Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Well okay fine, you don’t like the authors who referenced the studies. Fair enough. What did they say, cite, or infer from the studies which you find false or misleading? Or is this just “shoot the messenger”?
I don't care about the authors or the study in all honesty. It could have been an opinion piece by Bwelbo for all I care. It just gets old hearing about how awful the MSM is because they don't cover the things some people want them to cover. Maybe what some people want them to cover simply isn't important enough to cover.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't care about the authors or the study in all honesty. It could have been an opinion piece by Bwelbo for all I care. It just gets old hearing about how awful the MSM is because they don't cover the things some people want them to cover. Maybe what some people want them to cover simply isn't important enough to cover.

Or....maybe....the "MSM" boogeyman is a bunch of BS that just allows those who want to gripe about something to gripe about the amorphous "MSM". The Wall Street Journal is hardly alternative press. They ARE Mainstream Media. WSJ publishing it IS the MSM covering it. Though some might insist that "MSM" is really only referring to the CNN, MSNBC, etc. aka the "lamestream media". Or really any news source they deem has a liberal bias.

Though it looks like even CNN covered the MIT report. (not positive it's the same one as I didn't get past the paywall but it seems to be in line with the summary). That's right, even terrible awful no good CNN.
https://us.cnn.com/2020/06/10/health/grocery-stores-universities-open-first-wellness/index.html

Those who want to spend their time complaining will read an article from one source of the mainstream media and then complain about no one else in the mainstream media covering it. When they did. Complainers will complain.

Or maybe it IS important to many people, but the MSM DOESN'T WANT to cover it. That has been shown in certain other instances, so it's certainly possible that it is the case here too.

Or....maybe....the "MSM" boogeyman is a bunch of BS that just allows those who want to gripe about something to gripe about the amorphous "MSM". The Wall Street Journal is hardly alternative press. They ARE Mainstream Media. WSJ publishing it IS the MSM covering it. Though some might insist that "MSM" is really only referring to the CNN, MSNBC, etc. aka the "lamestream media". Or really any news source they deem has a liberal bias.

Though it looks like even CNN covered the MIT report. (not positive it's the same one as I didn't get past the paywall but it seems to be in line with the summary). That's right, even terrible awful no good CNN.
https://us.cnn.com/2020/06/10/health/grocery-stores-universities-open-first-wellness/index.html

Those who want to spend their time complaining will read an article from one source of the mainstream media and then complain about no one else in the mainstream media covering it. When they did. Complainers will complain.
The WSJ pretty much goes across the board. They print a lot that the MSM doesn't print, and don't print a lot that others might want to see as well. They are by far the most objective media outlet there is overall.

Deleted member 2897

Okay, fair enough on this topic too. I can certainly understand how “FAKE NEWS!” gets old and tiresome. I was just trying to understand why you wrote this piece off calling it just an opinion. It seems what you’re saying is that you’re not actually passing any judgment at all, you just are annoyed about a separate subject (people complaining about news bias).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We live in the same area, you must be going to different stores than I do. I can tell you from experience the Home Depot/Kroger/Whole Foods off Ponce most certainly does NOT have a face mask rate of 75%. I would generously list it at 30-40%.

The Beltline has become a joke and I don't even go anywhere near it these days.
I agree the Beltline has very limited usage, and as far as the other stores, it was a perception of mine. Maybe because I always try to wear masks when I go inside anywhere I am more conscious of it....but you may be correct. I won't swear to my estimates being accurate.....LOL

Deleted member 2897

It actually comes from a twitter feed (yeah, I know, but it sure seems valid) and it says there that it comes "straight from our hospital data census column (TCTP)". Not exactly sure what that means, but it has me convinced it is real data. The twitter account seems quite legit, so here it is:
https://twitter.com/EthicalSkeptic

CDC has different numbers, but the trend is the same (if I am reading all this correctly) - hospitalizations now down to half of what they were a couple months ago.
https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_5.html

It almost looks like CDCs numbers need to be multiplied by 10. There's no way those numbers are hospitalizations nationwide...but that's what their listed as.

