Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

Boris Johnson has been moved into intensive care. Made me remember how old many of our government leaders are in all 3 branches. I sure hope they can all stay safe - a high percentage of them are in at least 1 of the highest risk factors for COVID-19.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are a mixed bag of data going around right now.

On the positive side after getting a bunch of new data the model that Univ of Washington has the avg # deaths went down by over 10,000 - From 93,000 to 81,000 with a smaller confidence interval of 49,ooo-136,000. On the negative side avg projected deaths for both GA and FL increased while the majority of other states went down.
they actually have a great update article that explained all the new data and how it impacted their model. They have data to use from alot more sources (like some Western European countries), They have much better numbers in terms of what they believe they will need in terms of beds, icu and ventilators. They also have alot of new data in terms of hospital stays for different types of patients. How long avg stays are before a patient dies, before they can be discharged between those needing and ICU bed and those who don't.
http://www.healthdata.org/covid/updates

Spain and Italy both look like they have reached the peak. Now we get a chance to see how quickly it potentially can go back down after peak.
France still appears to be climbing as well as UK, US and many other countries that were hit later.

The biggest negative news is that Singapore is going into a 1 month lockdown tomorrow and Japan is going into a state of emergency this week. They were ones that largely fought off the 1st wave well. It suggests that if you rev back up too fast it can potentially start to grow too quickly - so figuring out how to open things back up is going to be really important as we get closer to a time period when we can start to seriously consider starting to have more people work.

Milwaukee

Banned
It'll be great if those that understand the new politics discussion rule refrain from quoting/replying to those that break it and just report it. Otherwise I may need to add this as one of the requirements of allowing access to the politics forum.

Will make the cleanup easier for the mods.

Thanks.

How about be crystal clear on your expectations? Just an idea, and I mean CRYSTAL to where there is no room for interpretation.

I don’t have a dog in the fight and don’t give a damn either way but lecturing people on the 1st day of implementation is kinda creepy.

It will make your life much easier. You guys don’t wanna monitor this crap, I get it, so lay the wood man. It’ll help.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
How about be crystal clear on your expectations? Just an idea, and I mean CRYSTAL to where there is no room for interpretation.

I don’t have a dog in the fight and don’t give a damn either way but lecturing people on the 1st day of implementation is kinda creepy.

It will make your life much easier. You guys don’t wanna monitor this crap, I get it, so lay the wood man. It’ll help.
You are right. I don't know how better to word "no political posts outside of the politic topics forum" though. I would have thought that included "quoting" and "replying" since those are inherently posts themselves but clearly some still do not (want to) understand.

I expected some to try to find loopholes or test the change as a way to be rebellious but I'm still giving everyone the benefit of the doubt for now to help with the transition.

You are right. I don't know how better to word "no political posts outside of the politic topics forum" though. I would have thought that included "quoting" and "replying" since those are inherently posts themselves but clearly some still do not (want to) understand.

I expected some to try to find loopholes or test the change as a way to be rebellious but I'm still giving everyone the benefit of the doubt for now to help with the transition.
Fair enough. Like I have said before, it is virtually impossible to keep politics of some sort out of any discussion about anything. But I think it's obvious that some posts on these threads (and yes, I have made a few of my own) are clearly outside the bounds. I am now virtually ignoring the newly dedicated political threads, because those discussions bring out the worst in me. I can only hope that I will refrain from saying anything purely political in this and other non-political threads, but as long as everyone else also refrains, it will be a whole lot easier for me.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
The seasonal flu doesn’t survive outside a body during summer months. Ever wonder why the flu goes away in the summer months? I don’t know what you have read about the drugs but they are working. A test was done in France 45 people got the drugs and 5 day later there was a 100% cure rate. There was a guy in Miami Hospitalized And was calling family members to say his good byes. A friend texted him about the drugs and Dr gave him the drugs he had a rough night due to the virus but next morning he was fine and now has since check out of the hospital. A guy in Texas had similar results. It is also the regimen that is being used in he Far East.

