Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Tybee Closes Beaches and Bans Open Alcohol Consumption

To ensure everyone’s safety, the City of Tybee Island has moved to close its beaches and ban the open consumption of alcohol city wide. These restrictions will take effect Friday, March 20, at 10:00 AM.

While there have been no identified COVID-19 cases on Tybee Island, this latest move ensures that CDC-recommended precautions such as social distancing and limited gatherings are being followed. In addition, it will help a limited city work force maintain order and cleanliness. City Hall remains closed through the end of the week and the majority of city employees continue to work remotely.

These beach closings hit me personally. I've already changed our April wedding from a 100+ person event near Jacksonville to a 40 person booze cruise one and now to a 10 person beach event out on Cumberland island. If GA or FL shuts down beaches statewide, that means I'll likely have to postpone to September.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Georgia DIAGNOSED cases way up in last 24 hours from 287 to 420 with 10 deaths. Now in at least 50 counties.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/13...numbers-twice-day/7OQYX2NS2VDRNBP65ZVV54ZIDU/

There are many more cases out there, and probably in most if not every county. We still can't tell if the spike is because of spread or because of more availability to testing. Even now when we are being told that more testing is available, it is being prioritized to first responders and elderly. As such, the diagnosed cases are still far below the actual number of cases.

Deleted member 2897

We're being told there is a 4-6 day waiting period for testing.

Wow, that is crazy how some states are humming along and others are completely locked up in it. I hope that's one of the big lessons learned when this is over, so we can figure out how to quickly change and streamline things the next time this happens.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
lol. Yea let’s follow California’s leadership. The SKY IS FALLING OMG!!!! lmao

Man, I came on here after a few days figuring everyone would have understood the predicament we're in but you're still making a joke out of it? It isn't about the deaths so much as it is about overloading our health care system with the severely ill. Don't you get that? It's about the people needing to be hospitalized, and the demand crush for ventilators and respirators which we don't have enough of. Listen: There is a three-week lag time between contraction of the disease and the need for hospitalization. In <three weeks from now, many parts of the country are going to be overloaded with this. We're already running out of supplies and equipment now. Look at northern Italy. They're in the predicament we're going to be in three weeks from today. People are dying there simply because there is no room left in the hospitals for them. Hope you're not one of them - and if you think millennials aren't vulnerable to this virus, you need to think again.

Deleted member 2897

Man, I came on here after a few days figuring everyone would have understood the predicament we're in but you're still making a joke out of it? It isn't about the deaths so much as it is about overloading our health care system with the severely ill. Don't you get that? It's about the people needing to be hospitalized, and the demand crush for ventilators and respirators which we don't have enough of. Listen: There is a three-week lag time between contraction of the disease and the need for hospitalization. In <three weeks from now, many parts of the country are going to be overloaded with this. We're already running out of supplies and equipment now. Look at northern Italy. They're in the predicament we're going to be in three weeks from today. People are dying there simply because there is no room left in the hospitals for them. Hope you're not one of them - and if you think millennials aren't vulnerable to this virus, you need to think again.

And here is the real damning scenario that honest to God I hope doesn't come to fruition. Most of America is locked down. We're testing more and more every day and with an incubation period as long as 14 days, hopefully after 14 days of this we'll see a flattening of the infection curve. But then here's where the bad news is - young people from all over the country descended down into various places to party for a couple weeks on spring break. Some of them surely had the virus just like everywhere else. The virus has now over the past few weeks down there likely spread far and wide among that group. And now they're going to take it home across the country and we risk the chance of yet another wave.

This group that ghost rode the whip into a telephone pole, chased pokemons into funerals, ate tide pods for snacks, and enjoyed the skull crusher game can finally put the final nail into the coffin if this happens of being the single most stupid generation in our country's history.

Deleted member 2897

Secretary Azar said today in the press conference that 'tens of thousands of tests' are being run every day now.

He said the biggest problem now is that people don't understand how to operate, since they've always been restricted by the FDA. For example, he'll get complaints that there aren't supplies or they can't do a certain test, he will show them where there are plenty of materials easily available from other procurement avenues that they weren't aware of. Secretary Azar said every day they are doing their best to remind the states of their freedoms and to solicit questions and concerns and roadblocks and help the states through it.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Wow, that is crazy how some states are humming along and others are completely locked up in it. I hope that's one of the big lessons learned when this is over, so we can figure out how to quickly change and streamline things the next time this happens.

One of the interesting strengths of our country is the limited control and interference by the federal government over the states (Granted many would say it has way to much, but lets not go there). It creates this vast set of individual state experiments about what works and what does not. Then the state ideas that work can be adopted by the states that failed and vis-versa, you learn what not to do (If the states chose to)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And here is the real damning scenario that honest to God I hope doesn't come to fruition. Most of America is locked down. We're testing more and more every day and with an incubation period as long as 14 days, hopefully after 14 days of this we'll see a flattening of the infection curve. But then here's where the bad news is - young people from all over the country descended down into various places to party for a couple weeks on spring break. Some of them surely had the virus just like everywhere else. The virus has now over the past few weeks down there likely spread far and wide among that group. And now they're going to take it home across the country and we risk the chance of yet another wave.

This group that ghost rode the whip into a telephone pole, chased pokemons into funerals, ate tide pods for snacks, and enjoyed the skull crusher game can finally put the final nail into the coffin if this happens of being the single most stupid generation in our country's history.

Two things make this virus particularly insidious. One is the lag time between contagiousness and symptoms - up to 5 days or more. The other is the fact that it does affect older people more than younger (although 38% of the hospitalized are between 20 and 55). I remember what it was like to be young - thought I would live forever. So the young are crowding the beaches and living it up while spreading death.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I think we can all see that with the doubling of cases every 2 days when the virus is not contained and its incubation period of up to 14 days, we probably have another 7-10 days of linear case growth. I think we hit close to 200K cases before it flattens out. The real question is will there be another jump due to a lot people not taking this first round of social distancing serious. I think this lack of concern crosses generational boundaries and not just the young dumb ones :)

The amount of gnashing of teeth and panic will greatly increase & continue for the next 2 weeks.

Deleted member 2897

I think we can all see that with the doubling of cases every 2 days when the virus is not contained and its incubation period of up to 14 days, we probably have another 7-10 days of linear case growth. I think we hit close to 200K cases before it flattens out. The real question is will there be another jump due to a lot people not taking this first round of social distancing serious. I think this lack of concern crosses generational boundaries and not just the young dumb ones :)

The amount of gnashing of teeth and panic will greatly increase & continue for the next 2 weeks.

Unfortunately I think you are correct here. Tons of countries around the world are at 100,000 to 300,000 positive cases on a US-population per capita comparison. To somehow expect that we won't end up in the same area as everyone else is hoping for a miracle really. I mean maybe we'll see that. But I agree, we've got about another 7-10 days before we see the effects of the restrictions we put in place over the last week.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Everywhere is still only testing IF: you have symptoms, AND you have traveled to a country with an outbreak, or you have been around someone who has been confirmed to have the virus.

Places all around are saying that testing is available for those who need it, but when you look at the definition of who needs it, it isn't everyone you believe it to be.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I do not want to scare people. We need to be calm. However, I have several loved ones on the staff at Piedmont here in Atlanta. They are already overwhelmed. And many of the patients are a lot younger than you’d expect. We need to take this thing seriously and stay home and do our part.

Status
Not open for further replies.