Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Europe doesn’t work for much of the Summer anyway, so a shutdown is nothing new to them. Part of the reason why they are Europe and we are the United States.

They shut down in the spring. Summer started six days ago.

Deleted member 2897

Europe doesn’t work for much of the Summer anyway, so a shutdown is nothing new to them. Part of the reason why they are Europe and we are the United States.

We’re the United States because we detest anybody ever telling us what to do. Sometimes that behavior doesn’t work out so well.

Deleted member 2897

Someone had previously asked if part of the COVID-19 outbreak in Texas and Arizona was related to illegal immigration. On NBC News tonight, they said illegal immigrants by the thousands are pouring in, positive with COVID-19, threatening the health of everyone else in detention centers. Officials are being pressured to release people into society so they’re not lent up inside detention centers. So great, now they’re infecting us instead of themselves. Brilliant.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Remember the whole "Well, the summer heat will kill the virus" talk? So much for that...

I was hoping that would happen, but no. I wonder if that's what some Governors like Kemp were hoping as well. Just go ahead and open up anyway and the heat will keep it down.

Deleted member 2897

I was hoping that would happen, but no. I wonder if that's what some Governors like Kemp were hoping as well. Just go ahead and open up anyway and the heat will keep it down.

The heat may indeed keep it down. But unfortunately the number of people congregating indoors in close proximity without wearing a mask have exploded the numbers such that there’s no way to tell.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@Milwaukee They’ve been projecting the death rate at around .25% for about a month now. With the rate we’re adding virtually asymptomatic cases it would surprise me now, Florida’s death rate dropped from 2.9% to 2.6% in just a week. I’ll spot the fact that deaths lag initial diagnosis but the average age is dropping, hospitalizations & need for ICU are not really rising, etc. I guess time will tell.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the point of masks is they prevent you if you have it from spraying aerosols of the virus out around you. You should also maintain distance. PPE is medical grade material they use at hospitals to protect healthcare professionals who are within close contact to all these things so that is different.

I always marveled about even during the shutdown we had 30,000 new cases per day. In hindsight, I think it was because people weren’t wearing masks and keeping distance. So whether you are shut down or not, you need to keep your distance and wear masks.

‘Thanks for replying..but I guess it doesn’t entirely address my point. Which is that, from my observation, many who are wearing masks look to be the cheap shop masks from Home Depot or home-grown varieties. Likewise.. are so many of the pop up (opportunist?) advertising masks online (from China?) conforming, or required to conform, to medical grade standards? If I recall (could be wrong) only the N-95 masks had a real certainty of protection....the others middling to marginal.

Please note that I’m not taking a side on whether masks should be worn or not — and I think it’s clear the recent spike is result of no masks + no distancing. [though I would debate separately what the spikes means on the side that others have taken]. But, if we’re to wear masks, where also is the minimum standard that qualifies as “protection”? Otherwise it’s likely just a fallacy of protection and a naive gesture of “doing the right thing”.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly, which is why we should have continued with the shutdown until we got that number down around where Europe's is now.

The error in that logic is that as big of this country is both in population and land mass — and because the virus incidents are no way consistent across communities — that systemic shutdowns punish and destroy a lot of livelihoods as collateral damage. Really shutdowns are a lazy and problematic approach for a solution — it’s also very convenient if your own way and livelihood isn’t part of the collateral that’s been going for the last four full months. Civilization and society is not designed to sustain long term shutdown.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The error in that logic is that as big of this country is both in population and land mass — and because the virus incidents are no way consistent across communities — that systemic shutdowns punish and destroy a lot of livelihoods as collateral damage. Really shutdowns are a lazy and problematic approach for a solution — it’s also very convenient if your own way and livelihood isn’t part of the collateral that’s been going for the last four full months. Civilization and society is not designed to sustain long term shutdown.

The shutdown didn't really have to be long if it was done thoroughly. I know we can't shut down forever. That's why it had to be done right the first time and as a country we failed to do that.

Deleted member 2897

‘Thanks for replying..but I guess it doesn’t entirely address my point. Which is that, from my observation, many who are wearing masks look to be the cheap shop masks from Home Depot or home-grown varieties. Likewise.. are so many of the pop up (opportunist?) advertising masks online (from China?) conforming, or required to conform, to medical grade standards? If I recall (could be wrong) only the N-95 masks had a real certainty of protection....the others middling to marginal.

Please note that I’m not taking a side on whether masks should be worn or not — and I think it’s clear the recent spike is result of no masks + no distancing. [though I would debate separately what the spikes means on the side that others have taken]. But, if we’re to wear masks, where also is the minimum standard that qualifies as “protection”? Otherwise it’s likely just a fallacy of protection and a naive gesture of “doing the right thing”.

Im not going to look it up, but there are numbers that estimate a very high percentage reduction in transmission just by 2 people wearing almost anything. So it’s kind of like someone begging you - just wear anything. Of course medical grade takes it almost all the way to 100%.

Deleted member 2897

The shutdown didn't really have to be long if it was done thoroughly. I know we can't shut down forever. That's why it had to be done right the first time and as a country we failed to do that.

But that’s just the thing - when we first shut down, they told us we didn’t need to wear masks...even during the shutdown we had 30,000 new cases a day.

Deleted member 2897

As a reminder, here is what our health professionals said a few months ago:

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

To give @bwelbo an assist here, this is a good rundown of why you should wear one - https://www.erinbromage.com/post/what-s-the-deal-with-masks
Basically (he says it in there) - my mask protects you, your mask protects me. Unless you're wearing N95 or better, then it works both ways.

GT_EE78

Banned
‘Thanks for replying..but I guess it doesn’t entirely address my point. Which is that, from my observation, many who are wearing masks look to be the cheap shop masks from Home Depot or home-grown varieties. .
I'm curious about that too, but you can't tell from the outside what filter material one could be using. I have no plans to stop wearing my N-95 any time soon.I'm astounded that there's no questions from media to the "so-called" experts as to when shelves will be restocked so that everyone can purchase a good quality medical mask as they have a right to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.