Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

You don't see the contradiction when you complain about high medical costs and a NON PROFIT administrator with a compensation package near or over seven figures? You can't have it both ways.

I don't give a crap if someone is making millions a year in compensation. I'm an investor in several businesses, so I'm 100% about generating maximum profit.

I do have a problem with people who complain about high medical costs (you), then say they're OK with the people who are providing medical care making maximum amount of money they can. Like I said, you can't have it both ways.

I wasn't on here complaining about high medical costs. I was explaining how expensive our health insurance is, due in large part to the lifestyle choices other people make. What you're bringing up now (that I'm complaining about high costs) wasn't the point of the discussion. I was giving an illustration about what LibertyTurns was referring to you that you had asked him about. I'm not asking for anything both ways. I'm not asking for anything either way. The point here is yes you are correct - some people at the top are fleecing the system in a way. But you're incorrect that its a reason healthcare costs are extremely high. If you fired all those people making exhorbitant salaries tomorrow, your healthcare costs would only drop 1%-2%. I mean yay, that helps, but its not a big driver.

Somewhere around (depending on which survey you look at) 35%-40% of our healthcare costs are driven by lifestyle choices like obesity.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't on here complaining about high medical costs. I was explaining how expensive our health insurance is, due in large part to the lifestyle choices other people make. What you're bringing up now (that I'm complaining about high costs) wasn't the point of the discussion. I was giving an illustration about what LibertyTurns was referring to you that you had asked him about. I'm not asking for anything both ways. I'm not asking for anything either way.

OK, buddy...all your reponses are here for people to read. I'm no longer interested in continuing this with you. Have a good Sunday.

Deleted member 2897

OK, buddy...all your reponses are here for people to read. I'm no longer interested in continuing this with you. Have a good Sunday.

HA HA HA! Yep. And also, you didn't answer your comment about conspiracy theories again.

Why do you run away every time you post something that you say is irrefutable, but then someone is able to do just that? Its okay. Slow down, calm down, and just engage in some good old fashioned regular conversations.

Deleted member 2897

A few health experts were asked to rate a bunch of activities based on their perceived COVID-19 transmission risk:

a80be580-aced-11ea-afdd-16c0583366f4

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've heard that airplanes turnover all the air in their cabins every 2-3 minutes. So it could be a perception versus reality thing. It seems on the surface to be a very dangerous thing, but its actually not.
When I was flying last week the pilot came on and told everyone that the recirculated air was passing through HEPA filters and that there is little horizontal movement of the air in the plane. Most if the air motion is vertical. I thought that was interesting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
HA HA HA! Yep. And also, you didn't answer your comment about conspiracy theories again.

Why do you run away every time you post something that you say is irrefutable, but then someone is able to do just that? Its okay. Slow down, calm down, and just engage in some good old fashioned regular conversations.

1. Why do you put words in other people's mouths? What did I say was "irrefutable"? Are you projecting or creating a straw man? It's a wonder why people have issues with you...it's not because you "stand up" to people, it's because you can't keep up with your own replies.

2. I remember the our conversation about your conspiracy theories. First, it was answered by many in the thread, but you it didn't agree with your "conspiracy theory" and I frankly got tired of repeating myself. It's not other posters' problem if you can't understand something. That is why I have ZERO interest in the political discussions...same people, same inane discussions.

Seriously this time...I'm done here with you. Have a good Sunday.

Deleted member 2897

1. Why do you put words in other people's mouths? What did I say was "irrefutable"? Are you projecting or creating a straw man? It's a wonder why people have issues with you...it's not because you "stand up" to people, it's because you can't keep up with your own replies.

2. I remember the our conversation about your conspiracy theories. First, it was answered by many in the thread, but you it didn't agree with your "conspiracy theory" and I frankly got tired of repeating myself. It's not other posters' problem if you can't understand something. That is why I have ZERO interest in the political discussions...same people, same inane discussions.

Seriously this time...I'm done here with you. Have a good Sunday.

LOL.

You made a comment that your statements couldn’t be refuted. That’s why I used the word irrefutable. I mean, IIWII. I responded with data that showed executive compensation was a minuscule portion of healthcare costs and how lifestyle choices and obesity were a massive percentage of our healthcare costs. Again, it doesn’t mean you have to agree with me. You can google those things and decide for yourself. But the notion your assertions can’t be up for debate is a little high browed. And you acted surprised at how little I knew on the subject. That’s not a good look either. And no, you didn’t explain what conspiracy theories you’re referring to. Because every time you bring it up, we ask you. And once again you won’t say. Seems like a conspiracy theory about conspiracy theories if you ask me. I don’t know why you get so mad at all of this. Why can’t you have conversations with people who think differently than you without getting so upset?

