Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

slugboy

Staff member
If I am reading the chart correctly, patients younger than 20 were extremely small in number. iiuc, Japan closed its schools around March 1st. Is there an implication here that the very young (under 20) crowd is less susceptible (and perhaps even less contagious)? Or am I missing something....

I didn’t see the paper address why the cases for the under-20 age groups were so small. They cataloged a lot of people in that age range showing symptoms, though.
Day care and schools were ranked as transmission sites, but other than that I don’t see much analysis for that age range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t see the paper address why the cases for the under-20 age groups were so small. They cataloged a lot of people in that age range showing symptoms, though.
Day care and schools were ranked as transmission sites, but other than that I don’t see much analysis for that age range.

I remain very confused and of two minds when it comes to re-opening our schools. We are less than 2 months away from that now, and I know Atlanta has dropped all plans to re-open a normal schedule, and know the impact that will have on parents. I worry that we may be over-reacting based on limited data. I see studies like this one, which studied 15 different schools and found a transmission rate of 0.23%, in Austrlia, which would suggest that school shutdowns are severe over-reactions.
https://www.businessinsider.com/cor...d-2-pupils-infected-863-close-contacts-2020-5

I frankly don't trust "experts" and much of the media has an agenda on this topic (doesn't everything these days?), so merely telling me what the CDC recommends doesn't persuade me, per se. But if anyone comes across study data that might shed light on the matter, that would be appreciated.

Deleted member 2897

I remain very confused and of two minds when it comes to re-opening our schools. We are less than 2 months away from that now, and I know Atlanta has dropped all plans to re-open a normal schedule, and know the impact that will have on parents. I worry that we may be over-reacting based on limited data. I see studies like this one, which studied 15 different schools and found a transmission rate of 0.23%, in Austrlia, which would suggest that school shutdowns are severe over-reactions.
https://www.businessinsider.com/cor...d-2-pupils-infected-863-close-contacts-2020-5

I frankly don't trust "experts" and much of the media has an agenda on this topic (doesn't everything these days?), so merely telling me what the CDC recommends doesn't persuade me, per se. But if anyone comes across study data that might shed light on the matter, that would be appreciated.

In my worthless opinion, to me the biggest barrier to re-opening schools is bus drivers, teachers, administration, and operations people (janitors, cafeteria workers). Think about how many of them are overweight and/or elderly. Not trying to be insulting, just saying. Those people have got to be completely frightened about the prospect of coming into contact with dozens of kids every day.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
A few health experts were asked to rate a bunch of activities based on their perceived COVID-19 transmission risk:

a80be580-aced-11ea-afdd-16c0583366f4

I took the family to Universal Studios this past weekend, so we engaged in activities rated 6 and 8. (eating indoors at restaurants and amusement parks) I guess we will see within a couple of weeks if we got the virus.

slugboy

Staff member

It’s part of doing a research paper that you’re trying to answer one question, and maybe have a sidebar for a second question. There might be a second paper on the same or related data for that question, but it hasn’t come from this team yet.
I wouldn’t be surprised if one was out or coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to an article I read, there’s at least one country who is not playing the global pandemic game and that’s Tanzania. Several weeks ago, Tanzania claimed to have sent samples in to the World Health Organization for coronavirus testing. When all three samples came back with positive results, the Tanzania President John Magufuli reportedly revealed that they had, in fact, sent the WHO samples of a goat, a papaya, and a pheasant. This little trick revealed the WHO to be deceptive in their testing and reporting on the virus and therefore Magufuli saw it fit to kick the WHO out of Tanzania. The WHO has not addressed this incident.
This video lays the blame on Chinese test kits rather than on WHO, but with the close alliance between WHO and China, the distinction probably doesn't really matter ---

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
According to an article I read, there’s at least one country who is not playing the global pandemic game and that’s Tanzania. Several weeks ago, Tanzania claimed to have sent samples in to the World Health Organization for coronavirus testing. When all three samples came back with positive results, the Tanzania President John Magufuli reportedly revealed that they had, in fact, sent the WHO samples of a goat, a papaya, and a pheasant. This little trick revealed the WHO to be deceptive in their testing and reporting on the virus and therefore Magufuli saw it fit to kick the WHO out of Tanzania. The WHO has not addressed this incident.
This video lays the blame on Chinese test kits rather than on WHO, but with the close alliance between WHO and China, the distinction probably doesn't really matter ---

So, a goat, a papaya, and a pheasant walk into a bar...

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Your last post in that thread is at https://gtswarm.com/threads/the-politics-of-covid-19.21397/page-39#post-723149.
If you look at your recent activity on your profile page, you'll see your posting history (https://gtswarm.com/members/goldz.1946/).

@Supersizethatorder-mutt : There have been some medical flights (ironically) with every seat taken. When United was flying doctors back from NYC, all the middle seats were full.
Many Thanks slugboy. I missed the covid political board.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Do you trust WION? This story has gone around several circuits, but I haven't seen anything other than quasi-media people and social media posts claiming this to be true.

I believe that Tanzania's president has also claimed that he has cured COVID-19 in his country and isn't allowing any more testing. He also imported a tonic from Madagascar that was touted as a cure.

I wouldn't put faith into FB posts, a media outlet from India that I don't know much about, and the quacky president of a developing country.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I worry that we may be over-reacting based on limited data.

Man, ain’t it the truth about all this.

Do you trust WION? This story has gone around several circuits, but I haven't seen anything other than quasi-media people and social media posts claiming this to be true.

I believe that Tanzania's president has also claimed that he has cured COVID-19 in his country and isn't allowing any more testing. He also imported a tonic from Madagascar that was touted as a cure.

I wouldn't put faith into FB posts, a media outlet from India that I don't know much about, and the quacky president of a developing country.
I saw several other links that had pretty much the same information in them. I just chose that one.

But were any of them actually credible? Even if there is a credible news citing the president of Tanzania as making those claims, is he credible?
I realize he has said some incredibly stupid things, but yes, I think the REPORTS were credible. Some of the links I looked at also showed some of the stupid things he has said and done.

Deleted member 2897

Why can’t people just do their jobs? Here is the FDAs quote in their revocation of the drug:
Today’s request to revoke is based on new information, including clinical trial data results, that have led BARDA to conclude that this drug may not be effective to treat COVID-19,”

Well is it or is it not effective? They’re revoking it because they’re not sure, and they feel the side effects of the drug aren’t worth it. Well one side effect of COVID-19 is death, so what do you think patients think when faced with death. Sad. The whole purpose of emergency use is that we’re not sure how effective a drug is, but it beats just dying.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Why can’t people just do their jobs? Here is the FDAs quote in their revocation of the drug:
Today’s request to revoke is based on new information, including clinical trial data results, that have led BARDA to conclude that this drug may not be effective to treat COVID-19,”

Well is it or is it not effective? They’re revoking it because they’re not sure, and they feel the side effects of the drug aren’t worth it. Well one side effect of COVID-19 is death, so what do you think patients think when faced with death. Sad. The whole purpose of emergency use is that we’re not sure how effective a drug is, but it beats just dying.

Lets go ahead and approve drinking bleach. It hasn't been fully studied in double-blind randomized studies, so it is possible that it "may" be effective to treat COVID. Sure, there are definitely major side effect risks, and there are no credible studies showing that it is effective to treat COVID, but the risks of COVID are death. So, shouldn't we just go ahead and approve drinking bleach for patients faced with death. Really sad that denying approval for drinking bleach has gotten so political. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.