Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

A coronavirus cluster in New Jersey has been traced to a high school house party, and the teens and their parents are refusing to cooperate with contact tracers

We have the same problem here - these huge gatherings of high school and college people are sanctioned by their parents. No distancing, no masks, no nothing.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Dr. Birx mentioned yesterday in an interview that the positivity rate is the single most important metric they look at and it is why it is included down to the county and city level every week in the reports they provide to each state.

Two friends went for testing and filled out the paperwork. Told it would take an hour, they left and said they would come back later when they could. Notified by the lab they tested positive.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Two friends went for testing and filled out the paperwork. Told it would take an hour, they left and said they would come back later when they could. Notified by the lab they tested positive.

Have heard of this. Someone care to explain what is happening in these cases?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve heard this story soooo much. And it’s always “two friends”. Or a family w/kids. Wonder why and how it’s happening.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’ve heard this story soooo much. And it’s always “two friends”. Or a family w/kids. Wonder why and how it’s happening.

I know both and no, it’s not an urban legend. My understanding is that states
get federal funding based on a formula for testing and positives. It’s in their interest to find people positive.

I recall a victim (deceased) who died of blunt force trauma to the head. Apparently tested post Mort em and found to have antibodies. Classified as a Covid death.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

There was an actual report from Florida about the people in the car line who were informed they were positive even though they left the line. Turns out that some areas in Florida were counted as they provided name and contact information. Then the tests were run by vehicle number instead of by name. Most times I have been to a lab, they verify my name as they are putting a label on the samples. It wouldn't affect the positive count, and it wouldn't affect the percentage of positives. It would however cause everyone behind the person who left the line to receive results of someone else, so the tests at that point are useless.

I too have had people tell me that "two friends" had this happen to them at an ER room. Those people have different sets of friends, so it is doubtful they are talking about the same person. None of those people who told me was able to identify the "two friends". Facebook memes spread very rapidly through people who are gullable.

EDIT: Also I am not even aware that people can go to wait at an ER to get tested. When I have looked you have to make an appointment at a testing site. The local testing site doesn't allow people to enter. You have to call when you arrive for your appointment and they come to your car to take the sample.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
get federal funding based on a formula for testing and positives. It’s in their interest to find people positive.

I recall a victim (deceased) who died of blunt force trauma to the head. Apparently tested post Mort em and found to have antibodies. Classified as a Covid death.

Source on the federal funding for positive cases? I could see that maaaybe being the case for hospitalizations/admissions but not walk up tests.

And aren't most labs done by independent contractors (labcorp, CORE, cvs, etc)? Why would those companies have an incentive to falsify records?

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

Simply hypothetically speaking, what happens in this situation?

Lets say clinic A (schedules 300 people to get tested tomorrow). Those 300 show up and fill out all forms. 8 of those people leave because they didn't realize how long it would take or had some other emergency. Did the clinic just tell them they are positive? Did the clinic send false samples to the lab to get tested?

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There was an actual report from Florida about the people in the car line who were informed they were positive even though they left the line. Turns out that some areas in Florida were counted as they provided name and contact information. Then the tests were run by vehicle number instead of by name. Most times I have been to a lab, they verify my name as they are putting a label on the samples. It wouldn't affect the positive count, and it wouldn't affect the percentage of positives. It would however cause everyone behind the person who left the line to receive results of someone else, so the tests at that point are useless.

I too have had people tell me that "two friends" had this happen to them at an ER room. Those people have different sets of friends, so it is doubtful they are talking about the same person. None of those people who told me was able to identify the "two friends". Facebook memes spread very rapidly through people who are gullable.

EDIT: Also I am not even aware that people can go to wait at an ER to get tested. When I have looked you have to make an appointment at a testing site. The local testing site doesn't allow people to enter. You have to call when you arrive for your appointment and they come to your car to take the sample.

Thank you for that article!

“This is part of the testing mechanism problem. People are sitting in their cars, sometimes for hours, or standing in line, six feet apart sometimes for hours. You’re registered though, you’re number 15 in line, and you are Jay Wolfson. If Jay Wolfson says he can’t wait any longer and he leaves, it will get number 15 and now get Rebecca Fernandez, who was standing behind him, and she tests positive, and then everyone from then on gets the wrong results. There has to be a better way to do this,” explained Dr. Jay Wolfson, Public Health & Medicine Professor for the University of South Florida.

So it seems to be not an issue with inflating numbers, but rather can cause problems for contact tracing?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Every state is different.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Ah....that would make more sense. The total number of positives/negatives not necessarily being skewed, but the order of results after registered people waiting are leaving/screwing up the order.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow

I've yet to see a single instance of a first hand account of these phantom positive cases - I'm skeptical until then.

Milwaukee

Banned
I've yet to see a single instance of a first hand account of these phantom positive cases - I'm skeptical until then.

Were you the person that said you knew someone that corona literally scared them to death? The thought of it was so scary that it drove the person to their death. I’m not making that up, can’t remember who it was but one poster here literally said that, maybe it wasn’t you. My point is this, there’s a lot of misinformation floating around these virus threads but what you’re referencing being skeptical about is one of the lesser ones to be skeptical about.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m dealing with this type of crap every single day at work. We’ve been averaging 80 heads per day quarantining either because of symptomatic, secondary contact, finally tested positive, etc. Here’s what’s been going on with what I believe to be the relative order of numbers of occurrences:

a. Lab has extreme backlog. About 50% of people now. Waits as much as 10 days. We just recently entered into a contract to get our people into the speed line.

b. Lab loses paperwork. Oh my, this is a high number. Individual has to retest. 5-10%, way more often than I could ever imagine. These are serialized, controlled specimens. Damn how do you lose so many? We’re dealing with different facilities and they all have the same issue.

c. Called the wrong person by accident. 1-2%. It happens once a week at least.

d. Last category here is someone calling someone and telling them they’ve tested positive and they’ve never been tested or got tested at a completely different facility. 5 instances so far. 2 from the fairground deal, 2 “out of the blue” and those individuals (no family relationship) panicked on multiple levels, 1 looks like just a mix up & maybe the category above. Damn near 1%.

Status
Not open for further replies.