1) covid isn’t the seasonal flu.
2) the numbers from the study you are citing are entirely wrong. 26 tested negative. Follow up studies in China and also in France have refuted that study. Moreover the publishing body of the study said that the study itself didn’t meet the standards they expect in research.
3) good stories but can’t prove the efficacy of a drug

Take a step back and ask yourself why the worlds healthcare systems, research institutes. governments and anyone else would willfully let people die while sitting on a sure fire treatment. Are they all horrible people, maybe really not that smart, maybe they missed an article or tweet that you saw? If you can’t answer that without referencing a conspiracy, you should spend your quarantine deprogramming from your cult (Hannity Limbaugh 45 et al)

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
This is crazy... I can't believe grown-*** college-educated men are using "Some guy in Texas, took this drug and got better" and "A friend of mine texted me about this.". Holy poop guys, one of the head doctors in America, the head of Infectious diseases goes on national television and refutes your dear leader and still people blindly follow whatever 45 says. Just like his giant bald spot, you can try like hell to cover it up, but ultimately, his lack of leadership and grasp of facts comes back to haunt him.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
1) covid isn’t the seasonal flu.
2) the numbers from the study you are citing are entirely wrong. 26 tested negative. Follow up studies in China and also in France have refuted that study. Moreover the publishing body of the study said that the study itself didn’t meet the standards they expect in research.
3) good stories but can’t prove the efficacy of a drug

Take a step back and ask yourself why the worlds healthcare systems, research institutes. governments and anyone else would willfully let people die while sitting on a sure fire treatment. Are they all horrible people, maybe really not that smart, maybe they missed an article or tweet that you saw? If you can’t answer that without referencing a conspiracy, you should spend your quarantine deprogramming from your cult (Hannity Limbaugh 45 et al)
I’m in the healthcare field, so I’m working just as normal and not quarantined. But thanks for letting me know your “cult”

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bad day for GA.
65 new deaths reported in the 7 pm update. Going to be the worst day for deaths in the state by at least 50% more than the previous high day.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
When will this be?

ETA: Kinda like saying, "Meh, once we cure cancer it'll be no big deal."
Nah, nah, nah, dude. We should have a vaccine within 2 years and may have decent treatment by the Fall......

Deleted member 2897

When will this be?

ETA: Kinda like saying, "Meh, once we cure cancer it'll be no big deal."

The coronavirus has been around a long time and is well understood. It’s basically the common cold. COVID-19 is a more aggressive variant we don’t have immunity to, but it has a lot of common characteristics. The entire world is after a vaccine, plus trying all kinds of medicines. I would be shocked if we don’t have positive phase 1 clinical tests on both fronts within 3 months. Other countries are much more aggressive about this stuff than our FDA is.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m in the healthcare field, so I’m working just as normal and not quarantined. But thanks for letting me know your “cult”

Lol, you’re in the “healthcare field”. Sales? Admin? Vendor?

Terrifying that someone in the “healthcare field” is spouting off misinformation that could lead to people’s deaths. God forbid someone cite you in their attempt to downplay the virus bc you work in the “healthcare field” and it leads to the spread.

The anti-intellectualism in our country is frightening.

GT_EE78

Banned
Finally a day when US new cases dropped from 35K to 24K. hope this continues
Euro;s seem to be a bit ahead
Italy reported its lowest daily toll in two weeks, a possible indication the tide may be turning
In Spain, officials said fatality numbers had fallen for the third straight day while France reported its lowest daily toll in a week.
30K for today after 34K/25K for US new cases, way too early to celebrate but it's two days below a peak

Deleted member 2897

While the subject of this article is around reinfection and reactivation, to me it shows more evidence of something we’ve seen rumors of - a high 20% false negative test result.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/645016...-reactivate-recovered-patients-test-positive/

This is pretty bad if we’re running the same level on our tests.

On NBC News this morning, they sadly ran fake news again, stating South Carolina has no stay at home order. I live here - we’ve had it for weeks. And in fact yesterday the Governor at the daily press conference was concerned with non-compliance, so now there is jail time and fines for not staying home. I can’t figure out what the news peoples issue is here. They also listed Nebraska and Iowa on there as having no order, but our health experts specifically have said those states do have orders. I can’t get what the news is after here.

herb

Helluva Engineer
While the subject of this article is around reinfection and reactivation, to me it shows more evidence of something we’ve seen rumors of - a high 20% false negative test result.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/645016...-reactivate-recovered-patients-test-positive/

This is pretty bad if we’re running the same level on our tests.

On NBC News this morning, they sadly ran fake news again, stating South Carolina has no stay at home order. I live here - we’ve had it for weeks. And in fact yesterday the Governor at the daily press conference was concerned with non-compliance, so now there is jail time and fines for not staying home. I can’t figure out what the news peoples issue is here. They also listed Nebraska and Iowa on there as having no order, but our health experts specifically have said those states do have orders. I can’t get what the news is after here.

Hmmmmm, what could it be, what could it be? If only there were some common aspect among the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.