I've heard that airplanes turnover all the air in their cabins every 2-3 minutes. So it could be a perception versus reality thing. It seems on the surface to be a very dangerous thing, but its actually not.
Well, I still don't want to be crammed into a seat between two strangers whose health I have no idea about.

on flights they arent sitting next to people. there is a seat in between everyone one each row. my step daughter just flew out from virginia to washington state and thats how she sat on the plane. i got tickets for my wife to take her back to virginia at the end of the summer and thats how i had to pick the seats for them.
I understand that they are now relaxing, or even doing away with, that policy.

slugboy

Staff member
I checked the yes and yes boxes yesterday. Still can't see my post or replies from yesterday. Suggestions?
Your last post in that thread is at https://gtswarm.com/threads/the-politics-of-covid-19.21397/page-39#post-723149.
If you look at your recent activity on your profile page, you'll see your posting history (https://gtswarm.com/members/goldz.1946/).

@Supersizethatorder-mutt : There have been some medical flights (ironically) with every seat taken. When United was flying doctors back from NYC, all the middle seats were full.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When I was flying last week the pilot came on and told everyone that the recirculated air was passing through HEPA filters and that there is little horizontal movement of the air in the plane. Most if the air motion is vertical. I thought that was interesting.

Interesting. Some facts on HEPAs here: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/can-air-purifiers-filter-out-the-coronavirus/

Looks like HEPAs will filter all of the virus to the extent that there is a good downward air flow of "clean" air onto a person. It would be interesting to set off a smoke canister in a plane and see the actual air flow. But TSA might not approve ......

LibertyTurns

Banned
Interesting. Some facts on HEPAs here: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/can-air-purifiers-filter-out-the-coronavirus/

Looks like HEPAs will filter all of the virus to the extent that there is a good downward air flow of "clean" air onto a person. It would be interesting to set off a smoke canister in a plane and see the actual air flow. But TSA might not approve ......
Airflow inside fuselages are modeled and tested. Not sure if anyone uses smoke or not. There’s likely someone on here that does that specific work that could provide more details.

Deleted member 2897

This is comical

There are some real hilarious things they snuck in there, not to mention the ranked severity...Pontoon Boat Rides for example. Why not regular boat rides? How popular are pontoon boat rides? And how are they one of the most dangerous activities?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are some real hilarious things they snuck in there, not to mention the ranked severity...Pontoon Boat Rides for example. Why not regular boat rides? How popular are pontoon boat rides? And how are they one of the most dangerous activities?

Pontoon boats are basically bars on the water here. Go somewhere and fish and swim and drink. Don't really ride but more float. I was just out kayaking for an hour practicing good social distancing. I did risk getting skin cancer from the sun.

Interesting "fact" is that 1/2 the men who drown have their flys down. (i.e. "hold my beer")

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This explains why noone has punched me for all of my foul farting while flying. I never knew... or understood.

Milwaukee

Banned
Pontoon boats are basically bars on the water here. Go somewhere and fish and swim and drink. Don't really ride but more float. I was just out kayaking for an hour practicing good social distancing. I did risk getting skin cancer from the sun.

Interesting "fact" is that 1/2 the men who drown have their flys down. (i.e. "hold my beer")

Uncle Roman - “A pontoon boat?? What in the hell are ya gonna do with a pontoon boat, retake Omaha Beach?”

Chet - “Ya cruise the lake. Ya swim from em, ya fish from em...even bring the barbecue out...ya tour the lake in comfort is all I’m saying”

Top 5 movie all time.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
No, but it’s in the opt-in politics forum. You might need to go through the settings in John’s pinned post at the top of the Swarm Lounge to go to that forum.

———-
Saw this report this morning: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/9/20-2272_article.

They tracked the superspreader sites where 5-10 or more people were infected at one time in Japan. The study is Japanese, the CDC is sharing it in the US.

1. Healthcare facilities (30%) was the strongest source
2a. Nursing homes and day care centers were number 2 at 16%, tied with...
2b. Restaurants and bars
4. Offices and workplaces at 13% were next. Lots of time indoors next to others.
5. Music events (concerts/choir/karaoke) were fifth at 11%
6. Gyms were next at 8%. Possibly the saving grace is that people don’t spend 8 hours at a gym, usually.
7. Next came ceremonial occasions (birthdays, funerals, etc.) at 3%, and finally
8. Transportation (airplanes, etc.)

To make it short, being indoors in a crowd is bad. Breathing heavy in a shared space is risky (singing, exercising, etc.)

I haven’t put together the numbers to compare COVID infections vs. hang gliding, but while hang gliding may be riskier, it isn’t contagious.

Another factor is that a number of people have been saying “young people don’t have much or anything to worry about”. However, the strongest spreaders of COVID 19 in the study were in the 20-29 age range, and 30-39 was right behind them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If I am reading the chart correctly, patients younger than 20 were extremely small in number. iiuc, Japan closed its schools around March 1st. Is there an implication here that the very young (under 20) crowd is less susceptible (and perhaps even less contagious)? Or am I missing something....

Status
Not open for further replies.