GT_EE78

Banned
Beijing closes all schools, bracing for a 2nd wave of the coronavirus
Beijing announced the shuttering of in-person classes for all schools on Tuesday in preparation for a new wave of the coronavirus. The closures go into effect Wednesday.The capital hub of 20 million people had gone more than 50 consecutive days without a new recorded case of COVID-19(wink-wink), the disease caused by the virus. But last weekend, city officials reported a cluster of 87 new cases, the Financial Times reported, 46 of which were asymptomatic. That cluster emerged in Xinfadi, the largest produce and seafood market in the city.
https://www.businessinsider.com/beijing-suspends-school-expecting-second-coronavirus-wave-2020-6

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
CDC has different numbers, but the trend is the same (if I am reading all this correctly) - hospitalizations now down to half of what they were a couple months ago.
https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_5.html

It almost looks like CDCs numbers need to be multiplied by 10. There's no way those numbers are hospitalizations nationwide...but that's what their listed as.

The way most of these virus mutate over time (Still not enough time yet though) is they become not as deadly. That helps them spread better.
I wonder if we are starting to see a slightly more benign version floating around?

Deleted member 2897

The way most of these virus mutate over time (Still not enough time yet though) is they become not as deadly. That helps them spread better.
I wonder if we are starting to see a slightly more benign version floating around?

Yea, it could also be that we've killed off the most vulnerable people and also figured out we need to protect the most vulnerable and are doing better at it.

The last I read, there are now 14 strains of COVID-19. From my reading on it, although mutations can make viruses worse, in general the mutations make it less bad. I guess we will see. From what I'm seeing and hearing, the people out socializing without masks and in protests are a higher percentage of young people than the general population. So we could see a huge spike in cases without seeing any change in hospitalizations. That's what we're seeing in South Carolina so far. We've been in an increasing case count for almost 3 weeks, yet hospitalizations haven't grown much. We're not yet to the lag time for deaths, but both of the last 2 days we only had 1 death statewide. Both elderly.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not until we have a vaccine or another defense.

Natural selection, remember? Until a virus has something that prevents it from multiplying, it won't change, except randomly. When we start to vaccinate, I expect we'll find SARS-Cov-2 mutating a lot like the flu does; i.e. a new vaccine every year or so and some years that are more deadly then others. And finding cures for something that isn't actually alive is difficult; it isn't like it is for bacterial diseases.

But we'll find this out going forward. Bottom line = I expect this thing to be a problem for the rest of my life.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Beijing closes all schools, bracing for a 2nd wave of the coronavirus
Beijing announced the shuttering of in-person classes for all schools on Tuesday in preparation for a new wave of the coronavirus. The closures go into effect Wednesday.The capital hub of 20 million people had gone more than 50 consecutive days without a new recorded case of COVID-19(wink-wink), the disease caused by the virus. But last weekend, city officials reported a cluster of 87 new cases, the Financial Times reported, 46 of which were asymptomatic. That cluster emerged in Xinfadi, the largest produce and seafood market in the city.
https://www.businessinsider.com/beijing-suspends-school-expecting-second-coronavirus-wave-2020-6
It's friggin June, this is NO second wave. It may be a reopening wave, but Fall/Winter isn't even at it's earliest stages until Thanksgiving.
We really really need an effective therapy. Speaking of which, the FDA and Oxford/Johns Hopkins, need to have a debate on National TV about hydroxy.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Where I live it still seems to be high usage. (Maybe 75%?) But, tbh, it is not like I have been taking surveys, but I have been to a bunch of Home Depot and grocery stores int he past few days and mask usage has remained high in my perception.

