underlying cause of death.

Deleted member 2897

Could you post that again? Maybe it's in some other document but I can't find anything like that in the CDC's Vital Statistics Reporting Guidance:

This seems to indicate that a death should only be listed as COVID if COVID is an underlying cause of death.

I’ll try to o back and find it - I linked it here somewhere. There is a difference in guidance between what is written on the death certificate and what is still counted as a death. And on a side note, you’ll notice they can count deaths (even on death certificates) even if the person never tested positive.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’ll try to o back and find it - I linked it here somewhere. There is a difference in guidance between what is written on the death certificate and what is still counted as a death. And on a side note, you’ll notice they can count deaths (even on death certificates) even if the person never tested positive.
You are all just wasting your time.

A. More people are dying this year than previous years. Not by as much as is being advertised, but death rates do appear to be up. Reporting is faster, cause of death is undergoing more scrutiny, etc. You can’t compare apples to oranges, but you can compare numbers of fruit.

B. The database was flawed to begin with. For example, Florida cannot have an above average amount of deaths EVERY SINGE YEAR going back decades. That’s just not how averages work. Other states are similar. It tells you the expected death rate needs to be adjusted so it matches the average for an average year. We should compare to that, not this irrationally low number. Lastly on that statistic, the numbers presented are frequently not actual numbers (actually more like 100% of the time), they’re statistically manipulated numbers supposedly to take the biases out. Their process makes no sense.

Bottom line is deaths are up somewhat. How much, I’m not sure anyone could tell. You need the raw data and we’ll never get it. It’s buried in some incompetent government lackey’s office that has not been visited by anyone in 5 decades & the people in there are either just trying to make it to retirement or that was the only job they could get hired for. They’re just trying to avoid scrutiny and we’re not likely to break thru the bureacratic fortress to root out the data.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Completely my worthless opinion, but it sure seems as if a lot of folks are questioning the accuracy of data (yeah it's often wrong in ref to Covid) and are ignoring the overwhelming fact that it's correct directionally. Geesh, you'd think somebody stepped on a MAGA cap or smelled Karmala's hair or something.

C'mon, a thunderstorm might produce 2.1 inches of rain, or it may have in fact produced 2.3 or 1.9 inches, but the point is....there was a LOT of dang rain, period.

The more the accuracy of Covid data is doubted, the wetter we seem to get out in the thunderstorm. No, I don't drink this early in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.