I counted for a while when I went to the grocery store today. I stopped fairly quickly because I was tiered of counting and I wasn't sure if I would start counting people twice as I traversed through the store. The number wearing masks was higher than I thought, but it was still 35 without masks to 11 with masks. That is probably similar to the ratio that I have seen in the last few weeks.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
An interesting article on today's WSJ cites 4 different studies using the latest data on covid, ALL of which have concluded the costs of lockdowns FAR exceed the risks.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-da...r-reopening-11592264199?mod=opinion_lead_pos5

Since that site is likely behind a paywall, I will summarize its major findings. A study out of Cal-Berkeley has calculated that the lockdowns saved 74,000 lives, which translates to a cost benefit of around $250 billion. That implies the value of a life is around $3.5 million each, which is a figure used by military in valuing lives of combatants for things like deciding whether to spend $4 million per fighter jet on safety equipment or not. (One can argue that the value of an 80 year old's life to society as a whole is...a bit less.) Given the packages the Federal government has spent already, the costs to our society have far out-weighed the benefits.

An even more recent study from economists affiliated with Germany’s IZA Institute of Labor Economics suggests that the Berkeley estimate of 74,000 lives saved over the past four months is best understood as an upper bound. The reason is that shelter-at-home policies don’t so much reduce Covid-19 deaths as delay them. Delaying deaths will reduce them if a vaccine or cure is found in time. But we can’t be sure that an effective vaccine will be produced and available any time soon.

That conclusion is actually quite similar to an earlier conclusion out of the UK.

An MIT study then found more lives would be saved by focusing on those most at risk rather than on society as whole.

By and large, the studies have found that social distancing and masks have done the trick and that lockdowns are not needed if those are observed.

I doubt you will hear ANY of this in MSM.
My parents' lives are priceless. There's no dollar value you can assign to their lives that would justify not doing what we did when we did it. Knowing what we know now, maybe that decision is different, but Monday-morning QB's always rated high. It was the correct decision regardless of the economic discrepancies.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I counted for a while when I went to the grocery store today. I stopped fairly quickly because I was tiered of counting and I wasn't sure if I would start counting people twice as I traversed through the store. The number wearing masks was higher than I thought, but it was still 35 without masks to 11 with masks. That is probably similar to the ratio that I have seen in the last few weeks.
Here in Illinois, I was in the grocery store this morning. Out of maybe 50-60 people in the store, including employees, there was exactly 1 person whose face covering was around their neck, and that guy was an *******.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Not until we have a vaccine or another defense.

Natural selection, remember? Until a virus has something that prevents it from multiplying, it won't change, except randomly. When we start to vaccinate, I expect we'll find SARS-Cov-2 mutating a lot like the flu does; i.e. a new vaccine every year or so and some years that are more deadly then others. And finding cures for something that isn't actually alive is difficult; it isn't like it is for bacterial diseases.

But we'll find this out going forward. Bottom line = I expect this thing to be a problem for the rest of my life.

The virus wants to spread as fast as possible, natural selection. Besides a vaccine, there are other ways for this to happen. The fact that we are social distancing and taking other measures is a form of natural selection.

You may not know, but the H1N1 Was the Spanish Flu. We still have it around today, but it is a much tamer version than back in 1918. Natural selection made it the milder version without a vaccine. Why do we not react to the other versions of Covid in the human population? The common cold. because it is mostly benign. It is contagious but does not kill people so we don't react to it. So it spreads easier. ie natural selection. But you can 100% believe when they first jumped into the human population that they were far from benign.

Deleted member 2897

LibertyTurns

Banned
Nursing home deaths top 50,000.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/corona...g-term-care-facilities-top-50-000-11592306919

Dr. Fauci admits he’s a liar (seriously):
https://thehill.com/changing-americ...fauci-why-the-public-wasnt-told-to-wear-masks

Who of us walks around with N95 masks? NOBODY. The fact he told us all we didn’t need to wear masks because he was scared we’d deplete medical grade masks is insane. That’s not an excuse to lie. What else was he lying about?
People have extraordinarily short memories. This was only 2-1/2 months ago. By the way add it to the White House was out in front of the WHO, CDC, media experts again. The WH pushed to recommend mask wearing before it was cool.

C.D.C. Weighs Advising Everyone to Wear a Mask
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/cdc-masks-coronavirus.html?referringSource=articleShare

Status
Not open for further replies.